The Student Room Group

CfE Higher French 2017/18

CfE HIGHER FRENCH 2017/18

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Higher French thread. This is a thread for those who are studying Higher French for the term of 2017/18. You are welcomed to use this thread to discuss and ask questions on different aspects of the course and also suggest difference resources. Anyone who had previously studied the course would also be more than welcome to provide any help or advice as well as sharing their experience of the subject as a whole.

So who's studying this course this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello everyone!

I just finished Higher French this year. I'm here to offer any help/advice you require over the coming year!

Bonne chance!
Do you have any recommendations on any books to purchase or where to buy notes
Reply 3
Original post by Oliviaerinhughes

Hey Oliviaerinhughes!

Last year, we used the BrightRED CfE Higher French Study Guide and Leckie & Leckie CfE Higher French Success Guide. They were quite useful, I think. We didn't use this book as much, but the How to Pass Higher French for CfE by Douglas Angus is supposed to be quite good too.

If you don't yet have a French dictionary of your own, I recommend the Collins French Dictionary with Grammar (the blue and yellow or blue and red one). The middle section is good at helping with formulating phrases.

Also, our teacher gave us lots of her own homemade materials, and they are what we used the bulk of the time alongside the textbooks I've mentioned.

That's about it. If I see something else useful, I'll come back here and let you all know.

Bonne chance!
Original post by françaisécossais
Hey Oliviaerinhughes!

Last year, we used the BrightRED CfE Higher French Study Guide and Leckie & Leckie CfE Higher French Success Guide. They were quite useful, I think. We didn't use this book as much, but the How to Pass Higher French for CfE by Douglas Angus is supposed to be quite good too.

If you don't yet have a French dictionary of your own, I recommend the Collins French Dictionary with Grammar (the blue and yellow or blue and red one). The middle section is good at helping with formulating phrases.

Also, our teacher gave us lots of her own homemade materials, and they are what we used the bulk of the time alongside the textbooks I've mentioned.

That's about it. If I see something else useful, I'll come back here and let you all know.

Bonne chance!

Thank you!!
Original post by ScotStudent899
CfE HIGHER FRENCH 2017/18

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Higher French thread. This is a thread for those who are studying Higher French for the term of 2017/18. You are welcomed to use this thread to discuss and ask questions on different aspects of the course and also suggest difference resources. Anyone who had previously studied the course would also be more than welcome to provide any help or advice as well as sharing their experience of the subject as a whole.

So who's studying this course this year?

How are you getting on with the course? Feeling prepared for the final exam?
Original post by Labrador99
How are you getting on with the course? Feeling prepared for the final exam?
yeah
yeah

That's good you're feeling quite prepared at this stage :smile: Did your prelim go well?
That's good you're feeling quite prepared at this stage :smile: Did your prelim go well?

Yes I got an A
Yes I got an A

That's great- well done :biggrin: Well, hope the exam goes just as well when it comes :smile:
Original post by bean101
Does anyone have a good method to answer the “consider the article as a whole” question at the end of the reading paper??
I really don’t know how to answer these type of questions so any help is appreciated :smile:

:wavey:

Saw your post in the other thread and thought you might find this one helpful- it's for all the people doing Higher French this year to discuss anything for the exam next month :smile:
:wavey:

Saw your post in the other thread and thought you might find this one helpful- it's for all the people doing Higher French this year to discuss anything for the exam next month :smile:

Thank you!! This will defo be helpful
Original post by bean101
Thank you!! This will defo be helpful

No problem :smile: There's a list of all the SQA subject threads here if you need it :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by duncan2000
What does everyone predict the personal response essay (after listening) will be on?

The personal response essay has never been on technology but I'm not sure whether that makes it more or less likely, probably less. I'm hoping for healthy lifestyles but I doubt it will come up.
Can anybody tell me how to answer that second last question? The two marker about understanding the passage.
Original post by TADADADA
Can anybody tell me how to answer that second last question? The two marker about understanding the passage.

my teacher says think of it like an english close reading question, quote the main ideas the question asks for in french and translate them so its like statement quote analysis response and do at least two
Original post by flwerofscotland
my teacher says think of it like an english close reading question, quote the main ideas the question asks for in french and translate them so its like statement quote analysis response and do at least two

that’s so annoying 😭😭 i dropped english asap, no wonder I can never answer the last question hahhaha
Original post by bean101
that’s so annoying 😭😭 i dropped english asap, no wonder I can never answer the last question hahhaha

i know hahaha i always read the questions first so then ill highlight quotes for the last question in a different colour to my usual highlighter as i go
i know hahaha i always read the questions first so then ill highlight quotes for the last question in a different colour to my usual highlighter as i go

That’s a really good idea, my usual method is just leaving out the 2 mark question cause a) I have no clue what to write and b) I’m a bit lazy 😂 determined to make an attempt at it on Thursday tho hahahaha

So you have to give analysis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending