The Student Room Group

Miscellaneous Thread VII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by trapking
Lukaku should really be the guy getting the golden boot. Kane just stat padding and stealing penalties so his goal tally goes up as usual.

Lukaku is the real deal. Don't @ me.

:lol:

Gonna quote you and say you are telling the truth for once.
Reply 761
Kane had a really strange tournament. Got himself some goals but played terrible in open play.

I assume he was injured but he looked relatively mobile when the ball came near him, so playing him as an attacking mid was just strange.
Reply 762
Original post by Mess.
Kane had a really strange tournament. Got himself some goals but played terrible in open play.

I assume he was injured but he looked relatively mobile when the ball came near him, so playing him as an attacking mid was just strange.

Southgate's fault again. Idea was to use him long and Sterling runs onto it. But instead of that we could have played on the ground, have RLC progress the ball with Sterling deeper so they can run at people. I think the aim was to have Sterling high up so they have to drop and England have more space in midfield. Then if they push high Kane just heads to Sterling who's through on goal.

Boy Rashford gets a free pass too.

Original post by sr90
Same people who'll be shouting "it's just a game" in a patronising tone when their partner wants to watch football in December instead of pay attention to them.

Hope these f***ity **** ****s got recorded.

Bunch of mugs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Felt like it was more who he took off. Didnt understand why he's bringing on Dier for Hendo and leave RLC on the bench. We look worse with Dier on the pitch too, I swear we always conceded after he came on. Sterling felt like our only threat from open play. Kane had alright hold up for the first couple games, since then he was pretty anonymous. Ali flattered to deceive too.

I don't know what subs he could make bar RLC that would actually have possibly improved us though. Vardy/rashford added zilch.
Reply 764
Original post by bj27
Southgate's fault again. Idea was to use him long and Sterling runs onto it. But instead of that we could have played on the ground, have RLC progress the ball with Sterling deeper so they can run at people. I think the aim was to have Sterling high up so they have to drop and England have more space in midfield. Then if they push high Kane just heads to Sterling who's through on goal.

Boy Rashford gets a free pass too.

Hope these f***ity **** ****s got recorded.

Bunch of mugs.

The flick on and pace routine would only work if the person you flick on to is a finisher or you have late runners with pace following the sprinter.

England played with neither so in the end Sterling will end up with the majority of abuse from the racist press.
Reply 765
Original post by So Instinct
Felt like it was more who he took off. Didnt understand why he's bringing on Dier for Hendo and leave RLC on the bench. We look worse with Dier on the pitch too, I swear we always conceded after he came on. Sterling felt like our only threat from open play. Kane had alright hold up for the first couple games, since then he was pretty anonymous. Ali flattered to deceive too.

I don't know what subs he could make bar RLC that would actually have possibly improved us though. Vardy/rashford added zilch.

Rose offered a lot but should have been starting regardless. Also Wilshere should have been on the plane. Only in England is a guy who is as talented as Wilshere not make the international side when you have no alternatives.
Kane and Lukaku were both pretty **** tbh.

Stat padding all over.
Reply 767
Original post by Mess.
The flick on and pace routine would only work if the person you flick on to is a finisher or you have late runners with pace following the sprinter.

England played with neither so in the end Sterling will end up with the majority of abuse from the racist press.

Pretty much. Anyway Sterling went off so they really can't say anything.
Original post by bj27
Rose offered a lot but should have been starting regardless. Also Wilshere should have been on the plane. Only in England is a guy who is as talented as Wilshere not make the international side when you have no alternatives.

I think the fact we really offered nothing going forward after 45 mins is what killed us, that and just not taking early chances. Rose doesn't really fix either of those. Idk about Wilshire, without sterling I can't see him adding anything unless Rashford start making some runs, even then we need someone who can finish. Probably would have got injured by one of those flies in the group stage anyway.
Reply 769
Original post by Rk2k14
Kane and Lukaku were both pretty **** tbh.

Stat padding all over.

#MyNumber9 Can't wait for Fred, Sandro and Lukaku combos in the new season bro, we finna win the league with the Portuguese Stalin :biggrin:

Reply 770
Original post by So Instinct
I think the fact we really offered nothing going forward after 45 mins is what killed us, that and just not taking early chances. Rose doesn't really fix either of those. Idk about Wilshire, without sterling I can't see him adding anything unless Rashford start making some runs, even then we need someone who can finish. Probably would have got injured by one of those flies in the group stage anyway.

Rose fixed it in the sense that in a 3atb system you need wingbacks who are good at pushing on, especially if you have a 3-5-2 as there is no opportunity for overlapping or underlapping runs from the fullback+winger, which was part of Chelsea's problem this season when we were using 3-5-2(although we had Fabregas and Kante so it works better for us) Trippier was a big source of creativity and to see the left side devoid of creativity because of Young is frustrating to see.

Wilshere helps in the sense that he can keep the game ticking in midfield and can dribble past players in a way that Modric does for Croatia, although RLC does this too.

It's not about finishing for England, it's about creating chances and restricting chances because that is what wins games(which is why Liverpool got to a CL final, because they are great at creating lots of chances), Sterling was a clutch player for City last season despite the fact his finishing is atrocious.
Really don't get why RLC didn't come on
Reply 772
@Louis thoughts on Southgate?

Doing it away from the Croatia thread because that's turned to complete AIDS
Wilshire had no right to be on the plane. Semi fit, hasn't played anything like a full season etc

RLC looked great earlier this summer, picks the ball up and makes ground. A midfield 3 of RLC, Henderson and Lingard would have been interesting. Dier makes us look terrible and Alli was either unfit or woeful all tournament,
Reply 774
Original post by Angry cucumber
Wilshire had no right to be on the plane. Semi fit, hasn't played anything like a full season etc

RLC looked great earlier this summer, picks the ball up and makes ground. A midfield 3 of RLC, Henderson and Lingard would have been interesting. Dier makes us look terrible and Alli was either unfit or woeful all tournament,

Meh Khedira was injured the whole of 13/14 and started for Germany. Wilshere plays well for England too.'

But agree on RLC.
Original post by bj27
Meh Khedira was injured the whole of 13/14 and started for Germany. Wilshere plays well for England too.'

But agree on RLC.

Khedira was world class and had played for years in top teams as a regular starter. Wilshire is as free agent made of glass
Reply 776
I didn't watch the England-Belgium game but Croatia seemed to be the first to even try and press England and England couldn't deal with it. Vrsaljko mentioned that after the game. England's play out of the back methods completely exposed.

Original post by trapking
#MyNumber9 Can't wait for Fred, Sandro and Lukaku combos in the new season bro, we finna win the league with the Portuguese Stalin :biggrin:

You're actually shameless.
Reply 777
Original post by S.G.

You're actually shameless.

You know I had to :wink:

:colondollar:
Original post by The Wavefunction
Really don't get why RLC didn't come on

Southgate’s subs were all pre-planned except for the Vardy one

He doesn’t have the nous
Southgate wasnt that good to be honest.

Seemed like England's tactics throughout the tournament were set pieces.

Not necessarily a bad thing because its a strength for them but what was the tactic when the ball was in play? Long ball?

Very tactically inflexible. Poor subs too. Rashford really.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest