The Student Room Group

Rolex for an undergraduate

Hi, I'll start my undergraduate studies in England this year; my family isn't very rich but I was offered a Rolex and I wear it. I would like to know what would you think of if you see an undergraduate student wearing a Rolex? Obviously I don't want to be perceived as cocky or elitist.
I'd prob assume it was fake if i bothered to look closely.

Depending on your age folk might just take it off you :/
Reply 2
Couldn't give two ****s. How much was it though?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Victor Maitre
Hi, I'll start my undergraduate studies in England this year; my family isn't very rich but I was offered a Rolex and I wear it. I would like to know what would you think of if you see an undergraduate student wearing a Rolex? Obviously I don't want to be perceived as cocky or elitist.

where are you from? you will meet students from china, arab and brunei who will wear similar or more expensive watches than yours. so don't worry about perceptions. people who diss you are either jealous or insecure or both. so pay no attention to them.

I don't tend to look at people's wrists very often.
Original post by StriderHort
I'd prob assume it was fake if i bothered to look closely.

Depending on your age folk might just take it off you :/

well, I'm 18
Original post by bspercy
Couldn't give two ****s. How much was it though?

around 7000$ :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Audrey18
where are you from? you will meet students from china, arab and brunei who will wear similar or more expensive watches than yours. so don't worry about perceptions. people who diss you are either jealous or insecure or both. so pay no attention to them.

thankss
thankss

if you have it you flaunt it. you don't have to be cocky about it. what you wear, how you dress, what you carry, what you use is a reflection of who you are. if you're going to allow yourself to be bothered by remarks or observations from those who cannot afford such things then let me tell you that you're not going to be able to focus on your degree course.

i am into brands as well. when i see someone wearing a nice watch or carrying a nice bag, i smile at them and they smile back as a form of acknowledgment. so ignore those who're jealous and insecure. you live only once so live it to the fullest.
You'd look a **** and rightly so.
well, I'm 18

Will depend where you go at end of day, but there are absolutely folk who would not resist the temptation to take it, easy couple of grand for someone down on their luck and feeling the pinch and they're taking it off a kid. Sucks that people can't have nice things but that's how the UK is just now, it's not like violent muggings in England are trending downwards.

Don't want to put the fear in you but I would be leery, I just don't think uni's are the place for such things, even if you just lose or break it. I have a nice Tudor BB but I only wear it on special or dress occasions, cheaper/functional Hugo Boss job for Uni/Work.

At least get good insurance. Bit of context, last year my unis accom got done, bunch of guys just stormed through in a few mins, laptops, phones, money, jewelery. Police and uni could only shrug and say 'sorry to hear that, be more careful in future'
(edited 5 years ago)
You right, I should be cautious!
I'd probably steal it tbh
I was an undergraduate with an Omega, no-one except watch enthusiasts really noticed it.

Don't not wear it because you're worried what other people think. As long as you're not purposely showing it off I don't see the issue; anyone who does have an issue is just jealous frankly.

It's your attitude which people will judge you by, not what watch you wear. However if you're shoving it in people's faces all the time then you'll probably come across as being arrogant and disliked for it.
id avoid you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending