The Student Room Group

Criminology // Criminal Justice

Hiya,
I really have a keen interest into criminology and criminal justice. Therefore im looking to do a degree in it, however i have no idea what career i can go into! Does anyone have any knowledge into what i can go into/ know anyone who has completed a degree and are employed?
Cheers,
Mack :smile:
Original post by Mack_brace
Hiya,
I really have a keen interest into criminology and criminal justice. Therefore im looking to do a degree in it, however i have no idea what career i can go into! Does anyone have any knowledge into what i can go into/ know anyone who has completed a degree and are employed?
Cheers,

First off google it. Second, check where grads from unis you are interested in end up.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
First off google it. Second, check where grads from unis you are interested in end up.

hiya, yeah i have tried everything! tried to look into people who have left the universities but just ended up getting lost most of the time!
Thanks though!
Reply 3
Hiya,
Cheers,

I’m currently just completing my undergraduate honours in criminology, these are the most common jobs that people get employed for or ones that I’m looking into/have up coming interviews for:

The Police (all areas)
Ministry of Justice
Research
Forensics (most people have to do an MA)
CPS
County/City Council
Probation Service
Consultancy
Security Services
Border Control
Analysts
Social Work/Welfare (again, most have to do an MA)
ONS/NCA
Cyber Crime (again, MA)
Legal Services (optional to do a combined degree in law or just go down an alternative non-legal route)
Banking
Youth Justice
Customer Service

and sometimes people end up going into employment that aids rehabilitation/mental health, like counselling, drug therapy, health care assistants, etc.
Original post by Lily048
I’m currently just completing my undergraduate honours in criminology, these are the most common jobs that people get employed for or ones that I’m looking into/have up coming interviews for:

The Police (all areas)
Ministry of Justice
Research
CPS
County/City Council
Probation Service
Consultancy
Security Services
Border Control
Analysts
ONS/NCA
Cyber Crime (again, MA)
Legal Services (optional to do a combined degree in law or just go down an alternative non-legal route)
Banking
Youth Justice
Customer Service

and sometimes people end up going into employment that aids rehabilitation/mental health, like counselling, drug therapy, health care assistants, etc.

What areas of forensics?
Reply 5
Original post by Criminalis
What areas of forensics?

Probably within the police because you have to do a completely separate course in scientific forensics to actually be able to do the lab/investigatory work. You can still do it via this route but you’ll work behind the scenes rather than within the actual forensics side of things
Original post by Lily048
Probably within the police because you have to do a completely separate course in scientific forensics to actually be able to do the lab/investigatory work. You can still do it via this route but you’ll work behind the scenes rather than within the actual forensics side of things

Ahhh. I'm interested by crime, right now I'm considering forensic psychology (requires a psychology degree) but I'm trying to find the best job prospects for criminology.
hiya, yeah i have tried everything! tried to look into people who have left the universities but just ended up getting lost most of the time!
Thanks though!

Directly related: Working within the prison service/police/probation/drug and alcohol worker/young offenders
Closely related: law/social work
Reply 8
Original post by Lily048

The Police (all areas)
Ministry of Justice
Research
CPS
County/City Council
Probation Service
Consultancy
Security Services
Border Control
Analysts
ONS/NCA
Cyber Crime (again, MA)
Banking
Youth Justice
Customer Service

Thank you so much!
Reply 9
Ahhh. I'm interested by crime, right now I'm considering forensic psychology (requires a psychology degree) but I'm trying to find the best job prospects for criminology.

To do actual forensic work (quite limited in terms of jobs) you have to do a forensics only degree - forensic psychology tends to lead to witness work, investigatory work and counselling - they prefer those who have a particularly scientific background (I.e a levels in biology, chemistry and maths) and have chosen human forensics as their main course of study
Original post by Lily048
To do actual forensic work (quite limited in terms of jobs) you have to do a forensics only degree - forensic psychology tends to lead to witness work, investigatory work and counselling - they prefer those who have a particularly scientific background (I.e a levels in biology, chemistry and maths) and have chosen human forensics as their main course of study

I'm doing biology, psychology and sociology at A-Level..
I'm doing biology, psychology and sociology at A-Level..

Good, you’d be okay doing forensics then - forensic psychology is a lot more specific though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending