The Student Room Group

best texbook for A LEVEL psychology AQA!

Ive read the big books are too waffly so what books would you suggest?
BUMP
Reply 4
Original post by seconda1
Thanks hun! X

Someone suggested the complete companion and student book by mike cardwell ? Would do you think of that x

welcome <3

Had a look at the book and it looks good. Think it would be a good buy.
Thanks hun! X

Someone suggested the complete companion and student book by mike cardwell ? Would do you think of that x

Hey, bit late and you've probably already bought your books but I just finished AQA Psych.

The "Complete Companion Student Book" (the one with the cat or dog on the front) are more detailed and therefore probably better if you're going for top grades. However, the books suggested above by the other user are great if you are struggling to understand some of the content as it is in more of a simple form. Also, the Evaluation (AO3) in the books with the green/pink haired girl are so much nicer to read, much more simple.

Basically, I bought both in the end. If you can afford to do that, then by all means do it, but it's obviously not necessary (and these books are so expensive! Basically a good £120 over for both years!). Tbh, you can buy either book and still get top grades/full marks! Have you spoken to your teacher? See what they recommend because they may base their lessons around a certain book, and also they may have a little library full of all the text books meaning it's not necessary to buy them all! :smile:

Good luck with your studies!
Original post by romansholiday
Hey, bit late and you've probably already bought your books but I just finished AQA Psych.

The "Complete Companion Student Book" (the one with the cat or dog on the front) are more detailed and therefore probably better if you're going for top grades. However, the books suggested above by the other user are great if you are struggling to understand some of the content as it is in more of a simple form. Also, the Evaluation (AO3) in the books with the green/pink haired girl are so much nicer to read, much more simple.

Basically, I bought both in the end. If you can afford to do that, then by all means do it, but it's obviously not necessary (and these books are so expensive! Basically a good £120 over for both years!). Tbh, you can buy either book and still get top grades/full marks! Have you spoken to your teacher? See what they recommend because they may base their lessons around a certain book, and also they may have a little library full of all the text books meaning it's not necessary to buy them all! :smile:

Good luck with your studies!

thanks for the reply hun

ahhhh i brought the pink and green haired girl one because someone said the one with the dogs is really waffly where as pink and green haired girl ones are better!
im making my que card from these books will that be alright?
im aiming for A/A* and im self teaching
(edited 5 years ago)
don't get the CGP one, its ****.
Original post by _b_e_n_
don't get the CGP one, its ****.

i wont haha tbh theres far too much content and a cgp is prob not even minimum
thanks for the reply hun

ahhhh i brought the pink and green haired girl one because someone said the one with the dogs is really waffly where as pink and green haired girl ones are better!
im making my que card from these books will that be alright?
im aiming for A/A* and im self teaching

Yes I definitely agree! The pink/green haired girl get straight to the point. The only topic I remember my teacher saying that the pink/green haired girl book lacks in detail is Biopsychology (e.g. I don't think they included Fight or Flight even though it could come up as a 16 marker) so maybe get some extra information for this topic on "Simply Psychology" or "Physics and Maths Tutor" ( http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Psychology/A-level/Notes/AQA/9-Biopsychology/Biopsychology%20Notes%20-%20AQA%20Psychology%20A-level.pdf ).

My Psychology revision was based around making flashcards/que cards. Remember to revise evaluation - It's so important to cover this for top marks, it'll boost your grade from C to A/A*.
Yes I definitely agree! The pink/green haired girl get straight to the point. The only topic I remember my teacher saying that the pink/green haired girl book lacks in detail is Biopsychology (e.g. I don't think they included Fight or Flight even though it could come up as a 16 marker) so maybe get some extra information for this topic on "Simply Psychology" or "Physics and Maths Tutor" ( http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Psychology/A-level/Notes/AQA/9-Biopsychology/Biopsychology%20Notes%20-%20AQA%20Psychology%20A-level.pdf ).

My Psychology revision was based around making flashcards/que cards. Remember to revise evaluation - It's so important to cover this for top marks, it'll boost your grade from C to A/A*.

isn't biopsychology split into both parts (book 1 and 2) i thought that would be enough for content? yeah defo memorising ao1,2,3 xx
isn't biopsychology split into both parts (book 1 and 2) i thought that would be enough for content? yeah defo memorising ao1,2,3 xx

Yeah, some of Biopsych is taught in AS and the rest is taught in A2, but you'll have to learn all of it if you're going for the full A Level. It just lacks detail for Biopsych in your books, I can't find a double page spread dedicated to Fight or Flight in your books - It can come up as a 16 marker including AO3 so just be wary.

Also, you don't really need to memorise AO2, it's just application questions...
Yeah, some of Biopsych is taught in AS and the rest is taught in A2, but you'll have to learn all of it if you're going for the full A Level. It just lacks detail for Biopsych in your books, I can't find a double page spread dedicated to Fight or Flight in your books - It can come up as a 16 marker including AO3 so just be wary.

Also, you don't really need to memorise AO2, it's just application questions...

i'll remember this and try and get more info on fight and flight
thanks xx

what are your tips for psychology? i really want an A* but would be happy with A
If anyone is interested I have one copy of the year 12 psychology textbook and 2 copies of the pink haired aqa year 13 textbook for sale pm me if interested
i'll remember this and try and get more info on fight and flight
thanks xx

what are your tips for psychology? i really want an A* but would be happy with A

Wowwwwww, my response is a month late but I didn't even see your question, I'm so sorry:biggrin:

One tip would be to never ignore evaluation. In Year 12, I basically didn't revise evaluation and just almost made it up on the spot when in exams, and I honestly think if your evaluation isn't top notch it restricts you from reaching top grades. When I started learning evaluation points and researcher names in Year 13, my overall grades definitely increased. Also, Research Methods is the most important topic in AQA Psychology and accounts for 25% of marks, so revise it thoroughly by completing as many past paper questions as you possibly can as well as learning all the concepts and fundamental information.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hello :-) . Does anyone here have any tips on how to learn exam technique?

Quick Reply

Latest