The Student Room Group

Public law help

Assume that the Scottish Government has introduced the Alcohol Control (Scotland) Bill into the Scottish Parliament. Amongst other things, the Bill empowers local authorities: first, to raise a tax on the sale of alcohol in their local authority area; and, second, to make byelaws banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays and on Christian religious holidays (such as Easter and Christmas). The Bill proves highly controversial.
You are asked to do to following:
1. Advise the Parliament’s Presiding Officer as to whether he should certify that the Bill (in whole or in part) is within or outwith the Parliament’s legislative competence, and advise as to the implications of granting a negative or positive certificate
(edited 5 years ago)
There's no question here.

And most of us didn't do Scots law.
Reply 2
The question is whether or not it is within Scottish governments competence to do so and why/why not they’re able to do so
Original post by Emmasmith38
The question is whether or not it is within Scottish governments competence to do so and why/why not they’re able to do so

That question is to you; what's your question to us? "Do this for me, plz?"
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
That question is to you; what's your question to us? "Do this for me, plz?"

There is no need to be cheeky and rude. I am stuck answering a part of a question and do not understand if it is within Scotland's devolved legislative power to raise tax on alcohol or not. In future don't waste your own time or other peoples time by being rude and unhelpful. This is a website designed for people to ask for help regarding there studies if they need it. I am not asking for someone to do the question for me but for help as I am confused by the question.
There is no need to be cheeky and rude. I am stuck answering a part of a question and do not understand if it is within Scotland's devolved legislative power to raise tax on alcohol or not. In future don't waste your own time or other peoples time by being rude and unhelpful. This is a website designed for people to ask for help regarding there studies if they need it. I am not asking for someone to do the question for me but for help as I am confused by the question.

In future, don't waste your time asking people to do your work, you lazy so-and-so.

Have a nice day.
Reply 6
Assume that the Scottish Government has introduced the Alcohol Control (Scotland) Bill into the Scottish Parliament. Amongst other things, the Bill empowers local authorities: first, to raise a tax on the sale of alcohol in their local authority area; and, second, to make byelaws banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays and on Christian religious holidays (such as Easter and Christmas). The Bill proves highly controversial.
You are asked to do to following:
1. Advise the Parliament’s Presiding Officer as to whether he should certify that the Bill (in whole or in part) is within or outwith the Parliament’s legislative competence, and advise as to the implications of granting a negative or positive certificate

Okay, so have a look at whether Scotland has devolved powers in raising a tax on alcohol. If so, they could use this to influence social policy or social attitudes on alcohol consumption. However, if influencing policy is their primary aim would the Scottish Government be able to do this through an introduction of bylaws with regard to the sale of alcohol on religious holidays or would that be a reserved power of Parliament as a constitutional matter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending