The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Russian

Anyone else doing GCSE Russian on Wednesday and next Tuesday? Does anyone have any ideas what's gonna come up in the writing exam?
I'm fluent in Russian but I find writing so difficult :s-smilie:
Also edexcel just removed a lot of the past papers from their website which is really helpful...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Janeb120
Anyone else doing GCSE Russian on Wednesday and next Tuesday? Does anyone have any ideas what's gonna come up in the writing exam?
Also edexcel just removed a lot of the past papers from their website which is really helpful...

I had my Russian GCSE exam today , reading and listening, it was quite easy for me. Why did pearson delete past papers? I did not even notice that
Reply 2
Original post by princess_n12
I had my Russian GCSE exam today , reading and listening, it was quite easy for me. Why did pearson delete past papers? I did not even notice that

Hi I also do russian and I think I know why pearson deleted the past papers. (I do edexcel gcse russian) In the reading paper FIVE questions were questions that have appeared in other papers, word for word. I don't know how many other people(if any) have realised this, but I'm actually FUMING at edexel, this is so clearly a disadvantage for students who happened to not do those past papers as I know people in my class who did on of the repeated questions thatmorning so they knew the answers. I'm so angry about this and can someone let me know what I can do about this - should I complain/how do I complain
Original post by lion132
Hi I also do russian and I think I know why pearson deleted the past papers. (I do edexcel gcse russian) In the reading paper FIVE questions were questions that have appeared in other papers, word for word. I don't know how many other people(if any) have realised this, but I'm actually FUMING at edexel, this is so clearly a disadvantage for students who happened to not do those past papers as I know people in my class who did on of the repeated questions thatmorning so they knew the answers. I'm so angry about this and can someone let me know what I can do about this - should I complain/how do I complain

i also realised this, but as i had done the past papers, it was OK for me, but very unfair yes. That whole comprehension was word for word copied! ridiculous!

Original post by lion132

Do you have russian unofficial mark scheme? I am very interested in what i have written
Original post by lion132

Yes I realised that too! Its actually ridiculous, I recognised most of the questions in the reading comprehension. Do you think they'll use the writing past papers considering the writing papers have also disappeared from the exam board website?
Reply 6
Did anyone find that writing exam crap? I'm a native Russian so all the other papers were pretty straightforward, but i just think the question options were so uninteresting and dry so i found myself getting bored.
Original post by aliona
Did anyone find that writing exam crap? I'm a native Russian so all the other papers were pretty straightforward, but i just think the question options were so uninteresting and dry so i found myself getting bored.

Me too, I'm a native speaker and I was really struggling to find interesting things to say tbh, and they used past paper questions which I had already seen...
Reply 8
Original post by aliona

Me too, I'm a native speaker and I was really struggling to find interesting things to say tbh, and they used past paper questions which I had already seen...

Maybe this is a really stupid question but if you're native why bother take the GCSE and not just go straight for the A-level or even one of Russia's own official language exams?
Original post by Ryanzmw
Maybe this is a really stupid question but if you're native why bother take the GCSE and not just go straight for the A-level or even one of Russia's own official language exams?

I'm not planning on taking the a level at the moment, as I don't have a proper Russian teacher and the a level course requires a lot more preparation for the GCSE, and I wanted a qualification to sort of prove I could speak Russian (mention it when I'm applying to universities, job etc). I also moved from the Russian-speaking country that I grew up in a few years ago so I think I was too young to do any of their official exams.
I'm not planning on taking the a level at the moment, as I don't have a proper Russian teacher and the a level course requires a lot more preparation for the GCSE, and I wanted a qualification to sort of prove I could speak Russian (mention it when I'm applying to universities, job etc). I also moved from the Russian-speaking country that I grew up in a few years ago so I think I was too young to do any of their official exams.

Fair enough. I really envy you! I wish I could read stuff like Мастер и маргарита in its original text without having to consult a dictionary over and over xD
Please could you tell me which textbook/s you have used to study for the GCSE Russian exam? I have found it very difficult to find a textbook/workbook. Many Thanks!
Please could anyone tell me which textbook/workbook you have used for this exam? I am finding it very difficult to find any books for the GCSE exam. I am currently using a textbook for the B1 exam. Many Thanks.
Original post by WelshCaroline
Please could anyone tell me which textbook/workbook you have used for this exam? I am finding it very difficult to find any books for the GCSE exam. I am currently using a textbook for the B1 exam. Many Thanks.

Make a new thread and ask. You probably won't get any answers here

Are you learning Russian through your school? They would surely have some textbooks...my school didn't teach me Russian (I was already fluent) but I used vocab from the exam board resources and a really useful grammar exercise book, if you want I could send you the Amazon link to the book :smile:
Are you learning Russian through your school? They would surely have some textbooks...my school didn't teach me Russian (I was already fluent) but I used vocab from the exam board resources and a really useful grammar exercise book, if you want I could send you the Amazon link to the book :smile:

Thank you Janeb120. I'm learning it from a Russian teacher to sit the B1 CEFR Moscow university exam. So I only have the B1 books. I would be grateful if you could send me the Amazon link for the grammar book. Thanks for answering me.
Thank you Janeb120. I'm learning it from a Russian teacher to sit the B1 CEFR Moscow university exam. So I only have the B1 books. I would be grateful if you could send me the Amazon link for the grammar book. Thanks for answering me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russkiy-yazyk-uprazhneniyakh-govoryashchikh-nemetskom/dp/5883371558/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537463389&sr=8-1&keywords=russian+in+exercises+khavronina Here you go :smile: it's quite expensive but I thought it was worth the money as there are so many grammar exercises in it. Bear in mind it doesn't provide full explanations of the grammar, it just has a lot of good exercises
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russkiy-yazyk-uprazhneniyakh-govoryashchikh-nemetskom/dp/5883371558/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537463389&sr=8-1&keywords=russian+in+exercises+khavronina Here you go :smile: it's quite expensive but I thought it was worth the money as there are so many grammar exercises in it. Bear in mind it doesn't provide full explanations of the grammar, it just has a lot of good exercises

Thank you so much I will order it. Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Thank you so much I will order it. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

No problem!
Original post by AnonYMous122341
i also realised this, but as i had done the past papers, it was OK for me, but very unfair yes. That whole comprehension was word for word copied! ridiculous!

do you happen to have a copy of the edexel gcse russian past papers because i have mocks in like 2 weeks and have no past papers at all :frown: PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE TYSMMM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending