The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Economics at King's College

I would like to ask any current student or alum on how their experience at King's College was for studying Economics, and about how 'flexible' the course was in terms of content.

But before that I'd like to ask if having 4 As and no A*s in A Levels could grant me admission even after having taken a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

I've just moved this so it shows in both Economics and PPE university courses and King's College London forums- hopefully someone should see this and reply :h:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Hello, I have just finished my first year as a BSc Economics student at King's.

To answer your question regarding the flexibility of the content of the course, I would say that in the first year there is no flexibility as you don't get to choose your modules. However, the course is jointly run by two departments: the Department of Political Economy and King's Business School. This implies hat students studying the course have compulsory and optional modules (in the second and third year) from both departments which can be considered an advantage.

In the second year, you have 4 compulsory modules from both departments and you need to choose 4 optional modules from either of the two departments. Talking from personal experience however, we had 15 module options from the Department of Political Economy (which were mostly Politics based) and only 5-6 options from the Business School. This can be considered as a disadvantage by someone who is more interested into the Management, Accounting or Finance side of Economics, rathe than the Politics side. However if you are interested in Politics then you would find the course content 'flexible' with lots of Politics-related options. You can always apply to modules provided by other deparments at the university, however there is a whole process where you need to get your department's permission, as well as the persmission of the department of the other module and it is also based on availability and perhaps any pre-requisites that the module has.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else!
Reply 3
Original post by 1234m5678

To answer your question regarding the flexibility of the content of the course, I would say that in the first year there is no flexibility as you don't get to choose your modules. However, the course is jointly run by two departments: the Department of Political Economy and King's Business School. This implies hat students studying the course have compulsory and optional modules (in the second and third year) from both departments which can be considered an advantage.

In the second year, you have 4 compulsory modules from both departments and you need to choose 4 optional modules from either of the two departments. Talking from personal experience however, we had 15 module options from the Department of Political Economy (which were mostly Politics based) and only 5-6 options from the Business School. This can be considered as a disadvantage by someone who is more interested into the Management, Accounting or Finance side of Economics, rathe than the Politics side. However if you are interested in Politics then you would find the course content 'flexible' with lots of Politics-related options. You can always apply to modules provided by other deparments at the university, however there is a whole process where you need to get your department's permission, as well as the persmission of the department of the other module and it is also based on availability and perhaps any pre-requisites that the module has.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else!

Thanks for the informative reply! One other thing I'd like to ask is about the students from both departments; can it be said that more people studying economics were on the political courses for the second and third years than the business students? Also if you have any idea on how the faculty is for the business modules side.
Glad I can help, let me know if there's anything else you need!
Given that it has been the first year that King's had a pure Economics course, I can't really say anything about what modules the students choose. I personally chose 2 modules from the Political Economy department and 2 modules from the Business school for next year, but I know people who chose all 4 of their modules from the Political Economy department or all 4 from the Business school - it really depends on your preferences.
In the first year I was taught by both the Political Economy department and the Business school and they are both good departments!
Reply 5
Glad I can help, let me know if there's anything else you need!
Given that it has been the first year that King's had a pure Economics course, I can't really say anything about what modules the students choose. I personally chose 2 modules from the Political Economy department and 2 modules from the Business school for next year, but I know people who chose all 4 of their modules from the Political Economy department or all 4 from the Business school - it really depends on your preferences.
In the first year I was taught by both the Political Economy department and the Business school and they are both good departments!

Ah I see, sounds great. If I may ask, what were the range of A level grades through which the freshmen were accepted, if any?
I can't really help with this one, I know people who got accepted with A*AA or higher, but I don't know if there are people who got accepted with something less than that.
Reply 7
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by themight
Are there any modules to avoid? :/

Are you going to King's to do Economics? As far as the first year is concerned, you don't have any module options so you can't avoid any modules.
I'm currently year 12 student, year 13 in September, and I visited King's Business School not long ago and they mentioned about study abroad options for one semester in the second year.

As you have finished year one did you have these options available and if so could you let us know a bit more about them?
Original post by DanielH2001
I'm currently year 12 student, year 13 in September, and I visited King's Business School not long ago and they mentioned about study abroad options for one semester in the second year.

As you have finished year one did you have these options available and if so could you let us know a bit more about them?

Hello! Yes we have the option of studying abroad in the second year, however I was not interested in doing it so I unfortunately don't know any details about this.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just to ask what were your predicted grades when applying to Kings for economics.
Hi,

How have you found employment to be? Since it's a new course, (and I know this is a classic question) I'm wondering: are students successful breaking into investment banking?
Original post by yourGfin
Hi,

How have you found employment to be? Since it's a new course, (and I know this is a classic question) I'm wondering: are students successful breaking into investment banking?

King's is ok for a job in banking.
Sorry to be a **** - but that information is pretty useless. It’s a new course and so previous years are unlikely to be representative. I also wanted his own personal take considering he studies there
i was wondering how people are finding the course? I have an offer but I havent decided whether to go there or not - the only information i can find is on the site
Original post by gmike8301
i was wondering how people are finding the course? I have an offer but I havent decided whether to go there or not - the only information i can find is on the site

What are your predicted grades?
only choose KCL econ if you really like their modules. Otherwise you will hate econ

Quick Reply

Latest