The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
The turnout was higher than the recent GEs actually. Even for the youth voters.

I have no wish to lock antlers but to claim 60% in favour of a second referendum so... the result should stand. Which aspect of reality do you ignore?
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 61
Original post by Vinny C
I have no wish to lock antlers but to claim 60% in favour of a second referendum so... the result should stand. Which aspect of reality do you ignore?

uh, what? TSR isn't the total electorate... And how many members on TSR have "abstained" from this poll?
uh, what? TSR isn't the total electorate... And how many members on TSR have "abstained" from this poll?

That was the problem... the total electorate did not participate. Some were on the fence, some were slapped down by Boris charisma and some just considered it a forgone conclusion that we would remain. You fear the silent voice arising in the event of a second vote and by God... we will!
Reply 63
Original post by Vinny C
That was the problem... the total electorate did not participate. Some were on the fence, some were slapped down by Boris charisma and some just considered it a forgone conclusion that we would remain. You fear the silent voice arising in the event of a second vote and by God... we will!

I'll say again, more people participated in the Referendum than in recent General Elections. You can't expect a 100% turnout...............
I'll say again, more people participated in the Referendum than in recent General Elections. You can't expect a 100% turnout...............

And I'll say again... 60% in favour of a rerun now more of us are paying attention.
Reply 65
Original post by Vinny C
And I'll say again... 60% in favour of a rerun now more of us are paying attention.

All this TSR poll indicates is that fewer of the youth voters are in favour of a rerun than originally voted Remain. You can't extrapolate a few hundred TSRians to say the entire electorate wants a rerun ..
All this TSR poll indicates is that fewer of the youth voters are in favour of a rerun than originally voted Remain. You can't extrapolate a few hundred TSRians to say the entire electorate wants a rerun ..

Enough do... and you know it.
Kinda need a "don't know" option,

There are significant drawbacks and benefits of both options. But I think government by referendum is fundamentally flawed in a way.

Britain has really catch 22 it's self. Gg
Original post by Vinny C

On one website.....

The referendum was nationwide. Turnout was the highest it has been for years for any vote. Most of those who voted did so to leave. In a national vote, only those who vote are counted.
Referendums became more and more popular as seen under Blair. And there was a referendum on the EEC in 1975, but i don't see there having been a mass movement for a second referendum?

People still don't know what remaining or leaving would mean, partially due to the bias narrative most major new sources have got behind - caring little for a balanced argument, including, worryingly, the BBC.

Unless the referendum is based on the terms, and not Britain looking to stay in. But the same argument can be applied, people will never really understand what they're voting for (though this would be swept under the carpet if the Remoaners got their way of course)
Original post by That'sGreat
Referendums became more and more popular as seen under Blair. And there was a referendum on the EEC in 1975, but i don't see there having been a mass movement for a second referendum?

People still don't know what remaining or leaving would mean, partially due to the bias narrative most major new sources have got behind - caring little for a balanced argument, including, worryingly, the BBC.

Unless the referendum is based on the terms, and not Britain looking to stay in. But the same argument can be applied, people will never really understand what they're voting for (though this would be swept under the carpet if the Remoaners got their way of course)

And of course this argument applies to the original EU ref, which presumably would mean it is invalid.

Most people don't know what it would mean because they have a full-time job and a family to worry about. It has nothing to do with media. If they really wanted to, they could go on the official Dot Gov site and see in detail the current plan. They don't want to do that, though. Why?
Original post by Andrew97
On one website.....

The referendum was nationwide. Turnout was the highest it has been for years for any vote. Most of those who voted did so to leave. In a national vote, only those who vote are counted.

And those who wish to vote now? Maybe once we elect a govt it should stand forever?
Reply 72
May kept talking about "frictionless trade" yesterday, some suspect this means a deal has alreadyu been done and she was dancing on the grave of the Brexit many businesses wanted - one that enables free trade outside the EU.

Are these people being pessimistic? She did mention Kenya so I suspect they are, we she see more in a couple of weeks.
Original post by Vinny C
And those who wish to vote now? Maybe once we elect a govt it should stand forever?

Tough. A referendum is not like a GE.
Original post by Notoriety
No.

I feel delivering a Brexit no one wanted, by preventing us from entering into trade deals for several years post-Brexit, is pointless. No Brexit over nominal Brexit.

The only thing we can do is to ask the people want they actually meant by Brexit; see if the Chequers plan is anywhere near it. If it isn't, why are we bothering with the whole thing?

But people did want this Brexit - no deal is better then a bad deal, and the media has hyped this up to such an apocalyptic-sized problem, that people are getting into a tizzy about it for no reason, the EU would be wise to make a deal with us as they get more from us then we do from them, even if they don't, there are so many other countries that we can make trade deals with.
Original post by Keele University Guest Lecturer
Would a second referendum be a gross betrayal of peoples’ trust in UK democracy as stated by the Prime Minister?

On one hand, violations of promises by people or governments are a violation of trust.

On the other hand, referendums are not a normal part of the democratic process in the UK and therefore it seems unlikely that such a violation would substantially undermine our trust in our democratic form of government. This conclusion is furthered by the fact that:

(a) there have been questions about the honesty of the information presented by both sides of the Brexit debate

(b) both sides have received fines for breaching electoral campaign funding law.

Finally, government and politicians could deal with this potential violation of trust by accounts, explanations, and, apologies, as well as by wording any second referendum in a way that respects the diversity of opinion in the UK about Brexit.

What do you think? Post your thoughts here.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ken J. Rotenberg is a Professor in the School of Psychology at Keele University. The primary focus of his research is on interpersonal trust. He has some 40 publications and 3 books on the topic including The Psychology of Trust published by Routledge Press. He has written on the topic for Psychology Today and The Conversation.

He is on TSR to get involved in this debate.

Yeah Id be really frustrated by it.
Original post by Vinny C

On a STUDENT ROOM - not exactly representative mate, you couldn't find more remainers on one website if you tried :congrats:
The turnout was higher than the recent GEs actually. Even for the youth voters.

Dear Doonesbury and others:

Abstaining is a problem in any democratic process. Having said that, some people maintain that abstaining is a right and that it can represent an actual perspective (i.e., I do not support or endorse any of the options). Indeed, this is one reason that I am concerned about the statements by the PM. If the government choose to have a second referendum I hope that people will not abandon the democratic process in the UK, including the referendum process. These mechanisms are the only legitimate way people can affect their government.

Yours, Ken
Original post by CurlyBen
Arguably the biggest problem with the first referendum is that 'leave' wasn't a well defined option, but could be interpreted freely. If we had a second referendum, what would 'remain' mean? Would the EU let us continue under the same terms we were on before? If not, what then? Even if they would, should we ignore the problems that being a member of the EU brings and led to the vote in the first place?

No of course it wouldn't be the same, its either leave or get a **** deal within the EU. If we don't leave, our government will look incredibly weak, and the media is already destroying our reputation within the EU, making it so much harder to get a good deal, really we should be showing a united front for the good of the country, no matter what you originally voted. We gave Europe a chance before Brexit to revise the terms of the agreement in a 'reform agreement' and they refused. This is getting pathetic ya know :/ Our influence over the voting in the EU was terrible. Over the past twenty years there were 72 occasions in the Council of Ministers where the UK opposed a particular measure. Of those 72 occasions, we lost 72 times. We contributed 13% of their budget, being the 3rd biggest contributor in Europe. Also they are banning memes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
These are good questions to pose :smile:
Reply 79
Call for a second referendum are hugely undermining of public trust because they are changing the parameters of decision making from real life to fantasy. In real life, people work with the information that they have at the time, not with hindsight. Everyone voted in good faith based on the information that was available to them at the time. That's how the world works. We can all live our lives retrospectively, waiting for hindsight before decididng if an event happened or not, but that would be fantasyland. Just get on with it.

Latest