The Student Room Group

GDL as a career change

I am considering the GDL and have offers based on my 2.1 from a low ranking uni and my professional qualification (Chartered Surveyor, 20 yrs). I have worked in private practice and held a senior role in a leading global organisation. My A-levels were absolutely shite and I am not being coy, they were ridiculously bad (D, D, N) and I have no mitigating circumstances other than being complete waster at the time. I am no spring chicken (45). Should I do the GDL and pursue my dream career as a barrister? Or is it not worth the risk...?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by nutrient
I am considering the GDL and have offers based on my 2.1 from a low ranking uni and my professional qualification (Chartered Surveyor, 20 yrs). I have worked in private practice and held a senior role in a leading global organisation. My A-levels were absolutely shite and I am not being coy, they were ridiculously bad (D, D, N) and I have no mitigating circumstances other than being complete waster at the time. I am no spring chicken (45). Should I do the GDL and pursue my dream career as a barrister? Or is it not worth the risk...?

If it is your dream then I would say it is always worth pursuing! You do have to remember though that after your GDL you’ll need to successfully complete a BPTC. Without a distinction in your BPTC it can be hard to obtain a pupillage which you need to complete to gain your practising certificate. It is a difficult profession to break in to but I think passion is always a huge strength and would always count in your favour!
Reply 2
Original post by ruthflame57
If it is your dream then I would say it is always worth pursuing! You do have to remember though that after your GDL you’ll need to successfully complete a BPTC. Without a distinction in your BPTC it can be hard to obtain a pupillage which you need to complete to gain your practising certificate. It is a difficult profession to break in to but I think passion is always a huge strength and would always count in your favour!

Thank you for your support and advice. Thankfully, I think I am finally mature enough to put in the hard graft!
Reply 3
Depends on the area you want to practice. Commercial areas require evidence of an academic mind, like construction, and covering contract/business law, they don’t care what uni it was but yes you need a first at undergraduate OR a distinction in the GDL/BPTC. Or do a masters and get a distinction... get experience like mooting. Do some mini pupillage’s. As a chartered surveyor you’d grasp construction commercially but you need to pass that paper sifting exercise that looks for academic excellence. They would rule you out with your current grades so you need to show them in the legal courses that you are highly academic with a distinction somewhere like the GDL.

For areas like crime or family your degree classification will suffice and most have 2:1 with a high GDL grade. There are a surprising amount of judges and barristers with 2:2 and reasons for it. Watch the Target jobs pupillage fair talks on YouTube. Different practice areas are discussed and the barristers themselves talk about what grades they had and what you need aswell.
Reply 4
Thanks, that's very helpful and encouraging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending