The Student Room Group

Have a few days to decide A-Levels

My GCSE results day is coming up soon and I have yet to decide on my last 2 A-levels. My first is definitely maths as I want to take maths at university and go onto a finance related job, however for the remaining 2 A-levels I need to pick from Further maths, chemistry, physics and economics. Any of them would be helpful but I'm not sure I would like economics as I am not a fan of essay writing and further maths might make my choices too narrow if I do change my mind and after-all it isn't required by the university I plan to go to. Any help would be appreciated as to what combination I should do. I don't think doing 4 A-levels would help me and would only make my grades worse in the end.

Scroll to see replies

if you intend studying Maths at university take Further Maths. The third option depends on what else you might take. Physics for some engineering courses and Chemistry if yo may wish to study Chemical Engineering. For a Maths degree it wont matter.
Original post by swanseajack1
if you intend studying Maths at university take Further Maths. The third option depends on what else you might take. Physics for some engineering courses and Chemistry if yo may wish to study Chemical Engineering. For a Maths degree it wont matter.

Would taking two maths subjects limit my options if I change my mind?
I would take further maths then choose something you enjoy for the third, you need further maths for most good unis tbh, or at least to be equal to other applicants, plus one other good a level that you enjoyed will help put you in a good position.
Original post by Unscrewed_Up
I would take further maths then choose something you enjoy for the third, you need further maths for most good unis tbh, or at least to be equal to other applicants, plus one other good a level that you enjoyed will help put you in a good position.

If I want to have a career in finance would it be viable to take economics or does it really not have any affect.
If you want to go into a finance-related job, I guess it wouldn't hurt at all to do economics? But if its a little too 'mathsy', I suggest Physics; I'm dying learning Chemistry for A Levels at the moment...
Original post by PotatoSpud64
If I want to have a career in finance would it be viable to take economics or does it really not have any affect.

It would definitely be helpful and it’s a complimentary subject to maths. But then you must be sure that you want a mathsy job.
Original post by EnglishKoreanman
If you want to go into a finance-related job, I guess it wouldn't hurt at all to do economics? But if its a little too 'mathsy', I suggest Physics; I'm dying learning Chemistry for A Levels at the moment...

So if I took Maths, chemistry, physics would I have less of an impact on a maths degree or finance career than if I chose maths, further maths and economics. I'm not sure I would enjoy economics.
So if I took Maths, chemistry, physics would I have less of an impact on a maths degree or finance career than if I chose maths, further maths and economics. I'm not sure I would enjoy economics.

I'm 80% sure all you need for a maths degree is Maths and Further Maths, and so if Econ will make your time studying A Levels unhappy, and therefore will affect your grades, you're much better off choosing the sciences (I suggest Physics again, but Chemistry isn't uninteresting or anything, people who take both seem to find Physics a little easier!).
Original post by EnglishKoreanman
I'm 80% sure all you need for a maths degree is Maths and Further Maths, and so if Econ will make your time studying A Levels unhappy, and therefore will affect your grades, you're much better off choosing the sciences (I suggest Physics again, but Chemistry isn't uninteresting or anything, people who take both seem to find Physics a little easier!).

Alright I might just do that since economics definitely isn't my strong suit and it isn't required by any degrees.
Alright I might just do that since economics definitely isn't my strong suit and it isn't required by any degrees.

Sure, whatever makes you happy! A Levels will be really difficult unless it's subjects you are confident you like.
Why not do maths, physics and chemistry? You could do a maths degree if you wanted to but if you changed your mind you could do a chemistry or physics degree cause you have 2 science subjects plus maths.
Original post by madmirrors
Why not do maths, physics and chemistry? You could do a maths degree if you wanted to but if you changed your mind you could do a chemistry or physics degree cause you have 2 science subjects plus maths.

I do think that those options would be the most enjoyable for me however I'm just curious if it will affect my ability to get into a maths degree if I don't take further maths. Or my ability to get into a finance career if I don't take economics. Would it really not make a difference if I did the subjects you mentioned? (I might even get better grades tbh)
Reply 13
I'd suggest that you take Maths, Further Maths and Physics, it opens many places for engineering, Maths and economics degrees. If you'd like to take chemistry for chemical engineering or perhaps do a scientific degree.
Reply 14
I do think that those options would be the most enjoyable for me however I'm just curious if it will affect my ability to get into a maths degree if I don't take further maths. Or my ability to get into a finance career if I don't take economics. Would it really not make a difference if I did the subjects you mentioned? (I might even get better grades tbh)

Having economics A level isn't a requirement, it's just preferred.

I don't know if it'll affect you doing economics as a degree. If you want to know if an economics or a maths degree will accept you with your A level choices, go on university websites under courses and check their entry requirements. Science degrees like biology or chemistry generally require 2 science A levels.
Original post by madmirrors
I don't know if it'll affect you doing economics as a degree. If you want to know if an economics or a maths degree will accept you with your A level choices, go on university websites under courses and check their entry requirements. Science degrees like biology or chemistry generally require 2 science A levels.

I do see where your coming from as further maths isn't required for a maths degree whereas 2 science A-levels are for a science degree so that might be the best option to expand my options.
I do see where your coming from as further maths isn't required for a maths degree whereas 2 science A-levels are for a science degree so that might be the best option to expand my options.

Good :smile: As long as a science or maths degree is what you want to do.
My GCSE results day is coming up soon and I have yet to decide on my last 2 A-levels. My first is definitely maths as I want to take maths at university and go onto a finance related job, however for the remaining 2 A-levels I need to pick from Further maths, chemistry, physics and economics. Any of them would be helpful but I'm not sure I would like economics as I am not a fan of essay writing and further maths might make my choices too narrow if I do change my mind and after-all it isn't required by the university I plan to go to. Any help would be appreciated as to what combination I should do. I don't think doing 4 A-levels would help me and would only make my grades worse in the end.

Hi,

You seem unsure so here's my advice ask if you can do 4 A-levels in the first term to see which a levels you like and then drop the one you are not enjoying or find too difficult(this might be the case with Further maths some people in my class dropped Further Maths within the first term)
I think you should choose Maths,Physics,further maths and chemistry/economics at first.
with maths,physics and further maths you can do maths,physics,engineering,anything finance related and much more

-A student that takes the subjects mentioned above
Would taking two maths subjects limit my options if I change my mind?

yes in some cases say medicine or similar. No for engineering, economics, accountancy, finance or computer science

Quick Reply

Latest