The Student Room Group

New Zealand MP fears 'existential threat' of synthetic burgers

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/new-zealand-fake-burger-existential-threat-red-meat

The absolute state of this.

Good synthetic meat that was indistinquishable from the "real thing" would be an incredible way to just eliminate a load of animal suffering. Conservatives like this MP are going to be a major barrier to progress.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/05/new-zealand-fake-burger-existential-threat-red-meat

The absolute state of this.

Good synthetic meat that was indistinquishable from the "real thing" would be an incredible way to just eliminate a load of animal suffering. Conservatives like this MP are going to be a major barrier to progress.

I'm a Hindu Tory and I am right-wing, but I support animal rights and I care about animals. I support vegetarianism and I think that alternatives to animal usage should be encouraged.
Reply 2
I think it might be quite a problem for a country like New Zealand with a big meat exporting industry
Well it is a big threat to their economy so he has all the right to be angry
Original post by AperfectBalance

Capitalism, if it is good for anything, is it's ability to tear up old modes of production and social reproduction whilst creating new ones. That MP is like the supporters of fedualism.

Original post by Trapz99
I think it might be quite a problem for a country like New Zealand with a big meat exporting industry

So? Adapt or die is the name of the game. We used to be a mine for natural resources.
(edited 5 years ago)
synthetic meat

That's not synthetic meat it's a veggie burger, not sure false advertising is going to do the cause any good.
(edited 5 years ago)
Capitalism, if it is good for anything, is it's ability to tear up old modes of production and social reproduction whilst creating new ones. That MP is like the supporters of fedualism.

So? Adapt or die is the name of the game. We used to be a mine for natural resources.

Not supporting this is not like supporting feudalism
It is just a toy burgers for vegetarians that want eat meat but on too high horsers to just eat it.

But MP should wait for synthetic meat - that will be a bomb. Literally will a natural way to indoctrinate the humanity.
Reply 8
The animal agriculture industry is literally an existential threat to billions of sentient beings.

No, it’s not. It’s a threat to the animal agriculture industry. As ChaoticButterfly notes, special interests don’t make up an economy; if they did, then the disappearance of industries of the past would have crashed economies across the world.

If consumers don’t like synthetic meat products, then they won’t buy them. If they do, what right does the government have to prevent them from purchasing it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by disposable
I'm a Hindu Tory and I am right-wing, but I support animal rights and I care about animals. I support vegetarianism and I think that alternatives to animal usage should be encouraged.

By conservative I meant resistant to change. There are many in left wing parties who would appose this as well. It is abolutley possible to be both right wing and pro this kind of change in food production.

Original post by the beer
That's not synthetic meat it's a veggie burger, not sure false advertising is going to do the cause any good.

I agree but the sentiment is the same. If they are acting like this to a "veggie burger" imagine how they will react if you can literally grow cow meat in a test tube.

Not supporting this is not like supporting feudalism

I agree it is a poor anology as there is no major upheavel in the dominant mode of production. A better analogy is like supporting human labour based mining in the UK, when the forces of globalisation are making it impossible.
(edited 5 years ago)
I really want to try one of these burgers now.
Original post by Sulfolobus
I really want to try one of these burgers now.

It sounds pretty disgusting, "soft and mushy", "smelt like liver", "a hint of seaweed flavor"
Original post by the beer
"soft and mushy", "smelt like liver", "a hint of seaweed flavor"

Just like a fine woman.
Reply 13
Veggie burgers have been around for a long time without causing an "existential threat" to anything. I don't think the addition of fake blood is suddenly going to cause a radical upheaval.
Original post by Sulfolobus
Just like a fine woman.

A vaggie burger?
Original post by Chucke1992
It is just a toy burgers for vegetarians that want eat meat without inflicting the animal suffering required to get real meat. As that is why they are vegetarians.

Fixed that for you.
I'm a Hindu Tory

:biggrin:

I am a turkey and I support Christmas
Original post by Maths&physics
:biggrin:

I am a turkey and I support Christmas

Isn't the majority of the Non-Muslim Indian community in-line with the Tories now?
Isn't the majority of the Non-Muslim Indian community in-line with the Tories now?

is it? I dont know but is being inline with the tories a good thing?
Original post by Maths&physics
is it? I dont know but is being inline with the tories a good thing?

Non-Muslim Indians outside the United States are right-wing actually. Hindu Nationalism has been surging in India since around 2014. Most westernised Indians live outside the USA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending