The Student Room Group

History gcse sources help

My history teacher is crap. I have to always reteach myself what I learnt in history in order to receive my excellent grades however I don't know how to properly infer sources. So if anyone can help, please do.
We are told to use PANDA. Have a look at this:
https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/14984/panda-source-analysis
Hope that helps :smile:
What sort of sources are you analysing?
Inferring is easily done but just as easily misunderstood. Now I suggest answering the question backwards. First finding parts of the source and then inferring what it means. BUT the part in the source has to be seen. You cannot Infer in this section so visible things are only accepted. If it is a text I suggest only quoting it.

~into the effectiveness of the civil rights act

Eg. “In the south, my people deserve segregation to their negro slaves”- 1969

This shows that racism continued as it is dated in 1969 and the civil rights act was introduced in 1954

From this I can infer that the civil rights act was not effective in dealing with the racism in the south
Original post by Answer this
Inferring is easily done but just as easily misunderstood. Now I suggest answering the question backwards. First finding parts of the source and then inferring what it means. BUT the part in the source has to be seen. You cannot Infer in this section so visible things are only accepted. If it is a text I suggest only quoting it.

~into the effectiveness of the civil rights act

Eg. “In the south, my people deserve segregation to their negro slaves”- 1969

This shows that racism continued as it is dated in 1969 and the civil rights act was introduced in 1954

From this I can infer that the civil rights act was not effective in dealing with the racism in the south

The problem with this is irrelevant inference. E.g. in the context of the Civil Rights Act, it could be argued that the legislative intent (against which effectiveness ought to measured) was the end of legal racism in the South. Thus, the fact that the Civil Rights Act failed to shift public discourse could be considered irrelevant insofar as this was aim that the Act never set out to achieve.

Instead, inference is an intuitive skill: that is to say you can only infer information that is reasonably true or important. Arguably, the most important component of forming an inference is gaining a contextual understanding of the information your trying to infer from.
Original post by ChickenFillet2.0
The problem with this is irrelevant inference. E.g. in the context of the Civil Rights Act, it could be argued that the legislative intent (against which effectiveness ought to measured) was the end of legal racism in the South. Thus, the fact that the Civil Rights Act failed to shift public discourse could be considered irrelevant insofar as this was aim that the Act never set out to achieve.

Instead, inference is an intuitive skill: that is to say you can only infer information that is reasonably true or important. Arguably, the most important component of forming an inference is gaining a contextual understanding of the information your trying to infer from.

I believe I haven’t explained myself correctly while reading my work. You are quite right, but not completely. What you said is quite vague.

In an inference it MUST be linked to the question yes. But the message I was trying to put across is the difference between the “inference” and “point in the text that shows this” and the method we’re taught to answer it.

This is in PLANNING
Do what you see first, this ensures you link correctly to a point outside of the text. Because you aren’t trying to find a point in the source which shows your idea while can easily become far fetched and lose you marks.
Because the source will be hard to understand in the exam finding the point in the source in while
Original post by ChickenFillet2.0

You’re quite right yes, in reflection my work is not the best.

In PLANNING find a point in the text and link it outside of the source that LINKS WITH THE QUESTION. This ensures you do not use a far fetched point in the source to prove your inference

Quick Reply

Latest