The Student Room Group

MSc African Studies

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows about the MSc in African Studies? I know I am so late (the last deadline is this Friday, 9 March but the webpage also says it may re-open in May if not all slots are filled), but anyways I am hoping to apply for this course by the 9 March deadline. I have been struggling all year to get my Uni to fix an admin error on met transcript and have been afraid to apply before the error was removed as it showed missing credits...

I am a final year student with a first class average through all UG years, but in an unrelated field (business management), which I was never passionate about.

I have an idea for my research proposal already but was wondering if being a) late and b) coming from a non-related BA would hurt my chances?

thank you all
Original post by vaka007
Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows about the MSc in African Studies? I know I am so late (the last deadline is this Friday, 9 March but the webpage also says it may re-open in May if not all slots are filled), but anyways I am hoping to apply for this course by the 9 March deadline. I have been struggling all year to get my Uni to fix an admin error on met transcript and have been afraid to apply before the error was removed as it showed missing credits...

I am a final year student with a first class average through all UG years, but in an unrelated field (business management), which I was never passionate about.

I have an idea for my research proposal already but was wondering if being a) late and b) coming from a non-related BA would hurt my chances?

thank you all

Check if your degree is eligible first. Do you need a research proposal as it sounds like a taught masters. If you meet the entry requirements apply.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Check if your degree is eligible first. Do you need a research proposal as it sounds like a taught masters. If you meet the entry requirements apply.

I don't need a proposal but a statement of purpose, in which I've written both why I want to study the course and an overview of the proposal. I'm just worried because my ug uni has such a poor reputation; it's a certified HE body but its name doesn't even appear on Oxford's list of UK unis...
Original post by vaka007
I don't need a proposal but a statement of purpose, in which I've written both why I want to study the course and an overview of the proposal. I'm just worried because my ug uni has such a poor reputation; it's a certified HE body but its name doesn't even appear on Oxford's list of UK unis...

No idea what Oxford's list of UK unis is. Email the uni you want to apply to and ask if you are eligible to apply. If you just need a statement of purpose and not a research proposal I would not include the research proposal. This is a taught masters so you will only do a research project at the end which will usually be a pre-designed one or an appropriate one designed by you and your supervisor.
Reply 4
No idea what Oxford's list of UK unis is. Email the uni you want to apply to and ask if you are eligible to apply. If you just need a statement of purpose and not a research proposal I would not include the research proposal. This is a taught masters so you will only do a research project at the end which will usually be a pre-designed one or an appropriate one designed by you and your supervisor.

Oh, I meant to post this in the Oxford PG page; I meant the list on the Oxford application itself :h: Sorry I am new to TSR.
Original post by vaka007
Oh, I meant to post this in the Oxford PG page; I meant the list on the Oxford application itself :h: Sorry I am new to TSR.

Ok in that case the thread is here :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you :smile::smile:

Ok in that case the thread is here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending