The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys what does 8A* 1A 1B at GCSE score?
Reply 41
Original post by zainzhussain
Hey guys what does 8A* 1A 1B at GCSE score?

Depends what the B was in
Original post by Ipiranga
Have e mailed but no reply as yet

I wouldn't worry too much about this. The statistics isn't going to affect how YOUR personal statement scores. Just work on getting yours as good as it can be and apply. The key here is making sure you *reflect* rather than just list things.
Original post by GANFYD
Depends what the B was in

English Language
Original post by Asklepios
I wouldn't worry too much about this. The statistics isn't going to affect how YOUR personal statement scores. Just work on getting yours as good as it can be and apply. The key here is making sure you *reflect* rather than just list things.

Hi Asklepios, thanks for this, I am a Scottish school leaver and am currently sitting at probably 31 points so I am really on the threshold and it will depend on the non academic score. Still undecided about applying to Edinburgh due to my UKCAT
Rate my application!GCSEs: a 9, an 8 and a 5, 5 A*s , 3 AsA-levels: 3 As predicted with an A achieved at ASUkcat: 2990 band 2Personal statement is good with work experience, volunteering, wider reading, hobbies, super curriculars.What do you guys say? Risky or not?
Reply 46
Original post by zainzhussain
English Language

4/10
Reply 47
Original post by Mayonnaise2001
Rate my application!GCSEs: a 9, an 8 and a 5, 5 A*s , 3 AsA-levels: 3 As predicted with an A achieved at ASUkcat: 2990 band 2Personal statement is good with work experience, volunteering, wider reading, hobbies, super curriculars.What do you guys say? Risky or not?

Depends what your 5 was in, but you have already dropped at least 6 points and can score no more than 4/10 for GCSEs, so you are likely to be far too low for an offer, I'm afraid
Original post by cameron2101
Hi,

Couldn't see a forum for Edinburgh this year so I thought I'd make one as I'm curious who else is applying to Edinburgh for 2019 entry now that the UCAS deadline is approaching. How are people's grades and UKCAT scores? I got 6As at higher and a UKCAT of 712.5 (band 2). Do you think this is enough for an offer?

From my opinion, you should have a fair strong chance of getting an interview. Check the previous ukcat threshold to see what’s it like!
Original post by cameron2101
I'm in a similar situation to you, how did your phone call go? :smile:

I did not get any information about rough percentages for how many applicants have scored a 5 or 6 in the past
I don’t think that they are willing to give out that information unfortunately
Hey guys! I’m applying to Edinburgh too but I just graduated so am hoping for an interview.
My UKCAT is 2830, 707.5 avg band 1, so if I end up in the 8th decile will I lose 1 or 2 points?
Pretty sure I get a full score on academics as I have a 1st, and AAAAABC Highers and a B at adv higher (they are less dependant on school grades). Think my PS is good but it’s so subjective. Anyone have an idea If I could scrape an interview??
Hey guys! I'm really hoping to apply to Edinburgh but I'm really worried about my band 2 in sjt

UKCAT: 700avg, band 2
GCSES: 10A*s
IB: 45 (currently on a gap year, so already achieved)
Pretty good PS imo, but again very subjective

Do I stand a shot applying?
Hi Asklepios, thanks for this, I am a Scottish school leaver and am currently sitting at probably 31 points so I am really on the threshold and it will depend on the non academic score. Still undecided about applying to Edinburgh due to my UKCAT

Hey! I'm in a similar position - also at 31 points (I think), as I loose 3 points for my UKCAT score (band 2 ah!!!) Interested to hear about the response to your email
Glad I saw this thread! Edinburgh is my second choice. My statistics are:
UKCAT: 3150 (787.5) - Band 1
GCSEs: 10A* 1A
A-Level Predictions: 3A* in Biology, Chemistry, and Maths

What does everyone think my chances are?
Also, since Oxford is my first choice, my personal statement and reference are mainly focused on academic stuff so I'm slightly worried about a low non-academic score for Edinburgh - how much non-academic stuff (and what sort of stuff) do you guys reckon would enable a high score?
UKCAT 735 SJT Band 1
GCSE; 6A*, 5A
A level Predicted ; A*A*A Art ,BIO, Chem
WE; 2 week hospital, 1 year care home, 2 week GP surgery
strong PS

Should I still apply?
Original post by biomed99
Hey! I'm in a similar position - also at 31 points (I think), as I loose 3 points for my UKCAT score (band 2 ah!!!) Interested to hear about the response to your email

The e mail replied with only 1% of applicants score a 6 but they did not know what % get a 5 so still don’t know I also phoned but they couldn’t give the information
Original post by Davo123
Also, since Oxford is my first choice, my personal statement and reference are mainly focused on academic stuff so I'm slightly worried about a low non-academic score for Edinburgh - how much non-academic stuff (and what sort of stuff) do you guys reckon would enable a high score?

Think that they are looking for a number of different non academics at a reasonable level such as sports, music, drama etc
I received an e mail stating that only 1% score a 6 for non academics and have read elsewhere on TSR that you would probably have to have achieved internationally !
Thanks, I am going to phone them today to see if I can find out, if I do I will let you know

I received an e mail from Edinburgh which stated that only 1% receive a score of 6 and they cannot give out the % for a score of 5
Just interested in where you found the 10% figure from?
Hey guys, I’m really worried about my non-academic score for my PS. I just don’t have many hobbies or achievements. I like photography & running etc. and I did do team gymnastics 2 or 3 years back but I probably shouldn’t mention something from so long ago? What extracurriculars is everyone else writing about? Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending