The Student Room Group

What age would you allow your kids to have a phone and/or social media?

Poll

What age would you allow your kids to have a phone and/or social media?

I’d say 11/12 for a phone for when they go to high school as they’d need it but social media would be 15 lol

Scroll to see replies

Whenever they need it.
So if they walk home/ take the bus home from quite a young age then then.
Social media- up to them. Probably 13 or so
Once they start secondary school, definitely a phone. Lots of kids use public transport for school journeys, so I think they are a must.
Social media, depends on the parent, but supervised.
About 11 for phone bc secondary school, 12 social media bc they will get it anyway
Most likely 13 but their usage would be heavily monitored and filtered.
really when they are old enough for tattoos/piercings.... so 10

:rofl:
But for how long would you do that for? As you mentioned parental protection which usually means parental controls installed.
Original post by kiki213
I’d say 11/12 for a phone for when they go to high school as they’d need it but social media would be 15 lol

Why 15 specifically for social media?
Reply 8
Original post by Iahmed512
Why 15 specifically for social media?

Because 12-14 is too going imo. 15/16 teens tend to be more mature and by then they’re doing their GCSEs so social media / phones would be taken away as they’re a distraction. If I had my way completely they would only be allowed to use it to message close friends and family or not have it all.
Reply 9
Depends on the kids I don't beileve in enforcing one rule on all children I think each person should be dealt with differently...
8 years old for a mobile phone, non- smartphone. Same as me.
13 or 14 for social media, only accessed on a computer with no web cam- probably subject to parental controls.
Original post by kiki213
Because 12-14 is too going imo. 15/16 teens tend to be more mature and by then they’re doing their GCSEs so social media / phones would be taken away as they’re a distraction. If I had my way completely they would only be allowed to use it to message close friends and family or not have it all.

I see, fair enough but it would be a bit pointless having social media to only talk to people though, like there's no point having instagram to only message people as you can use WhatsApp and text messaging for that.
Even though I'm not op, I think the responses have been quite interesting which raises another question of wether the use of phones and the Internet should be restricted or monitored as quite a few people have said it should.
I got a phone when I started year 7. It was not a smart phone, just one I could text and call on. I didn't get my first smart phone until I was about 13ish and even then no social media, It just allowed me to take more pictures and Google stuff. I didn't really start social media until I was about 16/17.

I liked it like that so I think I'll do that for my kids if I have any.
My son is 7 he watches youtube if that counts? Regarding a phone Id say when he starts senior school so 11/12. As for social media... never!
In terms of social media I think it depends on what type.
You should consider that most children are on Instagram and snapchat, but I for example chose not to use them because I think it’s pointless, however I know that it does mean I will miss out on some things, I just don’t really care.
In my opinion, things like WhatsApp and messages are essential to have a social life so maybe those would be a bit earlier.
Not many would agree with me on this but I think Facebook is a pretty good starting social media app (or Twitter) because they’re less widely used and still allow sharing photos and contacting friends.
As your child gets older maybe talk to them about it, finding out what exactly they want and figuring out what’s both fair and sensible.
Reply 17
my nephew had a tablet at 5, was on facebook at 7, and had a smartphone at 8

[I can't remember what age he got a laptop..]
Yeah true, that makes sense and is fair.
definitely 10+ but the exact age depends on when I feel they are prepared, obviously I will teach them what to do, what to avoid etc.

Quick Reply

Latest