The Student Room Group

Sixth form

Hello!

What is the difference between sixth form and college?? Like where do you do your A levels. I thought it was at college but am I wrong?? If you do a levels at sixth form and your school doesn't have a sixth form where do you go?to another school?? I'm just confused lol

thanks
Original post by TofAndMow
Hello!

What is the difference between sixth form and college?? Like where do you do your A levels. I thought it was at college but am I wrong?? If you do a levels at sixth form and your school doesn't have a sixth form where do you go?to another school?? I'm just confused lol

thanks

Sixth Forms tend to be attached to a 11-16 school and tend to be more of a "school-like" environment with regular timetabling and you might have to stay in the building during normal school hours.

Sixth Form Colleges are often standalone with everyone in the building being Year 12/13 and will be more relaxed.

Colleges/Further Education colleges offer a lot more than A-Levels and will have other people doing various qualifications as well.
Hello!

thanks

Hi!

Sixth Form is where you usually do your A levels and College is usually more BTEC related. Sometimes, you will find Sixth form colleges, they are a combination of sixth form and college, meaning that they would do both BTEC and A levels.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Steljoy
Hi!

Sixth Form is where you usually do your A levels and College is usually more BTEC related. Sometimes, you will find Sixth form colleges, they are a combination of sixth form and college, meaning that they would do both BTEC and A levels.

Hope this helps! :smile:

thanks. since my school doesn't have a sixth form attached,does that mean I have to go to a different school?
Hello!

thanks

If your school doesn’t have a sixth form, you can go to a different schools sixth form. Or go to a sixth form college:smile:
Original post by Wooord
If your school doesn’t have a sixth form, you can go to a different schools sixth form. Or go to a sixth form college

thanks lol it's been making me worry for ages
thanks. since my school doesn't have a sixth form attached,does that mean I have to go to a different school?

Possibly that would be the case :smile: if you have any worries about not finding friends etc etc, you shouldn't! Because you will meet so many new people and it makes your experience a lot better!
Original post by Steljoy
Possibly that would be the case :smile: if you have any worries about not finding friends etc etc, you shouldn't! Because you will meet so many new people and it makes your experience a lot better!

thank u so much
Original post by Blue_Cow
Sixth Forms tend to be attached to a 11-16 school and tend to be more of a "school-like" environment with regular timetabling and you might have to stay in the building during normal school hours.

Sixth Form Colleges are often standalone with everyone in the building being Year 12/13 and will be more relaxed.

Colleges/Further Education colleges offer a lot more than A-Levels and will have other people doing various qualifications as well.

thanks
Reply 9
Original post by username3767260
Hello!

thanks

Hi, it depends on what college it is. Some college is a colleges allows you to do A-Level some is just BETCs only (I think). If your school does not have a sixth form (yeah) you have to go somewhere else.

Thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest