The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2019 University Applicants

Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where!

What are you currently studying:
What subject(s) are you applying for:
Which universities are you applying to:
Any other info you feel like sharing:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are you currently studying: Access to Social Sciences & Humanities
What subject(s) are you applying for: BA Japanese (and potentially history, world philosophies or Korean studies - can't make up my mind!)
Which universities are you applying to: SOAS
Reply 2
Best of luck to everyone applying this year. I have just gone through it all and cant wait to start Uni in September!
Reply 3
What are you currently studying: Access to Science
What subject(s) are you applying for: Occupational Therapy
Which universities are you applying to: Essex, Sheffield Hallam, UEA
What are you currently studying: Access to Psychology and Counselling from Sept
What subject(s) are you applying for: Criminology
Which universities are you applying to: Uni of Herts as its my local then others possibly York St John, ARU, Bath Spa....
Any other info you feel like sharing: Am impatient to start my access course and get on the road to uni!! lol
What are you currently studying: Interesting online courses and relearning maths. Probably A Levels again next year.
What subject(s) are you applying for: Psychology/Natural Sciences
Which universities are you applying to: Undecided.
Any other info you feel like sharing: This whole mature student thing is taking longer than I thought!
What are you currently studying: I'll be starting an Access Course in Health and Human Science next month
What subject(s) are you applying for: Nutrition & Dietetics
Which universities are you applying to: King's College, Surrey, Plymouth, Leeds and London Met.
Any other info you feel like sharing: Very nervous about starting my Access Course, I've read a lot of people saying that is a tough one and it's been a while since I finished high school. :s-smilie:
Original post by GianinaBL
What are you currently studying: I'll be starting an Access Course in Health and Human Science next month
What subject(s) are you applying for: Nutrition & Dietetics
Which universities are you applying to: King's College, Surrey, Plymouth, Leeds and London Met.
Any other info you feel like sharing: Very nervous about starting my Access Course, I've read a lot of people saying that is a tough one and it's been a while since I finished high school. :s-smilie:

It may be tough going but the time will fly.
The access course prepares you both academically and mentally for Uni, you will be fine I'm sure.
:youbetcha:
Reply 8
What are you currently studying:

Just finished GCSE Maths and English, already completed Access Science(biology, chemistry, psychology)

What subject(s) are you applying for:

Natural Science degree with focus on biochemical physics

Which universities are you applying to:

UEA, have been given a conditional offer based on GCSE grades of 4 in English and Maths.

Any other info you feel like sharing:

I am from South Louisiana, I am 44 years old, with no prior education, I didn't even graduate from high school. I've been a devoted Christian focused on heaven my whole life. I have recently let go of my religious background and now embrace science as the only reasonable way to unlock the mysteries of the universe. I'm going to finish my undergrad, then get a PhD in abiogenesis: researching the true origin of life.
What are you currently studying: Nothing formally. Just done the first year of an OU MA, not for me. Going over GCSE Maths again to refresh my knowledge and learning the A Level Biology syllabus in my spare time, but won't be doing any exams.
What subject(s) are you applying for: Adult Nursing
Which universities are you applying to: Swansea
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm nervous at the prospect of going through the whole UCAS rigmarole again, while balancing it with work (I'm an Emergency Medical Dispatcher working a lot of 12 hour shifts).
What are you currently studying: Starting my second year in an ACCESS Diploma in Foundation Studies: Biological/Biomedical Science at Belfast Met
What subject(s) are you applying for: Adult Nursing and Health Physiology / Healthcare Science - BSc (Hons)
Which universities are you applying to: Queen's University and Ulster
Any other info you feel like sharing: a bit afraid of the whole UCAS process.. also the Personal statement, I'm not really good at talking about myself or goals etc.
Original post by tinalouise0306
It may be tough going but the time will fly.
The access course prepares you both academically and mentally for Uni, you will be fine I'm sure.
:youbetcha:

Thanks for the encouragement! :smile:
Reply 12
What are you currently studying: Access to Higher Education: Allied Health Professions and Nursing (starting September)

What subject(s) are you applying for: Adult Nursing

Which universities are you applying to: Liverpool John Moores University, University of Liverpool, Edge Hill, University of Manchester and Kings College London
Any other info you feel like sharing: I am terrified of the application process, especially writing my Personal Statement. Also nervous that i'll struggle with my Access course whilst I try and balance the workload with a full time job!
What are you currently studying: Access to Higher Education, Humanities and Social Sciences pathway (start Sept 14th), TEFL course

What subject(s) are you applying for: Korean Studies

Which universities are you applying to: University of Sheffield

Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm worried how I'll cope with chronic illness and getting back to studying after a 10 year break... I'm also a little worried because I'm only applying to one university!!
Reply 14
Eeek what's an access course? Do unis like them if you don't quite meet the entry standards with your School grades alone?
Original post by L-M-T
Eeek what's an access course? Do unis like them if you don't quite meet the entry standards with your School grades alone?

If you don't have A Levels (or at the right grades required) Access courses give you the chance to do the equivalent to maybe 4 A Levels in a year to prepare you for what uni work will be like. Usually unis ask for Access courses if you're a mature student!
Reply 16
Original post by roseblackout
If you don't have A Levels (or at the right grades required) Access courses give you the chance to do the equivalent to maybe 4 A Levels in a year to prepare you for what uni work will be like. Usually unis ask for Access courses if you're a mature student!

I'm 21 and I was studying a different degree last year - dropped out to change to a completely different course (was in BA Arabic and going for BSC Nutrition and Dietetics). I do have A levels and I meet the overall required grade but just fall short by one grade in Chemistry. Is it worth me taking an access course or should I just gamble and see? I suppose it would be good for me to get back into the sciences before I start my degree.
Original post by L-M-T
I'm 21 and I was studying a different degree last year - dropped out to change to a completely different course (was in BA Arabic and going for BSC Nutrition and Dietetics). I do have A levels and I meet the overall required grade but just fall short by one grade in Chemistry. Is it worth me taking an access course or should I just gamble and see? I suppose it would be good for me to get back into the sciences before I start my degree.

You're the same age as me! And yes that's quite different. Personally I would take chemistry again because there wouldn't be any point in doing all of the sciences again. However, if you want to brush up on your knowledge before starting the degree it would be a good starting point. It's always good to be prepared :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by roseblackout
You're the same age as me! And yes that's quite different. Personally I would take chemistry again because there wouldn't be any point in doing all of the sciences again. However, if you want to brush up on your knowledge before starting the degree it would be a good starting point. It's always good to be prepared :smile:

I think I'd rather take all the sciences but will that matter to the unis if I do the access course instead of retaking?
Original post by L-M-T
I think I'd rather take all the sciences but will that matter to the unis if I do the access course instead of retaking?

It shouldn't matter to them as long as you still get the required amount of distinctions/merits that they ask for re: the access course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending