The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine and the EPQ

I am currently in Y12 and hoping to do medicine at university and have been given the offer to do an EPQ. Ive chosen to do it on the physical and economic implications of recreational drugs.
I have heard that a good EPQ grade can reduce your university offer down a grade and was wondering whether that is the same case for medicine?
Original post by Malaaika
I am currently in Y12 and hoping to do medicine at university and have been given the offer to do an EPQ. Ive chosen to do it on the physical and economic implications of recreational drugs.
I have heard that a good EPQ grade can reduce your university offer down a grade and was wondering whether that is the same case for medicine?

I don't think I've ever heard that. Unis may take it into account when making an offer but won't reduce your offer because of an EPQ as they won't have read it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Malaaika

It'll be good if you do it, as you may have a bit more to talk about at interview (I had an MMI station about recreational drugs), but it won't be taken into account as part of your offer.
Reply 3
I did an EPQ and it is not in any of my offers nor did it lower my offers for Medicine.
EPQ does reduce grade offers from some courses at some universities, just not all of them (especially more competitive ones like medicine). Most unis don’t even take the EPQ in consideration at all as not everyone has the chance to do it, but it’s not a ‘wild rumour’ that it lowers grade offers (like from AAA-AAB and an A in EPQ). Either way it gives you something else to talk about in your PS.
Original post by Anonymous8910
EPQ does reduce grade offers from some courses at some universities, just not all of them (especially more competitive ones like medicine). Most unis don’t even take the EPQ in consideration at all as not everyone has the chance to do it, but it’s not a ‘wild rumour’ that it lowers grade offers (like from AAA-AAB and an A in EPQ). Either way it gives you something else to talk about in your PS.

Again never heard of it. Source please?
Original post by alleycat393
Again never heard of it. Source please?

Original post by University of Bath
Hi,

This is something we offer at Bath for the vast majority of our courses, including Psychology.

For students who take the EPQ we can make an alternate offer of one A level grade below our typical offer plus an A in the EPQ. So for Psychology our alternate offer would be AAA at A level plus an A in the EPQ (our typical offer for psycholgy is A*AA). You can find further details on the Psychology pages of our e-prospectus.

You may be interested in our 'How to succeed in your EPQ' online course. It is free, takes around 3 hours per week for 3 weeks, and will really help you to ge the most from your EPQ and use it to strengthen your uni applications. The next course starts on Monday 19 June.

Good luck!

Psychology at Bath could have the offer reduced from A*AA to AAA and an A in EPQ.
Actually sheffield lowers med offer to AAB if you get an a/a* in epq
Original post by Etomi
Actually sheffield lowers med offer to AAB if you get an a/a* in epq

Really? What is your source?
Original post by alleycat393
Really? What is your source?

there website - i might have misinterpreted it though
Original post by Etomi
there website - i might have misinterpreted it though

It’s quite unusual. I had a brief look and I think you’re right but you may have to meet certain widening participation criteria.

Latest

Trending

Trending