The Student Room Group

Does AS result affect Cambridge Application?

I got a B for AS computing, I don't really like the subject so it doesn't bother me that much, but will it affect Oxbridge applications? I'm predicted As for maths, further maths, and physics and I have 8 A*s for GCSE including maths, english,physics, chemistry and biology.
Original post by Anon1244
I got a B for AS computing, I don't really like the subject so it doesn't bother me that much, but will it affect Oxbridge applications? I'm predicted As for maths, further maths, and physics and I have 8 A*s for GCSE including maths, english,physics, chemistry and biology.

Moved this to the Cambridge forum :smile:
What are you applying for?
You dont have too many A*s predicted, which might be an issue more than the B AS in Computing.
Original post by Interrobang
Moved this to the Cambridge forum :smile:

Why do I love your name so much‽
Reply 4
Sorry, I wrote As as shorthand for A*s, I want to apply to mathematics (pure)
Original post by SomMC1
What are you applying for?
You dont have too many A*s predicted, which might be an issue more than the B AS in Computing.

So A*A*A*
are you taking computing to Y13 or dropping it?
Same question except that i got and B in chemistry and i'm applying for natural sciences
Reply 7
Original post by SomMC1
So A*A*A*
are you taking computing to Y13 or dropping it?

Dropping
Original post by vivienne0402
Same question except that i got and B in chemistry and i'm applying for natural sciences

chemistry is a pretty core subject, in both physical and biological natsci. how did you do in ur other AS subjects? there's no harm in applying, and if you did really well in ur other subjects, the SAQ (an additional application form for cambridge where you input, amongst other things, your UMS AS marks) may demonstrate that you're really strong in other subjects and the chemistry mark was an anomaly.

but yes, AS results will factor quite heavily, as along with your interview, personal statement and predicted grades, it's all the admissions team have to go on.
Original post by julietlima3
chemistry is a pretty core subject, in both physical and biological natsci. how did you do in ur other AS subjects? there's no harm in applying, and if you did really well in ur other subjects, the SAQ (an additional application form for cambridge where you input, amongst other things, your UMS AS marks) may demonstrate that you're really strong in other subjects and the chemistry mark was an anomaly. but yes, AS results will factor quite heavily, as along with your interview, personal statement and predicted grades, it's all the admissions team have to go on.

I got 3A in Maths, Further Maths and Biology. wanna go for biological natsci. I am 2 marks away from getting an A in chem so I am getting the papers reviewed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10

All that matters for Cambridge (or Oxford) Maths is your maths. It's fine. :yy:
Wish I applied to Cambridge.
Reply 12

but yes, AS results will factor quite heavily, as along with your interview, personal statement and predicted grades, it's all the admissions team have to go on.

and the NSAA.

I got 3A in Maths, Further Maths and Biology. wanna go for biological natsci. I am 2 marks away from getting an A in chem so I am getting the papers reviewed.

It's definitely still worth applying. A small miss in one area can be made up by strengths elsewhere. :yy:
Reply 13
Original post by Doonesbury
All that matters for Cambridge (or Oxford) Maths is your maths. It's fine. :yy:

Nice, I'm still going to appeal the decision, but im not going to retake computing, it's such a **** A level, may as well be ICT 😂
and the NSAA.

It's definitely still worth applying. A small miss in one area can be made up by strengths elsewhere. :yy:

Thank you so much!!!

yeah definitely go for the remark, and regardless of what happens, it's worth giving it a shot. i don't know what a typical offcer for bio natsci looks like, but when i applied for Chemical engineering via Natsci in 2009, my offer was AAA with As in Maths and Chemistry. So it may be that they will be more interested in ur Maths and Biology marks

and the NSAA.

oops, forgot there were entrance exams now
Reply 16
yeah definitely go for the remark, and regardless of what happens, it's worth giving it a shot. i don't know what a typical offcer for bio natsci looks like, but when i applied for Chemical engineering via Natsci in 2009, my offer was AAA with As in Maths and Chemistry. So it may be that they will be more interested in ur Maths and Biology marks

Typical offer is now A*A*A, and yes they still like to specify subjects :yep:

oops, forgot there were entrance exams now

Yeah, introduced largely due to the removal of AS UMS :smile: - and many people no longer have AS-levels at all now.
Reply 17
Just hoping that I can get a conditional offer, so that I can be given the chance to prove myself through STEP 😁
Reply 18
Just hoping that I can get a conditional offer, so that I can be given the chance to prove myself through STEP 😁

Every chance, the offer rate is quite high because STEP is "quite hard"... :lol:
Reply 19
Every chance, the offer rate is quite high because STEP is "quite hard"... :lol:

Yh, at least it's more fair than the a level computing exam 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending