The Student Room Group

PLease help me- Eczema issues

I have severe eczema on my face neck. I also have very large patches on my arms. I have had this for year (since I was 14) and it won't go. I've visited the GP many many times, and they have prescribed me many creams and steroids. The steroid work but the creams always leave my skin very red and itchy. I do not know what to do. Everyone stays away from me at schools for this reason and my self esteem is very low
(I am allergic got nuts and eggs btw)..
(edited 5 years ago)
Steroid creams can thin your skin so they're not a long term option. I use aqueous cream liberally, avoid overly hot showers and try to avoid itching. Giving up dairy helps a lot of people with their eczema.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Steroid creams can thin your skin so they're not a long term option. I use aqueous cream liberally, avoid overly hot showers and try to avoid itching. Giving up dairy helps a lot of people with their eczema.

I agree with this, I used to take really hot showers and my eczema got really bad. Have you tried double base or zero base?
Reply 3
Original post by Appazap
I agree with this, I used to take really hot showers and my eczema got really bad. Have you tried double base or zero base?

yh, whenever I get prescribed moisturisers such as zero base, my skin turn unbelievably red and itchy.
Should my skin be going extrememly red.
Is it becuase im allergic to something.
Why would people stay away from you because of eczema? It’s really common, there is something wrong with them and not you. Could you report it to the school?
Reply 5
Original post by Banshee123
yh, whenever I get prescribed moisturisers such as zero base, my skin turn unbelievably red and itchy.
Should my skin be going extrememly red.
Is it becuase im allergic to something.

Yeah it must be an allergy! What has you doctor said about this? Have you used any of the over the counter stuff like aveeno or e45?
instead of using creams, try black seed oil. take a few teaspoons a day and put it on affected areas. do this for atleast a month or so. let me know if it helps :smile: Also, those people who stay away from you just because you have eczema are idiotic. youll find people in your life who dont care about how you look or whats wrong with you. stay strong dont let it get you down x
Reply 7
Original post by Appazap
Yeah it must be an allergy! What has you doctor said about this? Have you used any of the over the counter stuff like aveeno or e45?

I used aveeno every day. My skin goes really red every day due to every moisteriser i have used including aveeno and e45. I told the doctor once that it goes red, and he said that dry skin normally goes a bit red. I didn't tell him it goes extremely red. Just as a bit of background, I have been referred to deadpool many times in the past (wasn't appreciated).
Reply 8
Original post by __iman_h_
instead of using creams, try black seed oil. take a few teaspoons a day and put it on affected areas. do this for atleast a month or so. let me know if it helps :smile: Also, those people who stay away from you just because you have eczema are idiotic. youll find people in your life who dont care about how you look or whats wrong with you. stay strong dont let it get you down x

I will try this, thank you for the support.
Reply 9
I used aveeno every day. My skin goes really red every day due to every moisteriser i have used including aveeno and e45. I told the doctor once that it goes red, and he said that dry skin normally goes a bit red. I didn't tell him it goes extremely red. Just as a bit of background, I have been referred to deadpool many times in the past (wasn't appreciated).

I think maybe research into some herbal treatments for your eczema like similar to what he person above me has said and maybe visit your doctor again. My friend had really bad eczema on the face and because she was black it came up quite dark on her skin and everybody said she had dirt on her face. Eventually her eczema cleared up so just keep at it. Good luck!
I don’t have eczema but it might be worth asking your gp to refer you to a dermatologist
Have you used E45 or Sudocrem? I've only had mild cases of eczema but those two have always helped. And try maybe stay off dairy as someone has already mentioned, since I stopped drinking cows milk and eating dairy products my skin has cleared up a lot in general so maybe that would be useful?
I have severe eczema on my face neck. I also have very large patches on my arms. I have had this for year (since I was 14) and it won't go. I've visited the GP many many times, and they have prescribed me many creams and steroids. The steroid work but the creams always leave my skin very red and itchy. I do not know what to do. Everyone stays away from me at schools for this reason and my self esteem is very low
(I am allergic got nuts and eggs btw)..

I'd recommend stopping using prescription creams and steroids and trying aveeno instead. I have horrific eczema too and aveeno always works so much better than anything on prescription
try eucerin, cut your nails fully to avoid scratching, gently exfoliate to get rid of dry skin. also know your triggers, for example I can’t use bio washing up powder bc it reacts with my skin so I use non bio. drink plenty of water, avoid stress and consume (and it might make your skin itchy but maybe worth a shot?) coconut oil.
if you are using steroid use it for a short period of time, for a few days and make sure you are constantly moisturizing throughout. I personally hate E45, I use cetramacragol (yikez spelling) and if you want a thicker sort of Oiler one, hydromol (personally it didn’t work for me though)
try to avoid exposing yourself to hot water, have cooler showers and moisturize immediately
thankfully mines basically cleared up but I know the struggles lol, good luck! X
Hey, I've had eczema since really young, like as long as i can remember, and honestly i havent found anything that really helps yet. My GP told me that oil based ointments are better than cream-based because they replace the oil in the dried out skin (this helped me quite a bit) and i also found that using moisturisers that were too thin/watery-ish (like double base) was really irritating for my skin.
As for self-esteem, one of the things that actually helped me was like, kinda owning it? Like i stopped wearing long sleeves and trying to hide the bad parts because there's not much to do about it- it's just skin (watching models/celebs with skin issues, even if it's not eczema, helped with this too).
Hope this helps!
Original post by YouAreAYute
try eucerin, cut your nails fully to avoid scratching, gently exfoliate to get rid of dry skin. also know your triggers, for example I can’t use bio washing up powder bc it reacts with my skin so I use non bio. drink plenty of water, avoid stress and consume (and it might make your skin itchy but maybe worth a shot?) coconut oil.
if you are using steroid use it for a short period of time, for a few days and make sure you are constantly moisturizing throughout. I personally hate E45, I use cetramacragol (yikez spelling) and if you want a thicker sort of Oiler one, hydromol (personally it didn’t work for me though)
try to avoid exposing yourself to hot water, have cooler showers and moisturize immediately
thankfully mines basically cleared up but I know the struggles lol, good luck! X

Thank you, i will try eucerin. It's a cream that I haven't tried, so i'll give it a go.
Try to find out what allergies or food intolerences you have that may be causing this problem.
Look at test my intolerences on line.
You get a test of 600 items food and non food for approximately £40.
This will then sort out the cause of the problem.
To treat your existing problem try Childs Farm moisturiser, you can Google this online.
This has got very good reason reviews online for treating this problem.
Another effective treatment I have heard is to put raw honey on your skin as it has natural healing problems.
Put it on your skin and leave for 1 hour. Wash off.
Try to do daily for a week.
You can research other natural cures on line by go ogling natural cures for ...etc.
Finally ensure that you have sufficient good fats in your diet for healthy skin.
Original post by Anonymous
Try to find out what allergies or food intolerences you have that may be causing this problem.
Look at test my intolerences on line.
You get a test of 600 items food and non food for approximately £40.
This will then sort out the cause of the problem.
To treat your existing problem try Childs Farm moisturiser, you can Google this online.
This has got very good reason reviews online for treating this problem.
Another effective treatment I have heard is to put raw honey on your skin as it has natural healing problems.
Put it on your skin and leave for 1 hour. Wash off.
Try to do daily for a week.
You can research other natural cures on line by go ogling natural cures for ...etc.
Finally ensure that you have sufficient good fats in your diet for healthy skin.

Thank you, the help is much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest