The Student Room Group

A Level choices

I am thinking of taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and ICT, all with the Edexcel board. I am not sure what degrees are available with what i have chosen and whether this is a good combination.

Anyone who has done any of these for A-level let me know how the workload is like and what you think about my combination.
Reply 1
Do not take physics a level unless you want to pursue a career in that field !!!!!!! Everyone who took it at alevel regarded it majorly as it is extremely difficult
Reply 2
Original post by Mf1999
Do not take physics a level unless you want to pursue a career in that field !!!!!!! Everyone who took it at alevel regarded it majorly as it is extremely difficult

Thanks for the suggestion I will consider it when my IGCSEs are done
Original post by Mf1999

no
Original post by HeyDana
I am thinking of taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and ICT, all with the Edexcel board. I am not sure what degrees are available with what i have chosen and whether this is a good combination.

Anyone who has done any of these for A-level let me know how the workload is like and what you think about my combination.

Hi! I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry for A Levels, 3 common subjects so I can help a bit.

Literally every STEM degree is open with those options, perhaps with the exception of degrees in Maths/CS/Eng at the TOP unis (i.e like Imperial, Cambs etc), because of lack of FM, however literally any other degree at those unis is probably open with your A Levels, it's a good place.

As for the actual combo itself, well I know a lot of people who do maths and triple science, and from what I can see it looks like they're having fun, but they do manage their time very very effectively, so be very ready for that at A Level because this is one of the tougher combos you can take.

Maths? If you breezed through GCSE, you'll breeze through AS. There are some bits and bobs expanded upon in AS from GCSE. I.e trig (not equations, but things like the sine rule, cos rule, area rule, etc), Quadratics, Indices, Vectors, if you do iGCSE, you may have covered some basic differentiation, etc, you'll do that to a deeper level too, whilst also covering new things like logs, binomial expansion, integration, etc. If you're generally enjoying problem solving and like Maths, AS Maths won't be an issue.

Physics? If you liked Physics enough at GCSE and you're good at doing mathematical questions and problem solving AS will be a breeze. Most of the Physics AS curriculum centers on the mathsy side, a good 75% of the AS is just mathsy problem solving, the maths itself is easy, however the thing that makes Physics tricky is finding out where to apply it to. You may find the Mechanics in Physics will help you for the Maths mechanics that you cover.

Chemistry? Many many people over-exaggerate Chemistry's difficulty, while that may be the case, it is still by no means easy at all. Everything you've learnt at GCSE will kind of be discarded, pretty much every concept in the AS will be new, but if you have a passion for Chemistry and are good at it, it should come naturally.

if you have any more questions shoot
Reply 5
That's very helpful, thank you.
I am just wondering if taking 5 A levels is too much.

P.S ICT is a choice only because I am good at it in at GCSE level and that it may help for an IT degree.

Quick Reply

Latest