The Student Room Group

Nothing is going in

I'm really stressed because I really struggle to remember any content. I've been working hard trying to prove my teachers wrong with predictions however I'm struggling to revise and retain information - I only get stressed. Can someone desperately help. I'm studying for my A levels which start a week yesterday.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
which board are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by giavann
which board are you doing?

A2s - OCR geography, Edexcel English lit and Lang combined and AQA media 🙁🙁
How do you revise? Maybe change it up a bit? E.g. if you revise just by reading and re-writing, make flash cards and test yourself, every time you get a card wrong, put it in a pile and keep going until there's nothing. Or dependent on the subjects, plan essays/high mark answers (e.g. with psychology, if you can plan a 16 marker on a topic, you can answer any question on it). Or make nice posters of your work and condense it down, making you have to learn and remember the information in it's entirety. Maybe do a past paper and see how much you really do know, go away, and do whatever revision you need, and the do it again (get someone else to mark it the first time and just tell you the mark and what you go wrong, then you can't know the answer) :h:
Good luck on your Alevels! (Start mine in 2 weeks)
Reply 4
Original post by MorgzC
How do you revise? Maybe change it up a bit? E.g. if you revise just by reading and re-writing, make flash cards and test yourself, every time you get a card wrong, put it in a pile and keep going until there's nothing. Or dependent on the subjects, plan essays/high mark answers (e.g. with psychology, if you can plan a 16 marker on a topic, you can answer any question on it). Or make nice posters of your work and condense it down, making you have to learn and remember the information in it's entirety. Maybe do a past paper and see how much you really do know, go away, and do whatever revision you need, and the do it again (get someone else to mark it the first time and just tell you the mark and what you go wrong, then you can't know the answer) :h:
Good luck on your Alevels! (Start mine in 2 weeks)

Thank you! It's just so overwhelming isn't it? I'm sure I was never meant to get into A levels I just revised well at GCSE, but i can't really move them skills on to A level very well! Thanks for your advice!!! Good luck!
I think this blog has really amazing tips on how to revise: http://www.learningscientists.org/blog?category=For+Students Really worth reading the posts or listening to the podcast.
And there is also this one that is specific to how to create an effective revision timetable - also really relevant! https://www.kent-teach.com/Blog/post/2018/05/02/how-to-create-a-revision-timetable-to-maximise-learning.aspx

Good luck!
You will always feel like nothing is going in, that doesnt mean it isnt!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending