The Student Room Group

How can I reduce swelling of my lympth nodes?

It usually goes down in a few days but it's rather uncomfortable so am wondering if there's anything that would speed up the process of reducing the swelling?

Thanks a lot.
How long has it been swollen for?
Reply 2
About 2 days
Original post by Anonymous
It usually goes down in a few days but it's rather uncomfortable so am wondering if there's anything that would speed up the process of reducing the swelling?

Thanks a lot.

You go and see your GP instead of taking advice from unqualified students on the internet.
Hey can I just pop im here and ask if it's bad if they're swollen for too long?
Have you gone to see a doctor yet?
Reply 6
This is not an issue to be taken up with the doctor, I have seen someone previously who has informed me of the harmlessness of these.

I just want to see if anyone knows any tips to help them reduce in swelling quicker.

If they're swollen for around two weeks or more it's wise to see a doctor.
Original post by dutchstudent123
Hey can I just pop im here and ask if it's bad if they're swollen for too long?

Yes it can be bad. If they're swollen for no reason, or haven't gone down after 2 weeks since an infection then you need to see a doctor asap
Original post by uptownpunkk
Yes it can be bad. If they're swollen for no reason, or haven't gone down after 2 weeks since an infection then you need to see a doctor asap

I wouldn't describe them swollen... just a bit bigger than usual😅 And it's been that way for like two months. What could it possibly mean according to you?
Reply 9
I wouldn't describe them swollen... just a bit bigger than usual😅 And it's been that way for like two months. What could it possibly mean according to you?

At the very worst it could be a cancer, but also harmless pus filled lumps, you will have to see your GP to find out
By not touching them. I have numerous small swollen nodes in my neck left over from past infections that never fully went back down again because I used to poke and prod at them all the time. If yours haven't gone back down within the next week or 2, visit your doctor but lymph nodes can remain swollen even after an infection has passed and never return to their normal size. Usually as long as they are under 1cm and moveable, you're fine but always best to get them checked over by a doctor or nurse practitioner.
Original post by Anonymous
At the very worst it could be a cancer, but also harmless pus filled lumps, you will have to see your GP to find out

Well it's in my inguinal region so I feel a bit awkward about going to the GP. But if it's that serious maybe I should

Well I had one in my neck that was larger than usual. When I went my doctor told me it could be reaction to infection, lymes disease, or cancer. Unfortunately for me, it was the last one. But that's why I advise literally everyone to get it checked if it hasn't done down in a while.
Original post by uptownpunkk
Well I had one in my neck that was larger than usual. When I went my doctor told me it could be reaction to infection, lymes disease, or cancer. Unfortunately for me, it was the last one. But that's why I advise literally everyone to get it checked if it hasn't done down in a while.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Are you doing okay right now? And did you have any other symptoms at the time?
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Are you doing okay right now? And did you have any other symptoms at the time?

Yeah I'm absolutely fine and have been for 2 years now:smile: thank you for asking :smile: I had a few that I didn't think were related until it came to staging and categorising my diagnosis. Some slight extreme weight loss, and literally feeling tired all the time. But a couple of people on my ward had the same as me, but literally didn't have any other symptoms other than the enlarged lymph node.

This being said, it's more likely to be nothing than something. Like I said, there's all kinds of reasons they enlarge. But if you feel like something is up, or they haven't gone down in a week or 2 it's better to be safe than sorry and get them checked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending