The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Oxford or Cambridge while studying at another university

I'm not talking about transferring, I'm talking about holding the correct level 3 qualifications whilst studying the first year at any university, and getting a conditional offer at Cambridge while finishing the first year module of my degree with the correct grades, and starting from year 1 in Cambridge as a new student and not a transfer student starting from year 2 in Cambridge. Is that acceptable by Cambridge, and will I be the same as any other applicant, if not higher as I'm studying higher than A levels and entering year 1.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Efron
I'm not talking about transferring, I'm talking about holding the correct level 3 qualifications whilst studying the first year at any university, and getting a conditional offer at Cambridge while finishing the first year module of my degree with the correct grades, and starting from year 1 in Cambridge as a new student and not a transfer student starting from year 2 in Cambridge. Is that acceptable by Cambridge, and will I be the same as any other applicant, if not higher as I'm studying higher than A levels and entering year 1.

If you apply to start in year 1 you will be at the same level as other year 1 students. Yes you can apply to do that.
Original post by Efron

Cambridge do not accept applications from students at other UK universities. Oxford do. However, you will have apply only weeks after starting elsewhere so will be reliant on your prior academic record.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Cambridge do not accept applications from students at other UK universities. Oxford do. However, you will have apply only weeks after starting elsewhere so will be reliant on your prior academic record.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's correct as their FAQs suggest otherwise. Also the OP is talking about starting afresh rather than transferring.

@Doonesbury can you help?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by alleycat393
I don't think that's correct as their FAQs suggest otherwise. Also the OP is talking about starting afresh rather than transferring.

They talk about only in 'exceptional circumstances'. I've seen various Cambridge ATs address this issue on the Cambridge forum and they really do mean exceptional. The OP does not have such reasons.
They talk about only in 'exceptional circumstances'. I've seen various Cambridge ATs address this issue on the Cambridge forum and they really do mean exceptional. The OP does not have such reasons.

If they are really keen they can always try. We don't have enough info on here to know what their circumstances are but we do have to give them accurate advice :smile:
Reply 6

@Doonesbury can you help?

"Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances."

So basically no :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
"Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances."

So basically no :smile:

Hmm, while I agree that the odds are against the OP the advice from Cambridge doesn't say no. It says unlikely :smile:
Reply 8
Hmm, while I agree that the odds are against the OP the advice from Cambridge doesn't say no. It says unlikely :smile:

Yep fair. Although the current Chair of the Undergraduate Admissions Forum's view is it is "discouraged".

I think the best bet for the OP and anyone else in a similar position is to contact a few Cambridge colleges and double-check their (exceptional) circumstances directly with them.
Reply 9
They usually don't take applicants from other universities, it's very well possible but I wouldn't put my money on it.

I think you're best bet is to transfer to a university of london college, and forget about Oxford and Cambridge because they are the symbol of the British education system but in my humble opinion, in terms of employment a university of london college is more in your favour. King's college, LSE, City University of london, etc.
Reply 10
Original post by Efron
They usually don't take applicants from other universities, it's very well possible but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Are you talking to yourself now? :dontknow:
Original post by Efron

I think you're best bet is to transfer to a university of london college, and forget about Oxford and Cambridge because they are the symbol of the British education system but in my humble opinion, in terms of employment a university of london college is more in your favour. King's college, LSE, City University of london, etc.

@alleycat393

Thanks hun but this is the applicant’s advice to themselves? I’d take with a massive pinch of salt :wink:

We still have to follow the rules and give accurate advice though :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks hun but this is the applicant’s advice to themselves? I’d take with a massive pinch of salt :wink:

I just wanted to make sure you saw it.
Reply 14
Are you talking to yourself now? :dontknow:

Oh I have two phones and both of them is logged on to the same account on the TSR app, I gave my other phone to my cousin and we use the same account, so when I ask a question he sometimes answers but it shows me answering my own question.
This is exceptional,, quite exceptional...
I just wanted to make sure you saw it.

Err thanks :smile: We do get all sorts on TSR so nothing special here!
Reply 17
Original post by Efron
Oh I have two phones and both of them is logged on to the same account on the TSR app, I gave my other phone to my cousin and we use the same account, so when I ask a question he sometimes answers but it shows me answering my own question.

Of course, it was the ol' wrong phone bait and switch. :beard:
Reply 18
Err thanks :smile: We do get all sorts on TSR so nothing special here!

Some are more, er, unique than others.
Reply 19
Of course, it was the ol' wrong phone bait and switch. :beard:

Do you really think I'll ask a question and then answer it like I'm talking to myself, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending