The Student Room Group

What is an extended literature review?

I'm thinking of dissertation ideas and someone at a university talk mentioned writing an extended lit review but I didn't get a chance to ask her what she meant by this
sooooo, can any of you guys help me out?

Thanks xox
Original post by AHC25
I'm thinking of dissertation ideas and someone at a university talk mentioned writing an extended lit review but I didn't get a chance to ask her what she meant by this
sooooo, can any of you guys help me out?

Thanks xox

I could be wrong, but I think it might be a dissertation that does not include the use of primary data collection. Instead of conducting your own research your dissertation is in essence an extended review of the available literature on your chosen topic. As such, you are only using secondary sources, i.e. books, journals, etc, to answer your central research question.

You may want to seek clarification from the module leader though as there may be a requirement that primary data is collected. This usually depends on the length of your dissertation though. Do you know what the specified word count is?

Someone feel free to correct me if this is not the correct understanding of an extended literature review.
Reply 2
Original post by NetworkProblem
I could be wrong, but I think it might be a dissertation that does not include the use of primary data collection. Instead of conducting your own research your dissertation is in essence an extended review of the available literature on your chosen topic. As such, you are only using secondary sources, i.e. books, journals, etc, to answer your central research question.

You may want to seek clarification from the module leader though as there may be a requirement that primary data is collected. This usually depends on the length of your dissertation though. Do you know what the specified word count is?

Someone feel free to correct me if this is not the correct understanding of an extended literature review.

Ooh good, if you're right then that's exactly what I wanted to hear! My diss is a shortened version [6000 words] as I am taking an extra module! But yes I will definitely check with my module leader when she's back off summer leave :-)
Reply 3
A lit review is a summary and critique of the current literature on your topic where you can suggest new areas to look at or put forward a new hypothesis in an area :smile:
Original post by NetworkProblem

That's my general understanding as well, essentially a, very, long literature review.

I know someone who did a extended lit review for their dissertation as, while they had a topic, they had trouble obtaining data and chose instead to research what had been written before, identify areas of weakness/different routes and put together research questions that had, as far as they were aware, not been answered from previous research.
Reply 5
Original post by lilGem
A lit review is a summary and critique of the current literature on your topic where you can suggest new areas to look at or put forward a new hypothesis in an area :smile:

Original post by Salostar
That's my general understanding as well, essentially a, very, long literature review.

I know someone who did a extended lit review for their dissertation as, while they had a topic, they had trouble obtaining data and chose instead to research what had been written before, identify areas of weakness/different routes and put together research questions that had, as far as they were aware, not been answered from previous research.

Ahh okay that sounds good, thanks for your help guys!! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending