The Student Room Group

going into year 11

I have slightly higher than average grades but I am not achieving as well in maths an german. if I start revision as soon as get back (going into year 11) to school will my grades significantly improve or is it just too early to be panicking already lol.If anyone else started revising early or drastically improved there grades please can you tell me how it worked out for you and if you have any advice for me? Although I am not extrodinarily clever I am often high achieving and am usually not happy with a grade unless it is a 7 or above and get very stressed out over small tests and exams. Is it just me or did anyone else have the same problem?
Original post by smellaew
I have slightly higher than average grades but I am not achieving as well in maths an german. if I start revision as soon as get back (going into year 11) to school will my grades significantly improve or is it just too early to be panicking already lol.If anyone else started revising early or drastically improved there grades please can you tell me how it worked out for you and if you have any advice for me? Although I am not extrodinarily clever I am often high achieving and am usually not happy with a grade unless it is a 7 or above and get very stressed out over small tests and exams. Is it just me or did anyone else have the same problem?

What is it about the subjects you're struggling with? Is it the content or the exams in particular? :smile: Would love to help where I can
Original post by brainzistheword
What is it about the subjects you're struggling with? Is it the content or the exams in particular? :smile: Would love to help where I can

german i struggle with in particular, i put alot of work into it however not as much as other subjects which could be why but the language courses are so different from other subjects and require alot of extra work to be put in! prehaps all the talk of the new GCSEs and how hard they are is just making me nervous but im struggling to get my german to the same standard as other subjects i am taking
Original post by username4213938
german i struggle with in particular, i put alot of work into it however not as much as other subjects which could be why but the language courses are so different from other subjects and require alot of extra work to be put in! prehaps all the talk of the new GCSEs and how hard they are is just making me nervous but im struggling to get my german to the same standard as other subjects i am taking

Hmm okay...how are you currently studying/revising German, what methods do you use? :smile:

For Spanish I use memrise to learn all my vocab and it’s an absolute life saver. I’m sure there’s a German on. I just typed in AQA Spanish or something and it came up with the bacon list
Reply 5

I went from:

Biology- 5-
Chemistry- 6=
Physics- 5
Maths- 7-
English Language- 8
English Literature- 6=
Geography- 6=
Spanish- 5=
Design Graphics- A*

At the end of year 10 to the following in my mocks just before my final exams:

Biology- 8
Chemistry- 9=
Physics- 7
Maths- 9-
English Language- 9
English Literature- 9-
Geography- 9
Spanish- 7=
Design Graphics- A*

My results day is next Thursday.

I started revising Biology in the summer holidays as I was unhappy with my result. I used the CGP revision guide to go through every page and write any facts I didn’t know already well on a postit note. I stuck these up and took them down and replaced them after time. Then for Chemistry and Physics I repeated this process.

Maths, I used mrbartonmaths as there are past exam questions on all 300 topics. I did all of these and revised any gaps I had which plugged my knowledge.

Spanish, i just revised how to structure my answers.

But the most valuable advice would be to do past papers! It helps you to structure your answers in the Spanish writing and Geography papers. In science, you have to have VERY specific wording to get a mark. If you’ve done a similar question before or can remember exactly how it was worded in the revision guide, you’ll be able to get the mark. Also, revise the required practicals before the exam. There’s guaranteed to be one or two on there with big marks usually.

For english lit, revise quotations and watch mrbruffs analysis. His points are really good! For English language and english lit do practice papers. This will really help you with tight timing and answer structure. There’s a lot to get in!

Any questions just ask!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest