The Student Room Group

do people make more than 1 or 2 silly mistakes in GCSEs?

I make a lot of dumb mistakes so I want to know if I am well prepared and ready if I will still make these mistakes because they seem to be really costly looking at the grade boundaries.

Scroll to see replies

No
Reply 2
Original post by Student-95
No

Great:colondollar:
Original post by idrc
I make a lot of dumb mistakes so I want to know if I am well prepared and ready if I will still make these mistakes because they seem to be really costly looking at the grade boundaries.

Not sure about the actual gcse, but I made a few mistakes some of which were actually silly mistakes in my previous maths mock, it doesn't mean you're not prepared, though, as you get better and with practice you will make less mistakes, and check your work. I didn't really check my work and when I did I rushed through checking it so I didn't actually spot it, it will only cost you grades if you make a lot or were close to the grade boundaries if next grade, there is quote a lot of difference between minimum marks for each grade boundaries, like 54 marks for a 4 and 81 marks for a 5.
Reply 4
Original post by Iahmed512
Not sure about the actual gcse, but I made a few mistakes some of which were actually silly mistakes in my previous maths mock, it doesn't mean you're not prepared, though, as you get better and with practice you will make less mistakes, and check your work. I didn't really check my work and when I did I rushed through checking it so I didn't actually spot it, it will only cost you grades if you make a lot or were close to the grade boundaries if next grade, there is quote a lot of difference between minimum marks for each grade boundaries, like 54 marks for a 4 and 81 marks for a 5.

I checked them and the difference between A star and A in a few subjects was 6 or 7 which makes me feel scared lol
Yep and thats why some of them get a D instead of an A. I wonder why?
Original post by idrc
I checked them and the difference between A star and A in a few subjects was 6 or 7 which makes me feel scared lol

So what's the difference between it in grade 1-9, yeah for subjects like science it makes a big difference especially with combined, so it would be around 7 marks difference between each grade. Don't worry, I know how you feel, if you revise a lot as long as you don't panic and get really nervous, you won't make a lot of silly mistakes and check your work in case you do, it's normal to make some silly mistakes because of exam pressure, and it's fine to get a bit nervous but not too much.
Reply 7
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Yep and thats why some of them get a D instead of an A.

That's not what I expected
Original post by idrc
That's not what I expected

My post? or the answer?
Yep and thats why some of them get a D instead of an A. I wonder why?

What do you mean to say?
What do you mean to say?

Oh so basically when students dont check their answers or make mistake in the exam and dont go back to check it, then they get a lower grade than they should be getting
Oh so basically when students dont check their answers or make mistake in the exam and dont go back to check it, then they get a lower grade than they should be getting

Oh right but I don't think that would make the difference between a D and A just from silly mistakes alone, with gcses people probably make less from practice and experience
Oh right but I don't think that would make the difference between a D and A just from silly mistakes alone, with gcses people probably make less from practice and experience

Lol I know. I was exagerrating
Lol I know. I was exagerrating

Didn't seem like it, well you must exaggerate a lot then.
Didn't seem like it, well you must exaggerate a lot then.

Yes I do, its interesting to see ppls reactions to it.
Did you by any chance have a problem with that first post are sent?
There's a process. That's why practice is essential.
1. Make mistakes (not intentionally)
2. Identify those mistakes (some way or the other)
3. Fix those mistakes.
4. Enjoy a better grade. i.e Given that you do make mistakes and possibly a lot.

Persons who make mistakes don't necessarily deserve a better grade. But the less you make them the better you're bound to do. i.e what tests are about, you have to be able to make little to no mistakes to guarantee success in a test/exam, you have to be able to work well under pressure.
So, no. If you are well prepared, you become a master or something. You will not make 'dumb' mistakes.
Yes I do, its interesting to see ppls reactions to it.
Did you by any chance have a problem with that first post are sent?

Did you mean "I" instead of "are". I can take and understand jokes but I sometimes find it hard to tell when people are exaggerating or being sarcastic, yeah I kind of did.
Yes but it isn't all detrimental to your overall grade-those one or two marks would be super costly at A-level but down at GCSE nothing much would happen. Obviously there are times where you could be one or two marks off a a better grade so always try to identify and rectify them nonetheless!
Did you mean "I" instead of "are". I can take and understand jokes but I sometimes find it hard to tell when people are exaggerating or being sarcastic, yeah I kind of did.

Yep I meant 'I'. Yh I understand, especially when its via text or online. So my bad if it did come across as a problem :smile:
no, everyone gets 100%

Quick Reply

Latest