The Student Room Group

Front line met police won’t get spitguards

Scroll to see replies

Good.

There is no crisis of police officers getting spat at, and they've managed for centuries without spitguards.

If a police officer is spat on every so often, what does it actually matter? If a police officer is bitten etc., that is already illegal and the arrestee will be in deep **** for that alone.

Most police officers, I have no doubt, are great people and would not abuse their powers. But it still isn't rare to hear stories about some police officers being petty and abusing their powers to harass people they don't like, and therefore making this kind of degradation a routine response is not something we want to do.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Good.

There is no crisis of police officers getting spat at, and they've managed for centuries without spitguards.

If a police officer is spat on every so often, what does it actually matter? If a police officer is bitten etc., that is already illegal and the arrestee will be in deep **** for that alone.

Most police officers, I have no doubt, are great people and would not abuse their powers. But it still isn't rare to hear stories about some police officers being petty and abusing their powers to harass people they don't like, and therefore making this kind of degradation a routine response is not something we want to do.

If a suspect is vile enough to spit, then the police should be able to protect themselves.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Good.

You saying why does it matter if a police officer is spat on disgusts me. Of course it matters, spitting is a horrid thing and can spread things like TB. our brave officers need protecting from this.
Spit hoods are not needed. Aside from carrying a very low pathogen risk, being spat on does no harm.
Original post by Sulfolobus
Spit hoods are not needed. Aside from carrying a very low pathogen risk, being spat on does no harm.

It’s also to stop officers being bitten, plus shouldn’t they be able to protect themselves being spat on. It’s disgusting.
They can soon manage without them, it's not like being spat at impedes their ability to do the job much. Bites of course would do, but then if you only put it on somebody when they've already attempted to bite you that sort of defeats the point, and if you do it before any attempt is made then it's quite unfair.

They just feel like the sort of thing that aren't worth a universal rollout.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
They can soon manage without them, it's not like being spat at impedes their ability to do the job much. Bites of course would do, but then if you only put it on somebody when they've already attempted to bite you that sort of defeats the point, and if you do it before any attempt is made then it's quite unfair.

They just feel like the sort of thing that aren't worth a universal rollout.

If they have tried to bite once, they can easily try it again. Spitting can spread some nasty diseases, the police deserve this protection.
Being in a position to do so, the so-called civil liberties groups hold the upper hand and make it count. That's all.
Original post by Andrew97
If they have tried to bite once, they can easily try it again. Spitting can spread some nasty diseases, the police deserve this protection.

If a copper gets bit or has somebody attempt to bite him do you honestly think he's going to let the offender put themselves in a position where they might try again? With regards to disease spread, that's already been answered by somebody:
Aside from carrying a very low pathogen risk

It's probably nice for them to have a little bit of added security, but spit guards are in no way a necessity.
If a copper gets bit or has somebody attempt to bite him do you honestly think he's going to let the offender put themselves in a position where they might try again? With regards to disease spread, that's already been answered by somebody:

It's probably nice for them to have a little bit of added security, but spit guards are in no way a necessity.

The police should at least get a choice though, met police won’t with this story.

The spit guard will make sure the crook can’t do anything.
It’s also to stop officers being bitten,

I would assume preventing someone from biting is best managed with restraint technique.

plus shouldn’t they be able to protect themselves being spat on. It’s disgusting.

It's part of the job. I worked in a rough pub and was spat at several times. The power of spitting comes purely from the reaction it gets out of people, so you don't react to it.

I like to think our brave police officers have the emotional fortitude to deal with a gob of saliva.
I would assume preventing someone from biting is best managed with restraint technique.

It's part of the job. I worked in a rough pub and was spat at several times. The power of spitting comes purely from the reaction it gets out of people, so you don't react to it.

I like to think our brave police officers have the emotional fortitude to deal with a gob of saliva.

A spit guard would be part of that technique.

Spit can carry diseases, when the police arrest a suspect they have no idea what they are taken or what they might have disease wise, they thus need the extra protection. It’s that or taser them. Being spat at is not part of the job. The police should have the tools in their locker to stop them from this threat,
(edited 5 years ago)

The problem is that it is the police in the streets who seem to think there is, anyone can say there is no need for them from the safety of home.

Really, why do you think they call for it?

And your problem with the hood is that it is demeaning or stressful for a person who may spit at them, is that right?
The police should at least get a choice though, met police won’t with this story.

The spit guard will make sure the crook can’t do anything.

Firstly, at the point of arrrest you are not a 'crook'.

Secondly, the police deal with lots of people who are not accused of crimes, specifically those with mental health problems.

Thirdly, is there any actual evidence of this being any more than slightly unpleasant?
Reply 16

looks like something out of a hunger games movie. Need not be normalised.
Original post by mojojojo101
Firstly, at the point of arrrest you are not a 'crook'.

Secondly, the police deal with lots of people who are not accused of crimes, specifically those with mental health problems.

Thirdly, is there any actual evidence of this being any more than slightly unpleasant?

If you start spitting at the police then you are a crook, spitting is a form of assault. The spit guard should at least be a choice, I’m not saying it should be used in all arrests. Spitting can spread disease, the chances might be low but it can happen.
Original post by Truths

Don’t spit at the police then.
looks like something out of a hunger games movie. Need not be normalised.
If they spit or bite they should be tasered.

Problem solved.👍😀
The best spitguard is a truncheon. Only a few need to lose their teeth before word gets around. Problem solved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending