The Student Room Group

Doing law at university

Hi everyone! I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and I was wondering if there are any useful extra curricular to do over the summer? I have a range of law books for wider reading but I was also thinking of any online courses that might be available?
Reply 1
Check out Forage, Springpod and InvestIN!
Reply 2
Check Out Springwood
Also I used to go into local county courts at your age/stage just to sit at the back and listen in - most courts are open to the public and it can be quite interesting.
Original post by Aleeza857
Hi everyone! I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and I was wondering if there are any useful extra curricular to do over the summer? I have a range of law books for wider reading but I was also thinking of any online courses that might be available?

Hi @Aleeza857!

I would recommend going into either the Crown or Family Court and sitting in the public gallery to listen to some cases. Most courts allow members of the public to witness cases and this is a really good way of learning some tips on advocacy as well as the way in which cases work within a court room. I would also look into emailing some firms/ chambers to see if they allow school students to have work experience with them. Gaining work experience is not only a great CV booster but it will really help you in finding out whether a career in law is for you. Even if there is nothing advertised on the firm's website I would still recommend emailing (you never know until you ask!) Also, for a quick and easy way to stay up to date with topical law, I would recommend listening to certain podcasts such as Law In Action (you can access this on Spotify and BBC 4).

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie :smile:
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Reply 5
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Aleeza857!

I would recommend going into either the Crown or Family Court and sitting in the public gallery to listen to some cases. Most courts allow members of the public to witness cases and this is a really good way of learning some tips on advocacy as well as the way in which cases work within a court room. I would also look into emailing some firms/ chambers to see if they allow school students to have work experience with them. Gaining work experience is not only a great CV booster but it will really help you in finding out whether a career in law is for you. Even if there is nothing advertised on the firm's website I would still recommend emailing (you never know until you ask!) Also, for a quick and easy way to stay up to date with topical law, I would recommend listening to certain podcasts such as Law In Action (you can access this on Spotify and BBC 4).

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie :smile:
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Thanks so much, I've really appreciated the time you've taken to answer my question! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending