The Student Room Group

English Lit Poetry (HELP)

could someone give this a rough grade? It would really help! :biggrin:

Compare My Last Duchess and one other poem. How do they present power?

Both “My Last Duchess” and “Ozymandias” involve the use of art to show off wealth and power. In “My Last Duchess,” the poet uses “Fra Pandolf by design.” This may reflect the egotistical nature of the Duke, status and wealth are highly important to him. The poet may have included this to show how materialistic the Duke is, he doesn’t care about love but rather status and possession. Later in the poem, the Duke uses “Neptune taming a sea horse.” This may be a metaphor to reflect how the Duke sees his position in the world, its his duty to tame and control others Just as he was controlling of the Duchess. Historically, feudalism brought about a firm system of hierarchy. Wealth and power was extremely important and influencing amongst the nobility and aristocracy. Similarly, in “Ozymandias” that statue had been commissioned by the pharaoh himself. This may reflect how Ozymandias wanted to show off his wealth and power through art and possession; He was also egotistical. The poet uses “My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings.” This suggests that the main purpose of the statue was to show off and assert superiority to those who are viewing the statue. The poet did this to show how Ozymandias was desperate to be viewed as a higher power he wanted to be renown forever. Historically, the ancient Egyptians followed a God King doctrine. This means Pharaohs were divine and infallible.

One difference between the two poems is how they use structure to express the personality of the subject of the poem. “My Last Duchess” is written as one long stanza. This may reflect the Duke’s high esteem and selfish behaviour and expresses his desire to be the centre of attention. It may also suggest that the Duke’s rule is stubborn, it’s his way or no way. “My Last Duchess” is also a dramatic monologue which suggests that it is only the Duke’s voice that matters; this shows his absolute rule. The poet also skilfully uses enjambment to make the poem sound like a speech, this shows the Dukes reluctance to be interrupted. There is a silent listener mentioned in the poem, showing the Duke’s inability to listen or give the spotlight to anyone else. In Juxtapose, “Ozymandias” is written as a sonnet which is typically a love poem. This structure may reflect the love Ozymandias had for himself, and the love he desired. It may suggest that he commissioned monuments to leave a legacy, he wanted to be admired and looked up to. Shelley may have done this to reinforce the idea of Ozymandias having an inflated ego and feeling superior to everyone else. “Ozymandias” also has a changing rhyme scheme, the ABAB rhyme scheme appears through out the poem. The fact that it is not consistent may reflect how power is rarely consistent as it changes hands. Shelley did this to show how power didn’t last forever for Ozymandias, it changed hands and now he is forgotten.

Another difference between the two poems is the main characters current position in the poem. In “My Last Duchess” the Duke is at the height of his power and he expresses this in many ways. The poet uses “I gave commands; then all smiles stopped together.” This suggests that the Duke had the Duchess executed which highlights that he is so powerful he can have someone killed. The short sentence “I gave commands” suggests the Duke gave the orders without hesitation. This reinforces the idea of him being an extremely selfish and unsympathetic person. In Juxtapose in “Ozymandias” the Pharaoh is presented as forgotten and powerless. In the poem there are three different speakers and the poem starts with “I met a traveller from an antique land.” This suggests a sense of distance from Ozymandias, showing his lack of importance. The adjective “antique” suggests that the land is outdated and not powerful anymore. The poet also describes the sculptor in a positive manner with “Tell that its sculptor well those passions read which yet survive.” This highlights that Ozymandias isn’t significant anymore. The sculptors work is being admired but not Ozymandias himself this is ironic given the pharaohs desperation to instate a legacy. The poet also uses “the lone and level sands stretch far away.” Again, this gives a sense of distance of Ozymandias to the modern world. The verb “stretch” reinforces the idea of distance, the statue is in the middle of no where and completely lacks importance.
Giving it a grade won't help. Looking at the mark scheme will. I can't grade this without seeing exactly what criteria you ought to be addressing.:wink:
Reply 2
aqa mark scheme.PNG
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Reply 3
This is the mark scheme :P
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Giving it a grade won't help. Looking at the mark scheme will. I can't grade this without seeing exactly what criteria you ought to be addressing.:wink:

Hellooo??
I would give it a pretty high mark, a 7 or maybe 8. Just a discretion, I am not a professional or teacher or anything like that. Just a GCSE student that thinks it's pretty good. You definitely answered the question, you used high level lexis, you used a range of quotes and added contextual knowledge.
Original post by cybran
could someone give this a rough grade? It would really help! :biggrin:

Compare My Last Duchess and one other poem. How do they present power?

