The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

How good is Lancaster? Is it better than Manchester?

I don't know which I should choose.
The answer depends on your definition of 'good'. I'd say each have their strengths, and the most important thing is which institution best meet your needs, rather how 'good' they are in general, or which is 'better'.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by chaotic1328
The answer depends on your definition of 'good'. I'd say each have their strengths, and the most important thing is which institution best meet your needs, rather how 'good' they are in general, or which is 'better'.

I don't know. I'd say a good uni, to me, is one that has a good reputation and good career prospects for their students. I guess what I meant was : "Which of these two universities is the most respected and gives the best career prospects when it comes to law"...
Original post by SwanQueen
I don't know. I'd say a good uni, to me, is one that has a good reputation and good career prospects for their students. I guess what I meant was : "Which of these two universities is the most respected and gives the best career prospects when it comes to law"...

Reputation wise, you are on a sticky wicket, as everyone would have different opinions of the status of different universities, while always adding the caveat, with the exception of Oxbridge.

Job prospects from individual courses can be far more objective, if we take past performance as an indicator of future outcomes. Inductive, I know, but inductive reasoning is not always bad. I'd leave that side of the answer to those with better expertise in the area.
Reply 4
Original post by chaotic1328
Reputation wise, you are on a sticky wicket, as everyone would have different opinions of the status of different universities, while always adding the caveat, with the exception of Oxbridge.

Job prospects from individual courses can be far more objective, if we take past performance as an indicator of future outcomes. Inductive, I know, but inductive reasoning is not always bad. I'd leave that side of the answer to those with better expertise in the area.

Okay ^^ Thanks anyway!!
Reply 5

Why don’t you try Exeter, so that you can practice in France afterwards. Most Law courses in England don’t allow this. Assas is more prestigious for law than Sorbonne. Also, as you know it is easy to get into Law school in France, but it is very difficult to pass to second year.
Reply 6
Original post by Film
Why don’t you try Exeter, so that you can practice in France afterwards. Most Law courses in England don’t allow this. Assas is more prestigious for law than Sorbonne. Also, as you know it is easy to get into Law school in France, but it is very difficult to pass to second year.

That doesn't have anything to do with my question + I
don't think I still want to work in France after my studies.
I live here, and I know for sure that la Sorbonne is a reference in Law. I could have applied to Assas and I could have gotten into it, but I know a lot of people who have been there and I've never heard -not even once- one of them say they don't regret studying there.
I know my country, thank you very much. And I also know how elitism and nepotism are linked to the profession of Lawyer, here, they don't care about how smart or capable you are, if you don't know ´someone' you're not anyone and you don't have much chance to actually become someone at some point...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7

"Choose"?

At what stage of your application are you? Is this for postgraduate or undergraduate? If its undergrad do you hold offers from both or are you considering applying for entry in 2019? You have up to 5 UCAS choices - you can apply to both Lancaster and Manchester, and then visit them to help you decide which you prefer.
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
"Choose"?

At what stage of your application are you? Is this for postgraduate or undergraduate? If its undergrad do you hold offers from both or are you considering applying for entry in 2019? You have up to 5 UCAS choices - you can apply to both Lancaster and Manchester, and then visit them to help you decide which you prefer.

Missed my offer for Manchester at the Bac so I applied to some unis through Clearing. I've received a positive answer from Lancaster and I'm still waiting for Mcr's answer. It would be for Year 1 to Year 3 as an Undergraduate.
Reply 9
Missed my offer for Manchester at the Bac so I applied to some unis through Clearing. I've received a positive answer from Lancaster and I'm still waiting for Mcr's answer. It would be for Year 1 to Year 3 as an Undergraduate.

Ok, but if Manchester already rejected you they won't accept you through clearing.
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury
Ok, but if Manchester already rejected you they won't accept you through clearing.

I've never said I was -or was going to- applying through Clearing...I had an offer. I have submitted my results and they are under review. I might not get into Manchester, still, I'd like to know which uni is the best...and so far, I've only had one helpful answer. If you don't want to answer my question don't waste your time -and accesorily mine- answering at all...I don't mean to be mean, I'm just done having strangers judging me and my choices...
Reply 11
I've never said I was -or was going to- applying through Clearing...I had an offer. I have submitted my results and they are under review. I might not get into Manchester, still, I'd like to know which uni is the best...and so far, I've only had one helpful answer. If you don't want to answer my question don't waste your time -and accesorily mine- answering at all...I don't mean to be mean, I'm just done having strangers judging me and my choices...

I'm not judging you... I'm trying to understand your application status. You said you *missed* your offer, you didn't say Manchester was still considering you. You can't formally apply to any university unless you've been put into clearing, but you can make informal enquiries. From your answer "I applied to some unis for Clearing" I presumed Manchester had rejected you.

Anyway I'll leave you to it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
He's a lawyer better not argue
Reply 13
Okay! Thanks a lot ^^
About equal for law. If you do plan on returning to France, I should imagine Manchester might be better known as it does well in the international rankings. If you plan on staying in England, no one is going to care which one you went to.
Reply 15
Original post by Notoriety
About equal for law. If you do plan on returning to France, I should imagine Manchester might be better known as it does well in the international rankings. If you plan on staying in England, no one is going to care which one you went to.

Okay, thank you very much for answering my question. ^^
Original post by Notoriety

This ^ and you should also consider what kind of environment you would like to study in, as Manchester and Lancaster couldn't be much more different. University of Manchester is slap bang in one of the busiest cities in the UK, whereas Lancaster University is very secluded, about 30min drive from a quaint historical city.
I accepted the offer from Lancaster for the MSc Management over Manchester, Reading, Leeds, Durham (and Bradford).

I can't say with certainty which is the best choice. They all have similar rankings and reputation, so I tried to focus mostly on the reputation of the specific subject I will be studying as well as the modules that are included.
Other factors that influenced me a bit were the facilities of the university and the size of Lancaster.

There are many things to consider and possibly not a correct answer, start weighing things and try to collect many opinions of people that know what they are talking about.

Hi there! :smile:

I am Rebecca, one of the Student Ambassadors for Lancaster University. I looked at a lot of Unis before I made my choice (I think about 10!), so I definitely agree you should weigh up your options and make sure you make the right choice for you!

I chose Lancaster because I felt at home here and that there was lots of activity that I could get involved in. Have you visited both cities and campuses? I think that's so important! I know at Lancaster you can come and have a look around (even if it's not on an Open Day).

When I came to visit Lancaster University I was impressed by all of the connections they have with employers too - so perhaps this is something to ask each Law Department about?

It is a campus university, and it's only about 10 minutes from the city centre by bus. But in the first year most people live on campus, so there is always lots going on here! Have you heard about the College system? I'm in Furness College and it's a great way to meet people. Each College also has a bar and they put on lots of events on campus. You can see more here http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/teaching-and-learning/collegiate-system/

I hope this is helpful! I am happy to answer any other questions you have! :thumbsup:

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending