The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances.

So in 2017, my brother was diagnosed with a mental illness (mania) and sectioned a few months prior to my GCSE examinations─ He was doing drugs and partying constantly. Naturally, the situation at home wasn't very good. I myself started to feel depressed following what happened and my mother wasn't doing so well . I had lost motivation to do work and the environment at home was grim. But i kept going... However, around April/May he was released and moved back in. He came back on medications such as anti-depressants and sleeping pills and so he drifted into this phase of depression and staying in the room all the time, in the dark. At the time, I shared a room with him but couldn't say anything since I felt sorry for my brother and it was taboo to talk about such things in my family which was very religious. I remember in May, going into exams feeling depressed and not revising as much as I should have.

I was a student predicted Straight A*s/8s and 9s but I ended up achieving 8,7,7,a*,a,a,a,a,b,b which isn't bad, however, any hopes of getting into medical schools such as Oxford or Birmingham have been shattered.

I feel as though my performance was not representative of what I could have achieved, and I'm not sure if this counts as an extenuating circumstance─ i can provide all the evidence needed.

It's a situation which carries on even until this day, my brother was sectioned once again in April.

Any information on how extenuating circumstances work would be valued.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by medapplicant2019
So in 2017, my brother was diagnosed with a mental illness (mania) and sectioned a few months prior to my GCSE examinations─ He was doing drugs and partying constantly. Naturally, the situation at home wasn't very good. I myself started to feel depressed following what happened and my mother wasn't doing so well . I had lost motivation to do work and the environment at home was grim. But i kept going... However, around April/May he was released and moved back in. He came back on medications such as anti-depressants and sleeping pills and so he drifted into this phase of depression and staying in the room all the time, in the dark. At the time, I shared a room with him but couldn't say anything since I felt sorry for my brother and it was taboo to talk about such things in my family which was very religious. I remember in May, going into exams feeling depressed and not revising as much as I should have.

I was a student predicted Straight A*s/8s and 9s but I ended up achieving 8,7,7,a*,a,a,a,a,b,b which isn't bad, however, any hopes of getting into medical schools such as Oxford or Birmingham have been shattered.

I feel as though my performance was not representative of what I could have achieved, and I'm not sure if this counts as an extenuating circumstance─ i can provide all the evidence needed.

It's a situation which carries on even until this day, my brother was sectioned once again in April.

Thank you.

Hey, I'm not sure how extenuating circumstances work but i'll bump the thread, congrats on your results- you did so well to get the results you did in those circumstances. GOOD LUCK!
Thank you very much
Reply 3
Original post by medapplicant2019

Thank you.

Cambridge does not mind how you do in GCSEs if there is a good reason
(edited 5 years ago)
The medical school you go to, at the end of the day, doesn't matter that much as everyone comes out with the same degree and all will be working for the NHS. No one really cares where you studied. There are a lot of other good medical schools which are still in your reach(Cambridge is still possible as they aren't as GCSE heavy).
I'm not sure about the extentuating circumstances, it may be worth talking to your school concerning this?
Reply 5
Original post by TCL
Cambridge does not mind how you do in GCSEs if there is a good reason

Tried to edit to tell you that a Cambridge Admissions Tutor is running a thread at the moment - run your situation past him if you are interested in Cambridge.
Reply 6
From what I know, universities don't really care about your GCSEs if your A-Levels are good and you have good extra-curriculars and are genuinely passionate about the subject.
Reply 7
It is accepted that difficult personal circumstances can affect the performance of students in examinations. However, you will need medical evidence to support the notion that your family circumstances could have adversely affected your performance in an examination. The best way of getting this is to see your GP and ask if he can help with writing you a medical letter that you can send to the medical schools. Details can also be added (in confidence) by your referee on the UCAS application form. I have known them to take such factors into account during interview performance but I do not know how each university will react to your situation at the point of application. Worst case scenario is that they will insist that you meet the minimum entry requirements. I would contact them and make some enquires before you put your application in. Hope this helps.

Blue Peanut Medical

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending