The Student Room Group

Under 16 banned from buying energy drink

Most major supermarkets have banned the selling for energy drinks to under 16s. This comes amid concerns around high sugar and caffeine levels in the drinks.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Should they ban energy drinks? How many energy drinks a week do you drink?

Scroll to see replies

It makes sense. I've heard the number of kids who need their teeth taken out is increasing at a shocking rate due to sugar. I personally don't drink them at all. I don't need to.
Reply 2
I disagree,
The amount of times a Red Bull has helped me through when I got barely any sleep. If you're concerned about high caffeine levels, why not consider coffee not being for chidlren? I know people who would drink 2-3 macchiatos on the way to school, no idea how.
Eh I'm quite split on this.

I don't really like that everything seems to be so regulated, and now the consumer being told by the retailer that they can't buy a drink because it contains a bit too much sugar and caffeine. When do we know that we've gone too far? What next, are they going to ban kids from buying chocolate unless accompanied by an adult?

But on the other hand, it's a good way to stop young kids guzzling these before and during school and suffering with the rise and fall of a caffeine buzz. In my mind it should be down to the parent though to educate their kids on the dangers of excessive energy drink consumption, not the retailers.

So really it's just a parenting issue. Nothing wrong with an energy drink here and there, but you shouldn't really be letting your child drink them day by day.
Given the amount of crap in these drinks, I'm not surprised. But I am surprised it's taken them this long to ban them.
young people have far too much energy anyway. they should be given drinks which slow them down.
Seems sensible, we shouldn't be selling drugs to children, caffeine in many respects is more harmful than cannabis.
Personally think energy drinks are worthless so am happy to see them banned
Original post by darkforest
Nothing wrong with an energy drink here and there

Exposing the developing brain to drugs can adversely affect brain structure and function
Reply 9
My question is how on earth are they going to ID them? I don't know any 16yr olds who carry a form of ID?
Original post by darkforest
Eh I'm quite split on this.

I don't really like that everything seems to be so regulated, and now the consumer being told by the retailer that they can't buy a drink because it contains a bit too much sugar and caffeine. When do we know that we've gone too far? What next, are they going to ban kids from buying chocolate unless accompanied by an adult?

But on the other hand, it's a good way to stop young kids guzzling these before and during school and suffering with the rise and fall of a caffeine buzz. In my mind it should be down to the parent though to educate their kids on the dangers of excessive energy drink consumption, not the retailers.

So really it's just a parenting issue. Nothing wrong with an energy drink here and there, but you shouldn't really be letting your child drink them day by day.

I completely agree with this, I’m split as well. It seems a little silly but probably helps the NHS in the end as they don’t need to regulate teeth problems as much.
Original post by Napp
My question is how on earth are they going to ID them? I don't know any 16yr olds who carry a form of ID?

However they do it with paracetamol, presumably, which iirc is also 16+.

I'm pretty indifferent to the story but I certainly don't think it's an unreasonable position for the supermarkets to take. I'm totally against any sort of regulation whatsoever on what adults can consume, but children don't have the same level of self-responsibility. Presumably this is a response to customer demand anyway, and ultimately the supermarkets are entitled to sell according to whatever terms they see fit.
Original post by Napp

Passport? :/
Reply 13
Original post by Danny Dorito
Most major supermarkets have banned the selling for energy drinks to under 16s. This comes amid concerns around high sugar and caffeine levels in the drinks.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Should they ban energy drinks? How many energy drinks a week do you drink?

Too much nanny state imo
Reply 14
Original post by TimmonaPortella
However they do it with paracetamol, presumably, which iirc is also 16+.

Tesco's don't for some reason...
Reply 15
Original post by ANM775
Tesco's don't for some reason...

tesco understands that teenage girls also get period pains
I'm totally against any sort of regulation whatsoever on what adults can consume, but children don't have the same level of self-responsibility.

Even Heroine and A class drugs, I struggle to see how you can defend druggies walking around the streets and harassing people.
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
Even Heroine and A class drugs, I struggle to see how you can defend druggies walking around the streets and harassing people.

I'm not defending anyone, druggy or otherwise, walking around the streets and harassing people.

If, however, you want to do it in your home, and you're not bothering anyone else in doing so, it's none of anyone else's business.
I'm not defending anyone, druggy or otherwise, walking around the streets and harassing people.

If, however, you want to do it in your home, and you're not bothering anyone else in doing so, it's none of anyone else's business.

But that will be the direct consequence of legalising drugs, some people will abuse it some won't.
Some people will be "walking around the streets and harassing people", some wont.
It’s good because they’re bad for you anyways. Enough said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending