The Student Room Group

Buy S&P 500 now?

the volatility has sent the market indices into fear. but the market seems to have stabilized and recovered a bit. US economy is still bullish in long term despite the peter schiff FUD. People are still willing to lend money to the US. Buy the dip?
Always best to buy when it's low ... and it's low-ish currently.

As with all stocks:
- Could it go lower? Yes
- Could it go higher? Yes
That's part of the risk. Usually best to pick the stocks/companies which you use & like, then research their current situation, review their upcoming planned changes, then invest in the top 1-3 you can afford.

Is this what you were referring?
bought S&P at 2690 ish and sold at 2730 ish. Now its 2780. :facepalm2:

i am such a noob.
Original post by HucktheForde
bought S&P at 2690 ish and sold at 2730 ish. Now its 2780. :facepalm2:

i am such a noob.

If you want to trade then trade forex on margin. Trading such a slow moving beast like the spx500 is just a waste of time in my opinion.

Still 1.5% profit on your trade, at least you made a profit.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
If you want to trade then trade forex on margin. Trading such a slow moving beast like the spx500 is just a waste of time in my opinion.

Still 1.5% profit on your trade, at least you made a profit.

there was volatility for the past few weeks.
Reply 5
bought S&P at 2690 ish and sold at 2730 ish.

What was your reason for selling?
Original post by DeeWave
What was your reason for selling?

FUD
Reply 7
FUD

Yeah fair bit of uncertainty atm
Original post by DeeWave
Yeah fair bit of uncertainty atm

i am not complaining anymore. glad i sold it. LOL
Reply 9
If you buy an index fund(as everyone should), you stay there for the long run. Over the last 50 years it has yielded on average 10% a year. Don’t be afraid of crashes, as the market ALWAYS recovers. Even if you invested right before the 2008 crash you would STILL be in profit if you held onto it for 3 years.

Unless you are an expert, it is not really advisable to trade individual stocks as you’re essentially trying to beat the market, which is very, very hard. With an index fund you simply get your share of the market. And the market always goes up in the long run.
Reply 10
Original post by Thomazo
If you buy an index fund(as everyone should), you stay there for the long run. Over the last 50 years it has yielded on average 10% a year. Don’t be afraid of crashes, as the market ALWAYS recovers. Even if you invested right before the 2008 crash you would STILL be in profit if you held onto it for 3 years.

Unless you are an expert, it is not really advisable to trade individual stocks as you’re essentially trying to beat the market, which is very, very hard. With an index fund you simply get your share of the market. And the market always goes up in the long run.

What if you want income rather than capital return?
Original post by Thomazo

you are right.

However volatility was high these few weeks, couldnt resist trading it...
Manage to jump in and out a few more times picking up 10 - 20 ticks.

Man this volatility is unreal. Trump is making day trading great again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending