The Student Room Group

SHOULD I take a gap yr?

I have offers for medicine at Cardiff and Birmingham. I had interviews at ucl and imperial, but have got post interview rejection . I really wanted to go to London. I think by taking a gap year I can improve my interview skills and be successful. Should I risk it?
Reply 1
bad idea, it doesn't matter at all where you go for medicine and you may end up with 4 rejections next year.
Original post by BULL14
I have offers for medicine at Cardiff and Birmingham. I had interviews at ucl and imperial, but have got post interview rejection . I really wanted to go to London. I think by taking a gap year I can improve my interview skills and be successful. Should I risk it?

Unless you have a really good reason for needing to go to London, that would be a bit mad. So yeah, what's the really good reason?
literally in the same position. really want to take a gap year, got an offer from kcl for medicine but my dream is imperial. but what if i get all 4 rejections next year??/
Original post by BULL14

Wouldn't bother risking it. Plus Cardiff and Birmingham are way better student cities than London imo.
Original post by sparklydiamonds1
literally in the same position. really want to take a gap year, got an offer from kcl for medicine but my dream is imperial. but what if i get all 4 rejections next year??/

I think too many people on this forum are getting very fixated on needing to achieve their ideal dream life at the age of 18, no matter what.

Whilst I sympathise, it's not a particularly realistic or workable state of mind to adopt in a competitive, centralised, impersonal field like medicine. Or in life generally, but especially not as a doctor.

Out of curiosity, what's everyone planning to do if your final year SJT score lands you in DGHland in Arsend-on-Sea instead of the big city centre teaching hospital you'd originally planned for? Are you going to simply refuse to go to work?

I have noticed that the happiest and most successful colleagues and seniors I have worked with have also been the most adaptable and flexible ones. This is medicine - you might as well get used to how the system works from now.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending