The Student Room Group

A levels

Hey,

going into 6th form in Sept.
any advice?
i wanna do: econ, maths, eng lit +comp sci
+ what have you guys picked
I'm in year 13 and let me tell you, please start studying from the beginning and don't let topics pile up. Study a topic and do the past paper questions immediately. You will be grateful once exam time comes up. Its nothing like GCSEs. A Levels makes GCSEs look like the alphabet. Not trying to scare you.
Original post by e.rahnx
Hey,

going into 6th form in Sept.
any advice?
i wanna do: econ, maths, eng lit +comp sci
+ what have you guys picked

Heya!
I would recommend exploring some courses and seeing what the entry requirements are :h: Unis just want 3 alvls, so try sticking to that unless 4th one is FM. If it helps, use uniguide to explore!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Obsidian♡Hart
I'm in year 13 and let me tell you, please start studying from the beginning and don't let topics pile up. Study a topic and do the past paper questions immediately. You will be grateful once exam time comes up. Its nothing like GCSEs. A Levels makes GCSEs look like the alphabet. Not trying to scare you.

Good advice
Reply 4
Original post by Obsidian♡Hart

Hey, and yeah definitely will be revising From the beginning. THANKS for the advice. I am worried a bit for y12 but I actually somehow feel very prepared in the fact that Ik what I’m going into.
Reply 5
hey!

thanks for the reply. When you say most unis only want 3, does that mean they won’t even consider whatever 4th a level I have? Also, im really unsure on what I want to do for a career. I’ve considered many different ones yet im still unsure.
Original post by e.rahnx
hey!

thanks for the reply. When you say most unis only want 3, does that mean they won’t even consider whatever 4th a level I have? Also, im really unsure on what I want to do for a career. I’ve considered many different ones yet im still unsure.

You can always start off with four then drop one if you find you're not enjoying it :smile: you have a good range there for quite a few different courses, which is good if you're not sure what you want to do. I'd be inclined to say stick with those for now, then see how you feel once they get underway. Definitely agree with keeping up with things from the beginning too - you'll thank yourself later!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by e.rahnx
When you say most unis only want 3, does that mean they won’t even consider whatever 4th a level I have?

Unis will only look at the results from your top three A levels so AAA will always look better than AABB. In terms of future degrees/careers, over the summer I recommend that you research uni courses and, if you find courses that appeal to you, check the entry requirements to make sure you will be studying the right subjects at A level. Lots of sixth formers change their A level courses in the first few months of year 12 so don't worry too much about submitting your choices now.

Some resources that you might find useful:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
Reply 8
Didn’t know that regarding the best 3 a levels. Thank you for that and your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest