The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
Thank you! Are you making one this year?

yep :wink:
you'll probably see it around :tongue:
Original post by nyxnko_
yep :wink:
you'll probably see it around :tongue:

Be sure to tag me!
@_gcx mind PMing me a discord?
Original post by _gcx
Be sure to tag me!

Will do so :yes:
Been slightly neglectful of this thread. A few things:

My teacher is letting my friend sit FM1, so there's no reason why she won't let me sit FS1. This means I finish exams a few days earlier. My final exam will be STEP III (hopefully going out on a high) provided I sit it and FS1 otherwise. It also means that I'll have the Wednesday and Thursday completely free for STEP instead of worrying about D1 too. (though I would have the weekend for it) I'm far more confident with FS1, I find it easier, and it's ultimately more predictable. Will feel safer taking this. We've nearly finished D1 anyway.

My PS is due in a week or two and that's pretty intimidating. Physics should be fine since I'm answering as many questions as I can to make my teachers think I've cracked down over the summer. Seems to be working. Predictions should be at least A*A*AA. Still applying to those 4 and leaving the fifth blank.

With the Bath open day on the 15th I've visited all of my choices and I think I've established the order of Cambridge > Warwick \approx Bath > UCL. Which makes me unsure about what situation I'd go to UCL. I really liked Bath, course is good and the city is lovely. They really pushed the year in industry/placement year in the maths lecture so I'd probably take that up. (might as well)

Can't really think of what else to say so I'll leave it at this.

tags

Original post by _gcx

My teacher is letting my friend sit FM1, so there's no reason why she won't let me sit FS1. This means I finish exams a few days earlier. My final exam will be STEP III (hopefully going out on a high) provided I sit it and FS1 otherwise. It also means that I'll have the Wednesday and Thursday completely free for STEP instead of worrying about D1 too. (though I would have the weekend for it) I'm far more confident with FS1, I find it easier, and it's ultimately more predictable. Will feel safer taking this. We've nearly finished D1 anyway.

My PS is due in a week or two and that's pretty intimidating. Physics should be fine since I'm answering as many questions as I can to make my teachers think I've cracked down over the summer. Seems to be working. Predictions should be at least A*A*AA. Still applying to those 4 and leaving the fifth blank.

With the Bath open day on the 15th I've visited all of my choices and I think I've established the order of Cambridge > Warwick \approx Bath > UCL. Which makes me unsure about what situation I'd go to UCL. I really liked Bath, course is good and the city is lovely. They really pushed the year in industry/placement year in the maths lecture so I'd probably take that up. (might as well)

tags

d1 yes!

who thought euler circuits and sorts would be so enthralling.
Original post by thotproduct
d1 yes!

who thought euler circuits and sorts would be so enthralling.

sad to not do it obviously
Reply 27
Original post by _gcx

My final exam will be STEP III (hopefully going out on a high).

Even if it doesn't go well, you can still go out with a bang

Spoiler

Even if it doesn't go well, you can still go out with a bang

Spoiler

fortunately the last thing I'd want to do is stick around in school

would jump on tsr waiting for the embargo to expire then obsess over every mark
I think realistically if you know which unis you like and are likely to get offers from them all you don't need 5 choices. I have 4 choices on atm the same as you and the only reason I'd use my 4th at all is if I get rejected from Oxford, decide I don't want to go to Durham, then it would be my insurance probably in that case.
You're lucky you have another couple of weeks on your PS... My whole application has to be in by Monday :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
I think realistically if you know which unis you like and are likely to get offers from them all you don't need 5 choices. I have 4 choices on atm the same as you and the only reason I'd use my 4th at all is if I get rejected from Oxford, decide I don't want to go to Durham, then it would be my insurance probably in that case.
You're lucky you have another couple of weeks on your PS... My whole application has to be in by Monday :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'd be happy with at any of my 4, particularly the first three, and the offer rates for two are virtually 100%.

They have been unclear on when it's due. Some people have said end of this week, others end of this month. Either way is fine for me since mine is virtually finished.
Original post by _gcx

tags

who is this orderofthelotus character

nice to see it coming along smoothly budbud :h:
Mini-update:

Officially going to be doing FS1 so that's a massive relief. (pending mocks but I'm reasonably confident in doing better in FS1 than D1)

Press F to pay respects to the guy that could be in the exam hall until 5:30 because the physics/FP1 clash + about 50 minutes extra time. We'll have to wait an extra 20 minutes or so depending on which exam is first because we can't start the second exam until he's finished the first, which gives us a break so isn't all bad.

Moving in about 3 weeks. 6 weeks after the target of 31st August but happy. Despite only being half a mile away the polar of my new postcode is almost completely different which I thought was strange. My luck is that there's now an Intel chip shortage so I'll have to get a Ryzen with that awkward cooler install and a considerable performance decrease. (though I can oc)

More or less done with my personal statement.

Original post by _gcx
Yeah, I'd be happy with at any of my 4, particularly the first three, and the offer rates for two are virtually 100%.

They have been unclear on when it's due. Some people have said end of this week, others end of this month. Either way is fine for me since mine is virtually finished.

That's really good, pretty sure I'm the same which makes me kind of wonder if there's any point putting a 5th later assuming I get some offers I'd be happy with before the January deadline
Glad they're letting you sit FS1 :yep:
If people don't have an exam in the morning and there's space in the exam hall, your school can apply to move one of them to the morning and keep you all in isolation so everyone isn't there so late. You'd have thought they wouldn't have further maths and physics exams clashing even if it is a rarer fm exam, must be a pretty common clash!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
That's really good, pretty sure I'm the same which makes me kind of wonder if there's any point putting a 5th later assuming I get some offers I'd be happy with before the January deadline
Glad they're letting you sit FS1 :yep:
If people don't have an exam in the morning and there's space in the exam hall, your school can apply to move one of them to the morning and keep you all in isolation so everyone isn't there so late. You'd have thought they wouldn't have further maths and physics exams clashing even if it is a rarer fm exam, must be a pretty common clash!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I probably won't.

FS1 is great :h: They're pretty generous with marks from the looks of things. (10-12 marks for goodness of fit tests and most of the time the majority of cells are already filled!) A good one to round off with so I can feel that I've made up marks.

To be honest I'd rather staying a bit late than spending the whole day in isolation and having to discuss the exam with everyone else. I was surprised it happened because they're probably the last two subjects you'd let clash. Especially when there's only Chinese and Geography the following morning and no exams timetabled for afternoon on the friday, doesn't make much sense to me! I feel sorry for people with obscure combinations, they must have it worse.
Original post by _gcx
I probably won't.

FS1 is great :h: They're pretty generous with marks from the looks of things. (10-12 marks for goodness of fit tests and most of the time the majority of cells are already filled!) A good one to round off with so I can feel that I've made up marks.

To be honest I'd rather staying a bit late than spending the whole day in isolation and having to discuss the exam with everyone else. I was surprised it happened because they're probably the last two subjects you'd let clash. Especially when there's only Chinese and Geography the following morning and no exams timetabled for afternoon on the friday, doesn't make much sense to me! I feel sorry for people with obscure combinations, they must have it worse.

We haven't started the A2 bit but AS was certainly good :yep: I think I finish with D1 though
I thought you might say that :lol: Depends if your school reschedules them automatically or not I suppose. On the original timetable further core pure and computing clashed but they fixed that by moving further pure 3 weeks earlier :grumble: Would have rathered the coast. I guess their logic is a lot of physics students will be doing mechanics but it doesn't always work like that if you don't get a choice at your school obviously.
Tinier update: Got predicted an A* in physics, meaning that my predictions are probably going to be A*A*A*A. (never going to get predicted an A* in history, that'd be ridiculous)
Original post by _gcx
Tinier update: Got predicted an A* in physics, meaning that my predictions are probably going to be A*A*A*A. (never going to get predicted an A* in history, that'd be ridiculous)

Yes!

Far stranger things will have happened than you getting an A* prediction in History if you do indeed get one. What's the dropping situtation like?
Original post by etothepiiplusone
Yes!

Far stranger things will have happened than you getting an A* prediction in History if you do indeed get one. What's the dropping situtation like?

I do not deserve an A* prediction in history so I wouldn't be upset about not getting it.

Can't really drop around this point - might have missed my opportunity. uwu.png
Final predicted grades:

Pretty happy, this was realistically the maximum I could've got. Still pretty surprised about the A* in physics. Paying and sending when my dad gets home tonight to get him to shut up. (HoSF said my PS was good to go, just wanted me to restructure my first two sentences again) Then my application will be off by the end of the week.

tags

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending