The Student Room Group

Physician Associate to Doctor

Hey all,
I'm currently training to be a Physician Associate, but I've always wanted to study medicine and become a doctor. I still intend to do this, after completing this course and getting some more experience/money.
I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's gone from being a PA to being a doctor, either through graduate entry medicine or an undergraduate degree.
If so, how did you find the transition, and were universities keen/not keen to accept you because you'd been a PA before?

Xxx
Are you currently doing a postgraduate
Original post by Naomi Jackson
The PA career is for doctor rejects. Well done on trying to better yourself.

what makes you say that?
The PA career is for doctor rejects. Well done on trying to better yourself.

Or maybe it's for people who want to be PAs? Don't be an ass,
Reply 4
Original post by TheEnchantress
Are you currently doing a postgraduate

Yeah I am. I did a BSc in Biomedicine then straight onto the PA course
And you sound like you're in denial :smile:

There's nothing for me to be in denial about, primarily because I'm not a PA and don't wish to be one.
As I said, you're just being extremely arrogant and distasteful.
See even you admit it's a failure :smile:

No? By that logic (or lack thereof), being a chartered accountant is failure because I don't want to be a chartered accountant.
Some people want to be PAs, it's not something I have personally considered.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by A.n.onymous
Yeah I am. I did a BSc in Biomedicine then straight onto the PA course

It's a question of whether you truly want to spend that much time studying to become a doctor really...
and then the years training, especially if you are attempting to become a consultant.
Original post by ugaaa5
No? By that logic (or lack thereof), being a chartered accountant is failure because I don't want to be a chartered accountant.
Some people want to be PAs, it's not something I have personally considered.

True, some people just want to be some things even tho others think it’s the rejection route.
It’s like asking a nurse why she didn’t become a doctor, some people just wanna be nurses, PAs period

Tbh you don't sound like you know what's going on in your heard. Consider seeing a shrink? (and not a PA shrink :lol: )
Original post by Shish_bish
True, some people just want to be some things even tho others think it’s the rejection route.
It’s like asking a nurse why she didn’t become a doctor, some people just wanna be nurses, PAs period

I'm fairly sure it's a troll account anyway.
Your mother was a troll and that's why you dropped out of her rectum.

Hi Naomi,
The whole point of this thread wasn't for you to start unloading on PAs. All I wanted to know was if anyone had gone from being a PA to being a doctor.
As a tip for the future, please remember that your conduct online is as important as your conduct in person, and that when you provide your full name on here it makes it rather easy to report your rather foul behaviour to important people, like your tutors for example. Secondly, as you say you're a medical student, I think everyone would expect a lot better behaviour and a lot more tolerance towards others. As a future doctor you should be able to appreciate the vital work that everyone plays in the NHS, from HCA to consultant. Finally, there are PAs working in lots of areas right now who are so qualified and well respected in their fields that they teach junior doctors and CT doctors. I suggest you find a PA and spend time with them so you realise what they're fully capable of. X
Original post by ugaaa5
It's a question of whether you truly want to spend that much time studying to become a doctor really...
and then the years training, especially if you are attempting to become a consultant.

I'm quite happy to spend the time studying, it'll make me a better healthcare professional.
All I wanted to know was if anyone had gone from PA to doctor and what it was like, I seem to have started WW3
Reply 12
Hi Naomi,
The whole point of this thread wasn't for you to start unloading on PAs. All I wanted to know was if anyone had gone from being a PA to being a doctor.
As a tip for the future, please remember that your conduct online is as important as your conduct in person, and that when you provide your full name on here it makes it rather easy to report your rather foul behaviour to important people, like your tutors for example. Secondly, as you say you're a medical student, I think everyone would expect a lot better behaviour and a lot more tolerance towards others. As a future doctor you should be able to appreciate the vital work that everyone plays in the NHS, from HCA to consultant. Finally, there are PAs working in lots of areas right now who are so qualified and well respected in their fields that they teach junior doctors and CT doctors. I suggest you find a PA and spend time with them so you realise what they're fully capable of. X

Very well put; you definitely have the right attitude to study medicine, unlike others who claim to be medical students.
Hi ! Ye I qualified from being PA and now in 3rd medical school.
Original post by Bidachanee
Hi ! Ye I qualified from being PA and now in 3rd medical school.

Really? That's good to hear. How long did you work as a PA before going into medicine? How was the transition? How's your course going? I have so many questions
Really? That's good to hear. How long did you work as a PA before going into medicine? How was the transition? How's your course going? I have so many questions

I worked as a PA for 2 years then decided to apply to medical school. The transition was fairly comfortable, it’s not a massive transition if I’m being honest. Ye the course is great. One thing you will notice is the pace at which we learn topics is a lot quicker in medicine than the PA degree but you get used to it.
Original post by Bidachanee
I worked as a PA for 2 years then decided to apply to medical school. The transition was fairly comfortable, it’s not a massive transition if I’m being honest. Ye the course is great. One thing you will notice is the pace at which we learn topics is a lot quicker in medicine than the PA degree but you get used to it.

Are you still gonna do 5 years of med school after studying and being a PA for 2 Years?.. And what made you decide to become a doctor and not stick to the PA

Latest