The Student Room Group

My interests - thoughts?

Hi all, I am finding that I am becoming quite interested in philosophy, psychology and law. I finished my A-Levels this year and I'm taking a gap year, thinking of the options I have.

There are Phil, Poli, Law degrees that look decent, also Warwick does Econ, Psych, Phil...

I'm pretty sure I want to go into a career of law, although there are doubts about that but it seems to be the most appealing at the moment. And I understand a law degree isn't needed to do this, I just think the degree generally will suit me and I find it interesting anyway.

Honestly, if 'Law and Philosophy' degrees were available I'd probably do that, but there aren't, and I don't like the idea of doing a tripartite degree -- I just want to hone in my studies on one or two areas.

Thoughts on what to do? I know Royal Holloway does one, so does Liverpool, but both universities don't really appeal to me
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all, I am finding that I am becoming quite interested in philosophy, psychology and law. I finished my A-Levels this year and I'm taking a gap year, thinking of the options I have.

There are Phil, Poli, Law degrees that look decent, also Warwick does Econ, Psych, Phil...

I'm pretty sure I want to go into a career of law, although there are doubts about that but it seems to be the most appealing at the moment. And I understand a law degree isn't needed to do this, I just think the degree generally will suit me and I find it interesting anyway.

Honestly, if 'Law and Philosophy' degrees were available I'd probably do that, but there aren't, and I don't like the idea of doing a tripartite degree -- I just want to hone in my studies on one or two areas.

Thoughts on what to do? I know Royal Holloway does one, so does Liverpool, but both universities don't really appeal to me

Hi there,

Let me know if you would like to know anything more about Liverpool or the University!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

My advice to those who are interested in a career in a law but are interested in studying another subject at degree level is, providing finances aren't an issue, to study the other subject first and then do the GDL. You may well be right that you will enjoy studying law, but a law degree is very different to actually practising law. Plenty of lawyers who enjoy their job and also studied law would study something different first if they were to take that decision again (and I'm one of them). Even if you do end up enjoying studying law, if you are drawn to that career you have to do the GDL anyway, so you'll be studying law at some point in your future. But it's harder to study something else after studying law, so I'd target the other interest (or one of them) first at undergraduate, and then convert to law later.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
My advice to those who are interested in a career in a law but are interested in studying another subject at degree level is, providing finances aren't an issue, to study the other subject first and then do the GDL. You may well be right that you will enjoy studying law, but a law degree is very different to actually practising law. Plenty of lawyers who enjoy their job and also studied law would study something different first if they were to take that decision again (and I'm one of them). Even if you do end up enjoying studying law, if you are drawn to that career you have to do the GDL anyway, so you'll be studying law at some point in your future. But it's harder to study something else after studying law, so I'd target the other interest (or one of them) first at undergraduate, and then convert to law later.

Why do you have to do GDL after an LLB?
Why do you have to do GDL after an LLB?

You don't. You only do the GDL if you study something other than law at undergraduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending