The Student Room Group

Mathematics (HELP) 3

Steph is solving a problem. Cube A has a surface area of 150 cm2 Cube B has sides half the length of cube A

What is the volume of cube B?

To solve this problem, Steph decides to:
- halve the surface area
-calculate the square root of the answer then divide by 6
- then cube this answer to work out the volume.
Evaluate Steph’s method.

[2 marks]
I won't give the answer but some hints.

If cube A has surface area 150, then 6x^2=150 --> x^2 = 25. This mean each side length is 5 then you can...?

Also you probably made a mistake copying the question in the second bullet point -these shouldn't be together in the same point.
Original post by thekidwhogames
I won't give the answer but some hints.

If cube A has surface area 150, then 6x^2=150 --> x^2 = 25. This mean each side length is 5 then you can...?

Also you probably made a mistake copying the question in the second bullet point -these shouldn't be together in the same point.

I actually have no idea whats going on:frown: and its 2 marks as well- don't understand.
Original post by GCSE_18
Steph is solving a problem. Cube A has a surface area of 150 cm2 Cube B has sides half the length of cube A

- halve the surface area
Evaluate Steph’s method.

[2 marks]

First, ignore Steph and work it out yourself. Then point out the differences in your method and Steph's method and say why his answer is the same or is different to your answer
Original post by GCSE_18

- halve the surface area
Evaluate Steph’s method.

[2 marks]

You know a cube has 6 sides, so do 150 divided by 6 and you have the area of 1 side. you should be able to do it from there
Original post by Baza2002
You know a cube has 6 sides, so do 150 divided by 6 and you have the area of 1 side. you should be able to do it from there

Thank You, however, I need help on how to do Steph's method without a calculator (i looked at the mark scheme but find it hard to understand it).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GCSE_18

- halve the surface area
Evaluate Steph’s method.

[2 marks]

Hi there :wavey:
I've moved your thread to the Maths forum where hopefully you'll get more answers :smile: In future, it's best to select the subject from the list here and create a thread in there instead :yep: If you want to see where threads belong, check out this thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest