The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Computer Science Grade Boundaries

Hello.
I am doing OCR Computer Science and paper 1 is on Monday. What topics do you think are most likely to come up for Monday's exam, and does anyone have any estimates for the boundaries?

Good luck everyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loci Pi
Hello.
I am doing OCR Computer Science and paper 1 is on Monday. What topics do you think are most likely to come up for Monday's exam, and does anyone have any estimates for the boundaries?

I think people are already discussing this here...
Reply 2
Off the top of my head, CPU, components of a computer system, networks, von neumann, software and ethical/legal/cultural/environmental issues.
Original post by Loci Pi
Hello.

If u look at the old spec, an A* was 56/80, and that was considering their course was 60% coursework and our theory is much harder, so I'm predicting the grade boundaries to be low, with a 9 between 60 and 65. But then again, after the contolled assessment got cancelled, majority of schools would've probably focused on theory ever since January, so I may be wrong
Reply 4
Original post by mfaliuk14
If u look at the old spec, an A* was 56/80, and that was considering their course was 60% coursework and our theory is much harder, so I'm predicting the grade boundaries to be low, with a 9 between 60 and 65. But then again, after the contolled assessment got cancelled, majority of schools would've probably focused on theory ever since January, so I may be wrong

Unlikely, Ofqual forced all exam boards to ensure 20 hours was spent whatever the circumstances - if schools hadn't started, they had to start and dedicate 20 hours or face accusations of malpractice.
Original post by ns_2
Unlikely, Ofqual forced all exam boards to ensure 20 hours was spent whatever the circumstances - if schools hadn't started, they had to start and dedicate 20 hours or face accusations of malpractice.

I mean after the controlled assessment was finished. Besides, normally in computing, grade boundaries are pulled up by the controlled assessment, so if there is none for this course, we should expect the grade boundaries to get really low, and I think the exam board knows this, which is why they will make the test paper slightly easier so the grade boundaries aren't as low as 15 for a 4
Reply 6
Original post by mfaliuk14
I mean after the controlled assessment was finished. Besides, normally in computing, grade boundaries are pulled up by the controlled assessment, so if there is none for this course, we should expect the grade boundaries to get really low, and I think the exam board knows this, which is why they will make the test paper slightly easier so the grade boundaries aren't as low as 15 for a 4

I will not deny that the CA would have raised marks, and that the grade boundaries will be low. Computer Science is a difficult subject for many, especially those with substandard teachers - the paper will not, however, be "easier" - the papers were validated prior to the cancellation of the CA and none, that I know, have been changed - its UMS weighting is likely to be very low though.
Reply 7
I think it will be like 85% for a 9 or lower, which is like 68/80 on each paper. I hope it's not higher than this, I don't think it will be higher than than that.
Original post by ns_2
I will not deny that the CA would have raised marks, and that the grade boundaries will be low. Computer Science is a difficult subject for many, especially those with substandard teachers - the paper will not, however, be "easier" - the papers were validated prior to the cancellation of the CA and none, that I know, have been changed - its UMS weighting is likely to be very low though.

you're right, that's even better. well, its better for those who understand the content and have revised.
Reply 9
How is everyone revising? I've been doing past papers from the old spec and watching Computer Science Tutor videos on Youtube.
Reply 10
Original post by Loci Pi
Hello.

first of all goodluck to you too, and secondly the paper 1 is based on computer systems so thats components of a computer system, networks and issues (ethical and/or environmental).so what i would do is cram as much infomation on those topics as you can! hope that helps!
oh and..paper 2 is computational thnking, algorithms and programming
Reply 11
Original post by scmoney
first of all goodluck to you too, and secondly the paper 1 is based on computer systems so thats components of a computer system, networks and issues (ethical and/or environmental).so what i would do is cram as much infomation on those topics as you can! hope that helps!
oh and..paper 2 is computational thnking, algorithms and programming

Original post by peeked
I think it will be like 85% for a 9 or lower, which is like 68/80 on each paper. I hope it's not higher than this, I don't think it will be higher than than that.

the thing is if u look at the grade boundaries for the old spec and the new 9-1 subjects (maths and english), a 9 isn't about 75%, so I think a 9 will be about that or even lower, but don't get ur hopes up too much because after all we don;t know, it coul be 99% for all we know
any suggestions on boundaries for level 4?
a
Original post by dean565656
any suggestions on boundaries for level 4?

According to CGP, it's about 72-82/160 for a 4.
Any suggestions on what a 5 and 6 could be please out of /160
Original post by BT144
a

According to CGP, it's about 72-82/160 for a 4.

Really? That's awfully high for a subject that most consider hard. It's likely they'll reduce the grade, because of the NEA incident. I'd expect 85% max for a level 9.
Original post by noname900
Really? That's awfully high for a subject that most consider hard. It's likely they'll reduce the grade, because of the NEA incident. I'd expect 85% max for a level 9.

Are they still going with a 9 being the top 5% of people?
Reply 18
On results day, I'm gonna have to move to an island with no internet connection so I don't disappoint my parents. :colondollar:
Original post by aidan.aes
Are they still going with a 9 being the top 5% of people?

something like that. I think it will be around 85%, but IDK everyone acts like they're really good at computer science. I go to a Grammar school and my ideals for what's good is skewed and it seems really easy to get good grades with the preparation they give to us. I'm just really scared of Chemistry, English lit and Chinese :O. First year of real formal exams and it kills you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending