The Student Room Group

Most controversial transfers in Football

So what is the most controversial transfers in Football. I can remember Sol Campbell going from Spurs to Arsenal and Figo going from Barcelona to Real Madrid.
Reply 1
Original post by Rock Fan
So what is the most controversial transfers in Football. I can remember Sol Campbell going from Spurs to Arsenal and Figo going from Barcelona to Real Madrid.

Figo was the one who immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title.

They're the highest profile ones I can think of, though there have probably been more contentious ones - and willing to bet in either Italy or South America.
Reply 2
Cole to Chelsea too? :holmes:
Glenn Murray to Palace - then back again.
Reply 4
Jon Obi Mikel to Chelsea
Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham is another.

I'm biased, but Campbell was surely the worst.
Original post by rockrunride
Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham is another.

I'm biased, but Campbell was surely the worst.

Don't think anything will ever top Figo having a pigs head thrown at him during the game.
Rooney was described as Judas when he left Everton....
Original post by sr90
Don't think anything will ever top Figo having a pigs head thrown at him during the game.

Apparently when Niko Kranjčar moved from Dinamo Zagreb to Hajduk, fans of the former turned up en masse outside his house with torches and banners saying "You're dead to us".
It's common in some countries though.. like Italian clubs sell to each other all the time. Look at where Ibrahimovic has been - 3 top Italian clubs.

Gotze to Bayern wasn't great since it was just announced before the CL final between the two teams.

Mbappe to PSG from Monaco is pretty mad.. so much money for a youngster and the bizarre structure to loan now (guess to get around FFP).
(edited 6 years ago)
Torres to Chelsea for £50 million
For me is the worst transfer ever to happen. Liverpool made the most out of him and Chelsea were robbed.
Original post by Rock Fan

In the presence it is Neymar in my opinion, the (still) most expensive transfer in football history, the sums of money is just crazy and it will never come to an end, I am afraid.

Agree with Figo. As far as I remember he was pelted with a head of a pig in a classico game.
On the controversy scale, Figo's transfer to Real Madrid tops is the highest IMO. All the ingredients for a controversial transfer were there (Real-Barca rivalry, Figo being the best player for his club and country and one of the best in the world, the release clause that Real activated but Figo didn't seem that enthused to join Real but was forced into eventually as he'd have had to pay Florentino Perez alot of money for not doing so) and only thing that would top it would be Messi joining Real Madrid, which won't happen.

Neymar's transfer was a shock but not controversial as it was inevitable with the rise in transfer fees that A club prodigiously financed would pay a ridiculous amount of money for a player. Had Neymar joined Real Madrid for that amount, then yes.

I'd suggest the Tevez-Mascherano transfer to West Ham and the punishments and the consequences would be high on the list for controversial transfers involving an English club.
Original post by sr90

How the hell you sneak a pig's head through the turnstiles remains beyond me.

Campbell for all the carry-on in the close season, how much he loved the club, "I'm staying", full awareness of his transfer value, to then do that - unforgivable.
Original post by rockrunride
How the hell you sneak a pig's head through the turnstiles remains beyond me.

Campbell for all the carry-on in the close season, how much he loved the club, "I'm staying", full awareness of his transfer value, to then do that - unforgivable.

Snaking to join your major rivals is just another level. I do remember it happening but probably not old enough to appreciate it.

I know Alan Smith did the same, and that was controversial to some degree, but he didn't have a choice.
Original post by 04MR17
Rooney was described as Judas when he left Everton....

Yeah, I remember. When he movet to Manchester United, he was the greatest talent in English football, played a great EURO 2004 and I can understand that a great part of Everton fans got mad. But after 13 years at this club, it can be said he made the right decision for hisself.
And there was Rio Ferdinand who went from Leeds to Man United but again that was largely due to Leeds' financial troubles

Quick Reply

Latest