The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erinkelly22x
My project topic is investigating the Vitamin C content in fruit juices, but I’ve changed my aim quite a few times because I didn’t understand it 😂 We have to do our practical this week but everything else is to be done in our spare time, what’s yours on?

My aim is to determine the mass of glucose per can of Sports Drink. I'm doing this through reaction with Benedict’s reagent and using colorimetry.
Original post by Keen Bean #1
My aim is to determine the mass of glucose per can of Sports Drink. I'm doing this through reaction with Benedict’s reagent and using colorimetry.

That's sounds really cool! Done a completed u turn and changing mine to mass of iron in iron tablets 😂
Reply 22
hi
I am intending doing determination of iron in foods for my project I have one colorimetry method but need to find another. Since other people in my class are doing iron in iron tablets i cant do the same experiments as them (permanganate titration). Anyone have any suggestions? thanks.
Reply 23
hey how’s everyone’s projects going?
Original post by cxrwl

Alright thank you!! I've pretty much finished my first run through of my experiments (not without unexpected things happening, naturally!) and then I'll have to do my repeat after that, but yeah, hoping to be done all the practical in two weeks time if everything goes to plan! Then there's the write up to do....
Reply 25
Alright thank you!! I've pretty much finished my first run through of my experiments (not without unexpected things happening, naturally!) and then I'll have to do my repeat after that, but yeah, hoping to be done all the practical in two weeks time if everything goes to plan! Then there's the write up to do....

Ah that’s good! Hope the rest goes to plan🙂 I finished the practical before Christmas but have only just finished processing my results (10 pages of awful results😩) and done a little bit of everything for the other sections but no where near finished. Writing it up is definitely the worst part!
Original post by cxrwl

Hey mine is going okay, it’s good to see your posts though as I thought we might have been a bit behind... I’ve finished my first replicate and hoping to do the second soon. Barely started my writeup but it’s tedious already as I’m struggling to find information for my introduction :frown: Hope everyone else’s are going well!
Reply 27
Original post by cxrwl

practical almost done (finally) and have been writing up as I go
Bit late to the party as just found this thread! Anyone else finding it impossible to memroise synthesis?
Original post by Melissa777
Bit late to the party as just found this thread! Anyone else finding it impossible to memroise synthesis?

It's been pretty hard, yeah! But after I made flashcards and went through them like 10 times I feel like I know most of it- I wouldn't have bothered learning it properly yet but it was in our prelim so I had to :/ I think it's just one of those things you have to repeat loads until you know it!
It's been pretty hard, yeah! But after I made flashcards and went through them like 10 times I feel like I know most of it- I wouldn't have bothered learning it properly yet but it was in our prelim so I had to :/ I think it's just one of those things you have to repeat loads until you know it!

Flashcards do sound like a great idea - I'm struggling with it too. We shall get there!

Flashcards sound good! (Although hard to keep track of with the millions i have for biology!). Luckily we hadn't covered it before our prelim, but we got set homework and i could only do the aromatic questions without the schloar book in front of me!
Reply 32
Does anyone know for definite if the penalty for going over the limit is 1 mark for every 10% with a maximum penalty of 3 marks or 3 marks over 10%? I’ve read conflicting things and my project is currently sitting at just over 3600. If I can get it slightly below then I would be fine with potentially losing a mark but my teacher doesn’t really want me to cut it down too much since it’s such good quality, but I don’t want to risk losing 3 marks all at once🤔
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cxrwl
Does anyone know for definite if the penalty for going over the limit is 1 mark for every 10% with a maximum penalty of 3 marks or 3 marks over 10%? I’ve read conflicting things and my project is currently sitting at just over 360. If I can get it slightly below then I would be fine with potentially losing a mark but my teacher doesn’t really want me to cut it down too much since it’s such good quality, but I don’t want to risk losing 3 marks all at once🤔

Think 360 is a typo? The word limit for the AH chemistry project is 4500. If you go over that by more than 10% (i.e. word count over 4950), it's an automatic 3 mark deduction.

https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/GAInfoAHChemistry.pdf
Reply 34
does anyone know what counts in the word limit? my risk assessment is in a table and is around 700 words (going to cut it down as much is extra). they say tables are excluded but do you think this applies to my risk assessment?
My chem teacher mentioned something about the 10% penalty being cut this year and that going over the max word limit will gove the penalty
Original post by Puppo
does anyone know what counts in the word limit? my risk assessment is in a table and is around 700 words (going to cut it down as much is extra). they say tables are excluded but do you think this applies to my risk assessment?

If it's in a table it wont be included in word count
Original post by Melissa777
My chem teacher mentioned something about the 10% penalty being cut this year and that going over the max word limit will gove the penalty

According to this (most up to date version on SQA website), the 10% penalty still exists. If teachers are saying differently, this might be one to contact the SQA about though. I'll send them an email tomorrow to double check :smile:
Original post by Puppo

Yep, it won't be counted since it's in a table :smile: SQA document says: "The project–report should be between 2500 and 4500 words in length excluding
the title page, contents page, tables, graphs, diagrams, calculations, references, acknowledgements and any appendices. The word count should be submitted with the project–report. If the word count exceeds the maximum by 10%, a penalty of 3 marks will be applied. It should be written in the past tense and the impersonal voice should be used."
Original post by Labrador99
According to this (most up to date version on SQA website), the 10% penalty still exists. If teachers are saying differently, this might be one to contact the SQA about though. I'll send them an email tomorrow to double check :smile:

Good plan! Apprentely it was at some kind of markers meeting but I might have misheard and it could be for next year!

Latest

Trending

Trending