Both “My Last Duchess” and “Ozymandias” involve the use of art1 to show off wealth and power. In “My Last Duchess,” the poet uses “Fra Pandolf by design.” This may reflect the egotistical nature of the Duke,2 status and wealth are highly important to him.3 The poet may have included this to show how materialistic the Duke is, he doesn’t care about love but rather status and possession. Later in the poem, the Duke uses “Neptune taming a sea horse.” This may be a metaphor to reflect how the Duke sees his position in the world,4 its his duty to tame and control others Just as he was controlling of the Duchess. Historically, feudalism brought about a firm system of hierarchy.5 Wealth and power was extremely important and influencing amongst the nobility and aristocracy. Similarly, in “Ozymandias” that statue6 had been commissioned by the pharaoh himself. This may reflect how Ozymandias wanted to show off his wealth and power through art and possession; He was also egotistical. The poet uses “My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings.” This suggests that the main purpose of the statue was to show off and assert superiority to those who are viewing the statue. The poet did this to show how Ozymandias was desperate to be viewed as a higher power he wanted to be renown forever.7 Historically, the ancient Egyptians followed a God King doctrine. This means Pharaohs were divine and infallible.8

One difference between the two poems is how they use structure to express the personality of the subject of the poem.9 “My Last Duchess” is written as one long stanza. This may reflect the Duke’s high esteem and selfish behaviour and expresses his desire to be the centre of attention. It may also suggest that the Duke’s rule is stubborn, it’s his way or no way.10 “My Last Duchess” is also a dramatic monologue which suggests that it is only the Duke’s voice that matters; this shows his absolute rule.11 The poet also skilfully uses enjambment to make the poem sound like a speech, this shows the Dukes reluctance to be interrupted. There is a silent listener mentioned in the poem, showing the Duke’s inability to listen or give the spotlight to anyone else.12 In Juxtapose13, “Ozymandias” is written as a sonnet which is typically a love poem. This structure may reflect the love Ozymandias had for himself, and the love he desired. It may suggest that he commissioned monuments to leave a legacy, he wanted to be admired and looked up to. Shelley may have done this to reinforce the idea of Ozymandias having an inflated ego and feeling superior to everyone else. “Ozymandias” also has a changing rhyme scheme, the ABAB rhyme scheme appears through out the poem. The fact that it is not consistent may reflect how power is rarely consistent as it changes hands. Shelley did this to show how power didn’t last forever for Ozymandias, it changed hands and now he is forgotten.

Another difference between the two poems is the main characters current position in the poem. In “My Last Duchess” the Duke is at the height of his power and he expresses this in many ways. The poet uses “I gave commands; then all smiles stopped together.” This suggests that the Duke had the Duchess executed which highlights that he is so powerful he can have someone killed.14 The short sentence “I gave commands” suggests the Duke gave the orders without hesitation. This reinforces the idea of him being an extremely selfish and unsympathetic person. In Juxtapose in “Ozymandias” the Pharaoh is presented as forgotten and powerless.15 In the poem there are three different speakers and the poem starts with “I met a traveller from an antique land.” This suggests a sense of distance from Ozymandias, showing his lack of importance. The adjective “antique” suggests that the land is outdated and not powerful anymore. The poet also describes the sculptor in a positive manner with “Tell that its sculptor well those passions read which yet survive.” This highlights that Ozymandias isn’t significant anymore.16 The sculptors work is being admired but not Ozymandias himself this is ironic given the pharaohs desperation to instate a legacy. The poet also uses “the lone and level sands stretch far away.” Again, this gives a sense of distance of Ozymandias to the modern world. The verb “stretch” reinforces the idea of distance, the statue is in the middle of no where and completely lacks importance.
1. bit vague.

2. Too big of a leap. In what context does the poet use this phrase? And why might they have done that? Then you talk about what it might "show"

3. He's not real.

4. Confused as to what this has to do with art (the point of the paragraph). Also, use the word power as a theme here.:wink:

5. You've just stuffed a sentence of context in here with little connection.

6. "that statue" is a very vague reference.

7. He's not real.

8. More context added on without reason. That paragraph was not connected to art enough as a theme to connect the two texts together.

9. Talk about power more: it's in the question.

10. Please talk about writer's intention here.

11. Use the word perspective here.:wink:

That phrase in bold is what I like.:heart:

12. The poet makes that decision, not the Duke. The Duke isn't real.:wink: Also, link more closely to power please.

13. Wrong word.:tongue:

Another nice phrase in bold there.

14. Why? Why has Browning done this?

15. As above? Why? Why has the writer made this decision?

16. Link to power here.:yep:
Reply 7
It's low band 4.

There is some explained comparison which is sometimes clear. References are used but these are often not detailed enough, or are provided out of context. The candidate often fails to appreciate the writers methods when discussing the text, and jumps straight into exploring meaning and effect on the reader.

Ideas and perspectives are used well. The discussion on context needs to be more explicitly linked to the textual references in order to provide a clearer, and more seemless line of argument through the answer.

The answer is not thoroughly on task and opportunities to link the discussion to the theme in the question were regularly missed.
Original post by cybran
Hellooo??
Please also bare in mind I'm a harsh marker, what I say is not meant to be attacking or aggressive, just constructive and honest.

English marking is always subjective and this is just one person's perspective.:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
Please also bare in mind I'm a harsh marker, what I say is not meant to be attacking or aggressive, just constructive and honest.

English marking is always subjective and this is just one person's perspective.:smile:

Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it. I will take your feedback on board to try and improve :smile:
Reply 11
My tutor marked my work and gave it top band marks. I'm so confused.
Original post by cybran
My tutor marked my work and gave it top band marks. I'm so confused.
That's because English is so interpretive. I'm a lethal marker so will pick up on lots of things. For instance, your teacher might not have a problem with referring to characters in first person; but a I've seen a lot of teachers & examiners who do. If they have given you points to improve on then look at them and build on them.

(quote me next time for an instant reply :wink: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending