The Student Room Group

A Level Advice?

Any students or previous students of A-Levels who can give me any tips? Any advice on how to study effectively, how college life works, etc... !
Reply 1
Honestly just make sure you keep on top of things. It can all very easily slip away from your hands and you’ll lose control. I suggest going over your notes at the end of the week - whether this means rewriting or simply reading them again so you fully understand it. Never hesitate to ask your teacher anything if you don’t understand it; you an ask them after class or even by email. Remember there are usually support sessions that are available for you to attend if you need help - these are very useful.

A levels are probably the worst thing you’ll go through but all you have to do is stay focused and organised for the next 2 years.

Oh also don’t leave revision too late like i did. By christmas you must be going over your notes/making flash cards/mind maps/etc whatever works for you
Original post by Jennyjet83
Any students or previous students of A-Levels who can give me any tips? Any advice on how to study effectively, how college life works, etc... !

Condense your notes from the start and revise as you go along.
Reply 3
Rewrite, condense, mind maps, flash cards. Just keep on top of everything and make use of every free period you have, even if you do a tiny bit its still better than nothing. If you're unsure what to take, pick subjects that cross over, like English and Sociology, or multiple sciences.

Keep your head down and graft!! Best of luck to you
What subjects are you taking?
I know you've probably heard this time and time again, but it's going to be a lot of work, regardless of which subjects you're taking. Keep on top of homework and deadlines, you'll thank yourself for that later, and regularly revise even if you don't have upcoming tests. That could be reviewing notes or doing practice papers, again depending on the subject and also just personal preference I guess. It's a lot to handle sometimes, but just keep reminding yourself that it'll all be worth it when you open that envelope and see the best results you could have gotten.
Reply 5
I’m doing English Literature, Media, Business and Psychology!
Couldn't have said it better than everyone else, I am currently going into year 13 (And lost all my motivation to even want to go back), and staying on top of the work you have done in the week, as well as the work upcoming in the next week, is the BEST thing you can do to keep yourself on track and to keep a healthy mental state. Without keeping on top of your work, you can end up falling behind and the last thing you need is the stress of not knowing a topic because you decided that one day you took off school isn't going to matter in the long run.

Additionally, get your hands on ALL the exam material you can that is available to you through teachers, friends, research and so on.. This will be extremely helpful, especially for subjects such as Psychology and Business.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.
Hi there. The most important thing is to remember to keep yourself motivated throughout the year. Challenging, but when you are struggling with the content ask your teachers for help and ask classmates. When you are struggling with personal problems or life talk to your friends and get support. When you struggle to get out of bed remember the purpose of your study, job career happiness etc. Finally go over work and content and revise when you can with breaks and leisure time. All the best.
Original post by DrawTheLine

I strongly agree. Condense your notes as you go so that you have everything you need as small as possible for your exams. Saves you a hell of a lot of time before exams and means you can go over stuff multiple times and more quickly!
look honestly speaking I'm going into y13 and ill just say GO OVER YOUR NOTES. the easiest thing to keep on top is every day after school go over your notes and just refresh your memory with the new content. it will make it a lot easier during revision cos you'll be familiar with the content. enjoy y12 honestly but just make sure you do okay in your end of year tests. good luck x
p.s - exam papers are really really useful. any more qs just simply ask me x
Original post by DrawTheLine

sounds petty, but i'd replace condense with consolidate. you dont want to be losing important frills that can help paint the picture of the point you need to understand, but you should start to piece together all of the disparate important bits (and remove anything clearly unnecessary)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending