The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin J282 - 2018 [Exam Discussion]

I couldn't find any thread for the gcse latin. what texts are everyone doing? anyone got any advice for 8 markers and 10 markers specific on the aeneid book 4 and 6

<333

all exam techniques, revision aids, sample answers on this thread !

:smile:)))

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you! Someone else doing ocr latin GCSE! I'm doing Aeneid book 4 and 6 whilst I'm doing the Druides for the other set text.
Reply 2
Original post by MystG123
Thank you! Someone else doing ocr latin GCSE! I'm doing Aeneid book 4 and 6 whilst I'm doing the Druides for the other set text.

saaameee
don't you just love dido! at the druids are so cool
Yeah, I just think that since we're the first year taking the new exam format they haven't really got any examples for us to use for anything. No one's done any practice questions set by the board so I can't find any of them. Got the same problem as you........
Reply 4
any predictions on the 10 markers for druids / Aeneid??
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kylepxt
How are you guys revising language? I find it so hard, can anyone give advice?
And any predictions on the 10 markers for druids / Aeneid??

For language, my teacher is using extracts from the John Taylor latin book new version. It is so useful for grammar and translations. Meanwhile, concerning practice paper questions, strangely my teacher got our class to make up our own papers, which we have given each other to do so. Hope that helps.
Hi :wavey: Nice exam thread! I've added it to our big list of exam threads here where you can find helpful threads for all the exams you're doing :h: If you feel like making any more exam threads, let me know the link and I can add it in as well! Happy revising :bl:
Hey I am also doing GCSE OCR LatinMy set texts are Druids and Aeneid 4
Does anyone have any analysis for Aeneid Book 6 and also the Druides/Boudicca text.

I heard that you dont need much analysis for the prose for the exams, I dont have any language analysis anyways, only some meaning analysis.

Does anyone know what the grade boundaries would look like for 9-1?
Reply 9
Original post by Jman10101
Does anyone have any analysis for Aeneid Book 6 and also the Druides/Boudicca text.

I heard that you dont need much analysis for the prose for the exams, I dont have any language analysis anyways, only some meaning analysis.

No idea concerning grade boundaries. For analysis, look up the zigzag booklet. We have them at our school and are so useful for notes
Original post by MystG123
No idea concerning grade boundaries. For analysis, look up the zigzag booklet. We have them at our school and are so useful for notes

The zigzag booklet is £49 and my school doesn't have it, do you know where i could access it?
Hello everyone :tongue: I'm doing druids and Aeneid 4 and 6!!
Original post by Jman10101

At my school it was 88% for a 9, not sure the rest of the boundaries, but last year the boundaries were around 90% for an A* :s-smilie: so I'd say 9 is probably 95%. Ugh
My school used 95% for grade 9 as well.
Is this language + analysis. So far we have only done a mock for the language and I have been predicted a 9 overall, which. Worries me because we have had no practice for the analysis
The book Latin Stories: A GCSE Reader by John Taylor and others is a very useful book for practice language papers. One passage from Section 3 + one passage from Section 4 is the approximate length and difficulty of the upcoming 9-1 language paper.

Regarding grade boundaries, it's a good question. An A grade last year was around the 70% mark when averaged out across the four papers (2 language + prose + verse). Since Grade 7 is roughly equivalent to the old A grade, I wouldn't be too surprised if 70+ is a Grade 7, 80+ a Grade 8 and 90+ a Grade 9.
Reply 16
Original post by Classics_Teacher
The book Latin Stories: A GCSE Reader by John Taylor and others is a very useful book for practice language papers. One passage from Section 3 + one passage from Section 4 is the approximate length and difficulty of the upcoming 9-1 language paper.

Regarding grade boundaries, it's a good question. An A grade last year was around the 70% mark when averaged out across the four papers (2 language + prose + verse). Since Grade 7 is roughly equivalent to the old A grade, I wouldn't be too surprised if 70+ is a Grade 7, 80+ a Grade 8 and 90+ a Grade 9.

ahh thank you!
what are your thoughts in regards to revising for the literature papers... we dont really have any notes re stylistic points. And I'm not too sure if I am good at the 10 markers
Reply 17
does anyone have any literature model answers? (for the 8markers and 10markers)
I am doing the Aeneid 4 and 6 and Pliny...
I am so dead for Latin....got a 6 in the mocks and dont really know where I went wrong.....
Original post by hannah429
ahh thank you!
what are your thoughts in regards to revising for the literature papers... we dont really have any notes re stylistic points. And I'm not too sure if I am good at the 10 markers

For the literature papers, it really is unfortunately a case of learning the set texts really well, both in terms of knowing how to translate them and you'll need stylistic notes too because the questions ask about style as well as content.

In terms of stylistic notes, the Zigzag resources for Classics are excellent, but are expensive, because they are designed to be purchased by a school and then photocopied for all the students. If these are too expensive, then if you Google 'Classical Workbooks', the top link will take you to some more affordable resources by David Carter which are good too.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending