The Student Room Group

Milton Keynes headmaster accused of fat shaming

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
Also in the article a lady claims this langauage can have a devastating impact on children. But the head sent the letter to the parents, so unless the parents showed their children the letters..

I picked up on that too! Seems like the parents feel personally attacked rather than their children.
When kids are in primary school, their diet is controlled by the parents so if the child is overweight, it is genuinely their fault.
It isn't like primary school aged kids can cook their own meals or have an income to afford to go to the shops to get sweets.
Original post by CTLevers
I picked up on that too! Seems like the parents feel personally attacked rather than their children.
When kids are in primary school, their diet is controlled by the parents so if the child is overweight, it is genuinely their fault.
It isn't like primary school aged kids can cook their own meals or have an income to afford to go to the shops to get sweets.

Yeah, while at school parents are responsible for at least 2 of the 3 meals that their children have during the day. It’s also all the unhealthy snacks that they have as well. Crisps, Chocolate etc. Furthermore many parents drive their kids to school when it is easily within walking distance. I always walked to school and went in the car rarely.
Furthermore many parents drive their kids to school when it is easily within walking distance. I always walked to school and went in the car rarely.

As soon as i started Year3 I had to walk to school with my sister. 😂 Was about a 10 min walk from my house.
I think it’s time to put the drink away, as you are making zero sense.

How rude and crude!!! I am just a girly gay boy who wants to become a Theologian/Lawyer/Culinary Chemist/Fashion Designer/Drag Queen
Fat is the new black.
Reply 45
The problem is people being fat is not so much an objective view point as much as it is a medical fact. Whats the issue with pointing this out? Just as I would like someone to possibly notify me if I had a **** off big tumor growing out of my ears.
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Don't call feminists stupid.

They are. Why are you so salty
the awful thing is that the claim they use to back up stopping fat-shaming is:

'Shaming actually makes it harder for people to loose weight, instead you should encourage etc'.

Which is utterly *******s. The vast majority of the evidence points to social pressure being the single biggest motivator in stopping people gaining weight.
Well this escalated quickly
It should be classed as child abuse to let your children to get fat. Parents would be charged if they starved them to the point of death, so why arent parents charged for essentially letting them eat themselves to death???
The suggestion that he's 'fat shaming' the children is crazy. If he's 'shaming' anyone, he's clearly shaming the parents for being bad at their jobs.

Original post by mature student
"Britons are being encouraged to stick to 400 calories at breakfast, and 600 calories for both lunch and dinner"

This caught my eye, new "guidelines" for us. What rubbish. The average male should consume 2500 calories a day, the above is 1600. I'm over 6 foot so mine will be closer to 3k, I'm skinny as it is, I'd starve on these guidelines.

Well personally I've sod all interest in what Public Health England thinks about my life choices and I'd strongly prefer that such a body didn't exist, but there's a difference where we're dealing with children.
The truth hurts for some people.
With this mindset, the world will not change nor will the current Health of the UK improve in any way.

Give it 5-10 years and the same parents which criticised the teacher shall be complaining to the Government that "schools are not doing enough to help my poor children". :colonhash:
Agreed, nothing wrong on his part. Shame people have such a negative idea that fat shaming is bad, if anything it should inspire them to remove what will either kill or deprive them of life.
Although isn't it true that the road to hell is paved with good intentions?
Original post by Stuffme
They are. Why are you so salty

Because feminists are not stupid at all? Do you not want equality?
Reply 54
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Because feminists are not stupid at all? Do you not want equality?

Feminists claim to want equality, when what they really want is female superiority.
inb4 dictionary definition: definitions change over time.
What on Earth has the story got to do with feminism?
I don't see the problem in that. Maybe he could have chosen his words more wisely but as long as he doesn't call any of the children fat directly to their faces I don't see the problem. He's just telling their parents that they need more exercise.
I think maybe the letter could have been better worded - in principle though, I think highlighting the importance of the children's health is certainly a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending