The Student Room Group

Psychology?

Is Psychology a good subject to choose for A-level?
Reply 1
If you enjoy psychology, find it interesting and want to pursue a career in that field, yes.
Original post by A.Montgomery
Is Psychology a good subject to choose for A-level?

Depends what degree you are interested in doing, have you decided on that yet? It also depends on what other subjects you are doing as well, to consider if it's worthwhile.

In general, I'd say it's a decent A Level to have as long as you have facilitating subjects alongside it.
Original post by Nathan Scott
Depends what degree you are interested in doing, have you decided on that yet? It also depends on what other subjects you are doing as well, to consider if it's worthwhile.

In general, I'd say it's a decent A Level to have as long as you have facilitating subjects alongside it.

So I was thinking of picking Biology & Chemistry beside it as I wouldn't mind doing a degree in medicine although, It's not definite.
So I was thinking of picking Biology & Chemistry beside it as I wouldn't mind doing a degree in medicine although, It's not definite.

Okay, so if you’re planning on going oxbridge for medicine it’s a definite no. But for most unis it will be fine, though I’d suggest looking at uni specific requirements and/or checking if they have any preferences for the 3rd subject. Doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology won’t really limit your options for the majority of degrees including medicine. So yeah it’s a decent choice and a lot easier than taking something like maths instead
Okay, so if you’re planning on going oxbridge for medicine it’s a definite no. But for most unis it will be fine, though I’d suggest looking at uni specific requirements and/or checking if they have any preferences for the 3rd subject. Doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology won’t really limit your options for the majority of degrees including medicine. So yeah it’s a decent choice and a lot easier than taking something like maths instead

So if I took maths it would be even better? If I take an EPQ along with my options will that not increase my chances with Unis?
So if I took maths it would be even better? If I take an EPQ along with my options will that not increase my chances with Unis?

Depending on the uni, yes, but it suppose it depends on what grades your currently getting because an A* in Psychology will be more viable than a C in Maths.
Depending on the uni, yes, but it suppose it depends on what grades your currently getting because an A* in Psychology will be more viable than a C in Maths.

I'm currently getting A's in Maths and I don't take Psychology in GCSE I think I'll choose Psychology because I enjoy it more. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest