The Student Room Group

How do you deal with BAD freshers flu?

It’s been 3 days now I cannot sleep, I’m exhausted. I’ve had to miss my classes bc I’ve been bed bound. I caught it off a flatmate but unfortunately my immune system is terrible and it started out at a simple “cold” and now it’s not only a cold but throat pain, swelling, had my tongue occasionally swell, ALOT of phlegm, lack of sleeping (I can only sleep in the day when it’s bearable), runny rose, ringing ears. I have had covid 5 times and I’ve NEVER gotten this ill for this long.

I have tried lemsip, vitamin C, soothers and nothing so far. I have felt slightly better today but my lectures are on Tuesday and I have pretty much 2 weeks behind on assignments bc I missed last week due to this and I joined a week late due to clearing.
Original post by pixiebugzie
It’s been 3 days now I cannot sleep, I’m exhausted. I’ve had to miss my classes bc I’ve been bed bound. I caught it off a flatmate but unfortunately my immune system is terrible and it started out at a simple “cold” and now it’s not only a cold but throat pain, swelling, had my tongue occasionally swell, ALOT of phlegm, lack of sleeping (I can only sleep in the day when it’s bearable), runny rose, ringing ears. I have had covid 5 times and I’ve NEVER gotten this ill for this long.

I have tried lemsip, vitamin C, soothers and nothing so far. I have felt slightly better today but my lectures are on Tuesday and I have pretty much 2 weeks behind on assignments bc I missed last week due to this and I joined a week late due to clearing.

1st, check it's not covid. 2nd, make sure you let your personal tutor, heads of lab etc know you are missing sessions because of illness, check if there is a way to get access to notes, problem sheets, video lectures etc, there should be. The 1st few weeks of term will mostly be intro lectures and background, so relatively easy to catch up with. Re the bug itself, just time, rest and lemsip etc to get you through that I am afraid, no magic cure for the world class selection of hitchhiking viruses that freshers bring to the party.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
1st, check it's not covid. 2nd, make sure you let your personal tutor, heads of lab etc know you are missing sessions because of illness, check if there is a way to get access to notes, problem sheets, video lectures etc, there should be. The 1st few weeks of term will mostly be intro lectures and background, so relatively easy to catch up with. Re the bug itself, just time, rest and lemsip etc to get you through that I am afraid, no magic cure for the world class selection of hitchhiking viruses that freshers bring to the party.

1. yeah it’s not covid I’ve checked and I’m in the clear 2. I actually don’t even know who my tutor is but I’ll make sure to try and email someone, unfortunately I’ve already got 5 assignments due 😭 and I haven’t even been able to get out of bed to start them it sucks
Original post by pixiebugzie
1. yeah it’s not covid I’ve checked and I’m in the clear 2. I actually don’t even know who my tutor is but I’ll make sure to try and email someone, unfortunately I’ve already got 5 assignments due 😭 and I haven’t even been able to get out of bed to start them it sucks

There will be a process to ask for hand in extensions in a case like this, best to look that up and start using it as well. If you don't know who your personal tutor is then start with the course director or head of year depending on your local structure.
Reply 4
Keep taking lemsip at the stated intervals (don't take too many). It contains paracetamol which will bring your temperature down for a bit and this in turn helps you feel better. Keep drinking fluids.

Hope you feel better soon.
Get someone to visit a pharmacist and get you some nightnurse/daynurse capsules. These are much better than lemsip (although be careful of taking lemsip alongside other medications). Because they’re stronger than lemsip they have to be bought over the counter from a pharmacy (but no need for a prescription).

Also spray decongestant (have a hot bath/shower to reduce congestion with steam before spraying your nose to maximise the effect) and nasal strips (the anti snore ones) are worthwhile using to help you sleep. If you can get enough sleep then you’ll feel better able to cope with all your symptoms.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by username3729415
Im so ill too, do you have a migraine? I cant get out of bed because my head kills

Did you have your meningitis vaccines before university?
do you have any other symptoms https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/meningitis/symptoms/ (particularly the stiff neck and aversion to light which isn’t normally a symptom of cold/flu).

if you think you might have meningitis then call 111/999 asap. Students die from meningitis - it’s why there is so much publicity about vaccinations but the publicity has reduced in recent years.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by username3729415
Im so ill too, do you have a migraine? I cant get out of bed because my head kills

I had a small migraine my symptoms have gone down a lot now it’s just a sore throat, cough and ear pain. I tried lemsip and as much a I hate it’s very good but bc of the caffeine in it I’m not sleeping at night
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Get someone to visit a pharmacist and get you some nightnurse/daynurse capsules. These are much better than lemsip (although be careful of taking lemsip alongside other medications). Because they’re stronger than lemsip they have to be bought over the counter from a pharmacy (but no need for a prescription).

Also spray decongestant (have a hot bath/shower to reduce congestion with steam before spraying your nose to maximise the effect) and nasal strips (the anti snore ones) are worthwhile using to help you sleep. If you can get enough sleep then you’ll feel better able to cope with all your symptoms.

Omfggg thank you so much I’ll see if I can get some today as I’m still struggling to sleep at night
Reply 9
hi i didn’t recover for 3 weeks and i did exactly as you did. if you have the energy for cooking make an egg drop soup (it basically healed me) if not, packet soups are just as soothing. ibuprofen for any pains. lemsip capsules RATHER than the sachets. so so so much water. If you can get a nasal inhaler great, a cough medicine if you can, i had beecham and it was disgusting but would soothe my cough enough to let me sleep at night. i had the exact same symptoms as you and by your description, to the same extent. i sympathise, you might feel like you’re being dramatic but you’ll recover, it may just take a while. hope you get well soon
Reply 10
Original post by CS nerd
hi i didn’t recover for 3 weeks and i did exactly as you did. if you have the energy for cooking make an egg drop soup (it basically healed me) if not, packet soups are just as soothing. ibuprofen for any pains. lemsip capsules RATHER than the sachets. so so so much water. If you can get a nasal inhaler great, a cough medicine if you can, i had beecham and it was disgusting but would soothe my cough enough to let me sleep at night. i had the exact same symptoms as you and by your description, to the same extent. i sympathise, you might feel like you’re being dramatic but you’ll recover, it may just take a while. hope you get well soon

Thank you so much honestly sucks bc everything seems to be going downhill for me atm 🥲 and this long cold is the last thing I honestly need I will probably be going out today and buying lots of tinned soup. It’s been 5-6 days in and I am SICK of lemsip and water so much ngl.

Quick Reply

Latest