The Student Room Group

Got Accepted into All These Schools!! Which Would You Pick?!!

Poll

Please reply in the thread, but you can also just vote

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping to start my Masters in Management in autumn, and thank God, have been accepted into multiple universities. I'm having a bit of a hard time picking one, so can you guys tell me which you would pick and why?

Based on things that you believe are important, which would you pick?

The Universities in no particular order are:

. The University of Bristol
. The University of Exeter
. University of Warwick - Warwick Business School
. Kings College London
. University College London (UCL)
. University of Manchester - Manchester Alliance Business School
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bwinterwell
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping to start my Masters in Management in autumn, and thank God, have been accepted into multiple universities. I'm having a bit of a hard time picking one, so can you guys tell me which you would pick and why?

I think a few things are important to me when choosing.

- The level and quality of education
- The reputation of the school and brand name value (Very Important)
- The socioeconomic status of the students. ( This is one that very few people think of. However, these are peers you would likely have as friends throughout life. I'd like to study with people well connected in the business world and/or wealthy with a network of similar family and friends)

These are the things I think are very important in today's business world, but which would you pick?

The Universities in no particular order are:

. The University of Bristol
. The University of Exeter
. University of Warwick - Warwick Business School
. Kings College London
. University College London (UCL)
. University of Manchester - Manchester Alliance Business School

Just wow! I think you're going about doing this completely wrong. You need to focus on the course and maybe things like where grads end up. People who are well connected are not usually at uni doing expensive postgrad degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Just wow! I think you're going about doing this completely wrong. You need to focus on the course and maybe things like where grads end up. People who are well connected are not usually at uni doing expensive postgrad degrees.

I just knew someone would take it the wrong way. I'll clarify by saying I'm not daft. I consider the benefit of the course, as is evident by my choices in Universities. I never said well-connected peers is all that matters. But, only a naive person would convince themselves that it doesn't.

People in public offices and VPs tend to come from a select group of schools, not because they are smarter than people in state schools, but because of the calibre of their network.

Actually, I'll just edit it out. What I want is people's opinions of where they would go among the list. That's all that matters.
I just knew someone would take it the wrong way. I'll clarify by saying I'm not daft. I consider the benefit of the course, as is evident by my choices in Universities. I never said well-connected peers is all that matters. But, only a naive person would convince themselves that it doesn't.

People in public offices and VPs tend to come from a select group of schools, not because they are smarter than people in state schools, but because of the calibre of their network.

Actually, I'll just edit it out. What I want is people's opinions of where they would go among the list. That's all that matters.

I'm sorry to say but if you think people in public offices and VPs only come through connections you are deluded. You already have advice on how to choose a course above. Beyond that there isn't much more I can say to you beyond good luck! I think you have a lot to learn about how the world of work works at least in the UK.
(edited 5 years ago)

Where are the schools? These are universities ...
Reply 5
Out of those 6 schools, which one is considered to have the best business school/professors? Put them in priority list from top, 1 to bottom, 6. Also make a list from top to bottom of which modules you prefer at which school, and location/price/prestige/funding. Add up the points for each university, and you may start to see certain universities that you consistently rank higher than others.

Also with regards to your last point, I would recommend to not placing such importance to that, as ultimately, these 'wealthy and well-connected people' may have no interest in you at all and you've placed that as an important criteria! Instead, perhaps look at which universities have good business/finance/management societies, and what networking events/career services are available, as that will give you a better indication of the level of resources available to you. Good luck with your choice, they're all great universities!
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
I'm sorry to say but if you think people in public offices and VPs only come through connections you are deluded. You already have advice on how to choose a course above. Beyond that There isn't much more I can say to you beyond good luck! I think you have a lot to learn about how the world of work works at least in the UK.

Again, it's interesting how you assume talking down to me proves your point. It does nothing to prove your words. Statistics show that 75% of jobs are filled by relationships, not often by someone being able to prove they can do the job.

I graduated Cumme Laude undergrad from America in the sciences. It does not mean I should rely on my grades only to get me where I want to be. There are Harvard lawyers I know of who are hungry. The world is full of book smart people, I am not unique in that way.

Take the insider trading scandal of Steven A Cohen at SAC Capital. Not the S.E.C nor we viewers were shocked to find that all his wealth of information came from friends he made in Wharton (UPenn). Friends that were also CEOs in family businesses, etc.

I won't dismiss your opinions as you eagerly did mine, bud. But perhaps you should take your own advise and learn how the world truly works.
(edited 5 years ago)
Again, it's interesting how you assume talking down to me proves your point. It does nothing to prove your words. Statistics show that 75% of jobs are filled by relationships, not often by someone being able to prove they can do the job.

I graduated Cumme Laude undergrad from America in the sciences. It does not mean I should rely on my grades only to get me where I want to be. There are Harvard lawyers I know of who are hungry. The world is full of book smart people, I am not unique in that way.

Take the insider trading scandal of Steven A Cohen at SAC Capital. Not the S.E.C nor we viewers were not shocked to find that all his wealth of information came from friends he made in Wharton (UPenn). Friends that were also CEOs in family businesses, etc.

I won't dismiss your opinions as you eagerly did me, bud. But perhaps you should take your own advise and learn how the world truly works.

Oh hun! There's no need to get your tail in a knot and you certainly don't have to justify your views or pedigree to me. Please feel free to use whatever advice floats your boat. You have mine and few others' opinions to choose from :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Franas
Out of those 6 schools, which one is considered to have the best business school/professors? Put them in priority list from top, 1 to bottom, 6. Also make a list from top to bottom of which modules you prefer at which school, and location/price/prestige/funding. Add up the points for each university, and you may start to see certain universities that you consistently rank higher than others.

Also with regards to your last point, I would recommend to not placing such importance to that, as ultimately, these 'wealthy and well-connected people' may have no interest in you at all and you've placed that as an important criteria! Instead, perhaps look at which universities have good business/finance/management societies, and what networking events/career services are available, as that will give you a better indication of the level of resources available to you. Good luck with your choice, they're all great universities!

Thank you for offering your input. It is really appreciated. I have an idea of where I want to go to, actually. And it is indeed based on the modules and what the university offers course-wise. But I would have loved to hear where You would want to go.

About the last point. I debated adding it because I knew it would encompass the thread. I had a feeling that it would be all that most would see, eager to judge. I'm not chasing just that, but I know the weight of a well-connected circle. I have been a well-connected friend to someone in need. It was the first thing my finance professors beat into my head. "The wealth of your network is your wealth." If I asked you for a job that your best friend was equally qualified for, you'd give it to him. That is what I meant.

But no more worries about that, bud. Which would you choose, were you me?
Unfortunately i'm going to have to close this thread as it isn't going anywhere at the moment. For further discussion please go to AtCT.

Latest

Trending

Trending